What are you working on? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@RWBeringer4x4 I have left over soil too now:

I’m running out of places to put it...when I excavated the hole I used all the dirt to fill in a bunch of random places around the yard. I even built a hill... I didn’t realize I’d basically be filling the whole hole back in with the dirt from the wall trench. Some of that will go to finishing leveling off the pad and backfilling the wall, but I’m going to need to find somewhere to put a LOT of dirt when this is done.

A quick one this morning.
The vacuum pot on the 43 year dissy I was running called it in...probably a while ago actually, and I was patiently waiting for cityracer to get these back in stock.
I have the hardest time getting distributors seated back in the oil pump, and then I want to pull it out and stick back 20 more times just to make sure its properly seated..so here I have all the way out or all the way in pix.....and not a single one in between.
Iam pretty pleased with the pertronix ignition that it has been running

20200607_085539.jpg

20200607_085625.jpg

After having it for about 18 months and putting under 3k miles on it, the 200 made its maiden voyage carrying the family and camper up to VT!

Nothing else to talk about?

Brian- I have heard numerous horror stories about people trying to reinstall distributors. I personally know of two people (not me) who ruined good engines by not engaging the oil pump drive slot properly when (incorrectly) installing the dissy. It ain't rocket science but does sometime require patience. I have had a few distributors that were extremely hard to remove just didn't want to give up the tight fit of the O ring seal in the bore and had to be actually pried out. That gets scary!!!

Think I may have jacked up the exhaust cam ... :bang:

I watched the video tutorial from @OTRAMM a few days back, also had extensive nores from my prior HG install. Pulled the intake cam before I set the screw stay for the exhaust cam and I think my spring sprung. Anyone else ever done this stupid before and know how to make it right?

Hard to see it, but the holes don't line up anymore ... what a moron thing to do.
20200610_140457[1].jpg

20200610_140511[1].jpg

20200610_140530[1].jpg

Looks like maybe the front slid one tooth counter clockwise? You can just see a portion of the hole in the 2nd and 3rd pics.Can I grab the front gear with big channel locks and rotate it back? Does it even go that way? Balls.

I blame this on it being so stupid hot out today. So close to getting this off that I didn't take the time to check steps.

Grabbing a hold of the thin gear is going to be the challenge. If you can do that without damage, it looks like turning it one tooth clockwise will do the trick. Does there happen to be another hole 180* from the one pictured? If so, an adjustable pin spanner wrench might do the trick.

Doing a little PM before summer takes hold 100%. Looking to upgrade my fan clutch to the Blue clutch and replacing a few hoses. Do I need to change the fan fluid out with the new clutch or just install and go? When I'm sitting in traffic, the AC kicks on and off quite a bit which I THINK means the coolant temp is too high? Anything else I should be looking for?

@RobE30 ... not the cheapest remedy, but I'm thinking I may install this for the same situation. Assuming the ballooning HG repair budget allows.

Here is a MUD link as well:

Last edited:
Rob, just replace the fluid in your clutch. Really a simple job. I used this a couple years back, worked great:

Linky

gave the ol 2F a valve clearance adjustment this afternoon, and found a cool video thing on my phone, it's actually pretty handy in determining where noise or vibration is coming from on machinery.....and rather pleased with my vacuum.
and it turnsout that an old school sears dwell/tach meter, doesn't work with pertronix ignition ....kinda bummed about that actually, i was hoping to being to actually set the idle speed to 650rpm, rather than guess at it.

Last edited:
Brian the only thing that keeps me from adjusting the valves on the 40 is taking the air cleaner off. For some reason I hate doing that.

i only do it about once a year, or as the vacuum gauge dictates....i should have taken a before vid...it was down around 16-17 and very erratic. i could probably do both on no.1 again sounds like they are both still a little loud....and they might get rid of the slight flutter it still has.

i actually had mine off to repaint it...for some reason i cant explain i painted everything that is black, with flat black....been going and redoing with semi gloss.....the roll bar is going to be bitch.

i only do it about once a year, or as the vacuum gauge dictates....i should have taken a before vid...it was down around 16-17 and very erratic. i could probably do both on no.1 again sounds like they are both still a little loud....and they might get rid of the slight flutter it still has.

i actually had mine off to repaint it...for some reason i cant explain i painted everything that is black, with flat black....been going and redoing with semi gloss.....the roll bar is going to be bitch.
Well I haven't done the valves on the 40 in a few years. They could use an adjustment, I can tell that from the sound, but the truck runs so well that I haven't felt the "need" to get at it. Maybe this week. I'd actually like to remove some of the welded on bracketry from the air cleaner and clean up its' appearance a bit. All those little brackets that held smog system components would get removed if I do this. My air cleaner is painted gloss black. Actually an oil change would be a good thing to do, too, at the same time I adjust the valves.

And I would love to paint my rollcage, but yes indeed, what a PITA project it would be! I've touched up a few areas over the years and some of it us plastered with event stickers. And there's always a few spots where overspray from my rattle can touching up on the body landed on the rollcage. Then there is the horizontal piece that runs right behind the upper dash pad- it's weathered to a completely flat dull finish. Every time I look at it (and it's right in front of me every time I drive the truck) I think about painting the entire cage but haven't jumped at it. yet.

I sanitized the air cleaner on both the 75 and 87...they look much better.

Also figured out how to hook up my new old toy.
Books say idle speed should be 650...but that seems way to high. But atleast I can adjust up for timing and tune up purposes then back it down to my liking.

20200613_075935.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom