What did you do on your 70 series today? (33 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haha 😆 agreed! It is time.
I’ve seen a number of “fire truck” conversions and with most the profile strikes me as odd. You however have solved that issue with the trey bed. The flat roof is simply more icing on the cake. 👍

Last edited:
Took the hound for a drive, he loves the soft top.

1988B94D-85A7-4A25-9488-949233ADE218.jpeg

It’s snowing today…gotta love Colorado in the spring.

Picked up @SKULLYOTA 's HZJ73. Got started with switching some of my old parts from my now sold 80 onto it. I missed having a dedicated wheeling rig and this should fill the gap well.
20230413_153459.jpg

Added an Amsteel synthetic cable and a factor 55 hook onto it. Gave it a good scrub down and got it registered.
20230413_185155.jpg

Last edited:
Hit the road for a work trip to Marin and spent the night midway in the Mojave. It was the first trip with the new buildout on the driver's side and man, what a difference. No more bags strapped down everywhere. Everything has a drawer or cubby that it gets tucked into. Even making coffee while I fill up at the gas station is a cinch with the 2000w inverter and electric kettle. It's taken three years to get the ol' 75 to where it is today but worth every penny...

Also, even with the 40g aux tank (280lbs, behind the axle) and the main tank full, I'm still getting 25mpg consistently with the R2.8.

View attachment 3278585

We need a build thread for this beauty

We need a build thread for this beauty
Took my dogs for a drive today also, bit they like to run along in front of the truck

Today we hit walking speed climbing out of the river

View attachment 3299118
Someone a few weeks ago somone replied to one of my posts saying "nobody rock climbs in a troopy"....Well this isn't "rock buggy type" rock climbing but it is the type that can damage your vehicle if you don't take care, drive with skill, and protect low hanging parts.

Someone a few weeks ago somone replied to one of my posts saying "nobody rock climbs in a troopy"....Well this isn't "rock buggy type" rock climbing but it is the type that can damage your vehicle if you don't take care, drive with skill, and protect low hanging parts.
i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but i used to "rock buggy", the experience i gleaned from those years gives me the confidence to get a mildly built Troopy in and out of trails i really shouldnt be on with it.

i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but i used to "rock buggy", the experience i gleaned from those years gives me the confidence to get a mildly built Troopy in and out of trails i really shouldnt be on with it.
Wouldn't it be lovely to already be aware of how much is good, and how much is too much... and wouldn't it be lovely if that experience came with only good experiences?

Experience when it comes to off road driving is priceless. The experience necessary for ultimate safety is unfortunately more expensive than most people can afford to obtain by making the mistakes necessary to become proficient.

Last edited:
I did a bit of research on the history of my BJ73's manufacturing.

From this post I learned: My VIN was assigned on Thursday October 31st 1985.
It actually is just a few items earlier than the VIN that is known to be item 1 of November 1st 1985.

From this thread I learned:
There is a code for the casting date on the block of my 3B (right side, just under the oil pressure switch). It reads 57|B, which means '2nd working day in July 1985', which likely was Tuesday July 2nd 1985, I guess.

Perfect match, so my engine is the original one, I suppose.
I understood, there are no traceable records that would tell which engine- gearbox- and axle-serial-# went into a specific VIN, so 'matching numbers' can't be proofed. But I'm happy 😊
Thank you @OGBeno for providing the details.
Cheers Ralf

Last edited:
Started preparing troopy chassis frame 1989 fj75. This is the minimum angle required to let the water run out to the back of the rails past the under cut spot. I drilled a little drainage hole on my good troopy in the fortifying cup above the front shackle eyelet. It is a for sure mud collector so I shall do the same on this one.

1682054027490.png

1682054296569.png

1682054398487.png

Yep, that gusset in the front is almost gone on my BJ74.

New wheels and tires. The XZLs looked cool and I liked the taco spares but 1 inch no name spacers were a bit sketch and the Michelins were SO DAMN LOUD. The Nomad 16s do fit no spacers, just needed to trim the little brake duct thing a tad. Went "reasonable" with 295/75r16s, I think its solid proportions, wanted 35s but let reason win.

btw, anyone looking for 5 XZL 8.25r16s on tacoma spares, they look reallll cool :)

Side note, I think 4x4labs changed their rear bumper mount system a bit, anyone have a recent rear from them I could get some pics from? I think it makes sense (new system seems to sandwich the frame C right behind the original crossmember) but I'd love a bit of confirmation. Struggling to get ahold of the gang over there, I know they are slammed post snow. @4x4labs
IMG_2989.jpg
EA9BD738-7912-4FDF-94BB-264F59F574A1.JPG
IMG_2978.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom