What did you do on your 70 series today? (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drove to the new job and got a sunset on the way home.

4ACF7151-B291-4399-8D3C-AAEF70C87CAB.jpeg

My cruiser had been getting flaky about changing out of 4wd. It was an intermittent problem & it took a while to work out that the 4wd control computer was crapping out & not switching the vacuum solenoid valves that feed the diaphragm that shifts the transfer case. Given my electric hubs are long gone it was well overdue to simplify the system. So the box of electronics was replaced with a simple changeover relay. This also means it doesn't automatically switch into 4wd when in low range.

i-TpXLq45-XL.jpg

Rewired the 4wd warning light also. I had installed a bank of relay sockets under the hood a while back to feed the spotlights & locker, & had left a spare one, so that made the relay install fairly tidy.

While I had the dash out I upgraded the old speakers too.

i-jf5Wf45-XL.jpg

Cheers
Clint

Thanks for stopping by Onur. Sorry we couldn't hang out longer.

Long time coming for an update on the BJ74:
  • Adapted and powdercoated Coastal Offroad's late 70 series front bumper (posting a build thread on this)
    • There's a spot for a winch but I think I'd have to extend the mounting points on the frame a bit to fit one in, for now I just wanted to have the option.
    • Hella 4000 series euro driving lights
  • Kaymar rear bumper modified with some helpful advice from @joekatana.
    • Still waiting for the correct tire carrier plate from long range america (~6 months now...).
    • My exhaust sooted it up a bit but I've since dropped it an inch or two.
    • Haven't decided what to do with the second swingarm - it came with dual tire carriers but that's excessive for me.
  • New shoes (Terra Grappler II 285/75/16)
  • Switched solenoid added to blow-off valve with 12 PSI limit - let's me lock it down and run 15-20 boost if I start to see high EGTs towing or climbing a hill...I was never clear if it was a good idea to run constant high boost so erred a little above stock. I have only seen pre-turbo EGTs above 850 when towing since I started running 12 PSI, my normal is about 400-600*F around town and in the 700 +/-100 range cruising..
  • Never ending list of minor maintenance things
20191204_085742.jpg

20191204_085751.jpg

20191204_085803.jpg

20191204_085813.jpg

20191204_085821.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom