What are you working on? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Almost done...mostly assembled minus the top. Paint is a solid 6/10 but it’s mostly there to prevent rust anyway - I’m sure it’s going to get knocked/scratched and bashed/burned in due course anyway.

6737DC84-3DFB-4B11-A9AD-94B2BA9CD79C.jpeg

Started in on what seems it will be a super slow-mo head gasket, front seals, exhaust refurb process.

New Magnaflow Y-pipe with CAT
20200528_113106[1].jpg

Hood off and headlights out
20200528_143208[1].jpg

Going to try and replace as many rusted bolts/parts as possible as I go. Bottom half of the truck is just covered in oil everywhere. Stock front plate under the radiator caked so thick I scraped it off.
20200528_143159[1].jpg

20200528_143203[1].jpg

Hoping to be done with things in the engine by mid-July, but already have a VERY long parts list coming together.

If your truck is still mobile, take to the car wash and spend $20 to blast the underside cleaner. I didn't. I really wish I did...

I'd also recommend replacing the hardware on the Magnaflow piece. Take a look in my build thread to see what will happen if you don't.

Truck is no longer drive-able Pete, will just clean as I go. I don't mind the oily as much as the rusty. Made some further progress today, but took some effort to get the crank pulley off. I doubt it has ever been off since new.

This pic is AFTER I started clening it up a bit. Everything is coated in oil or semi rusty.
20200530_131132[1].jpg

Hit a major snag on the oil gasket cover. One of the screw heads stripped out.

20200530_141255[2].jpg

Truck is no longer drive-able Pete, will just clean as I go. I don't mind the oily as much as the rusty. Made some further progress today, but took some effort to get the crank pulley off. I doubt it has ever been off since new.

This pic is AFTER I started clening it up a bit. Everything is coated in oil or semi rusty.
View attachment 2324191

The more it leaks, the less it rusts!

Put the Tundra to work today, and my body -_-

First thing this morning was grabbing 2x6, pavers, and rebar to make a couple of raises gardens in the back yard (completed pictures of those tomorrow), for now my ugly mug with the payload in the bed:

While it would be nice to have an 8 foot bed, its just nice to have a bed at all, doing these tasks with the 4Runner and a trailer would have been ridiculous.

Next I finally got in contact with my coworker who has a tire machine at his shop:

Loaded up the truck with as much as I could (still have 3 sets left, one that Gary may be taking off my hands).

Look at all the room!

Finally got the 35s mounted so I can start fitting them and cutting up the 4Runner some more:

Now I can take the tires to the dump and either sell or scrap the rest of the wheels.

Also for a little fun:

Tundra would look good with some 35s eh?
Andy said "yes, but please don't" we'll see when the time comes to have to replace tires hehehe

New Magnaflow Y-pipe with CAT
View attachment 2322821

Looks like it arrived undamaged during shipping....that's a real shame.
I ordered one awhile back for I forget which 80....and darned the luck, it arrived damaged. When I took it out of the box, all of the catalyst had broken up and fallen out of it....was a real bummer, but pressed for time as I was, I installed it anyway.....

@brian .... I see what you are saying there. I need to make a similar repair on the CAT on my trail rig. It rattles like angry bees are inside it when I take my foot off the gas on the highway.

Week before last I finally fired up the welder to A) make sure it worked, and B) practice practice practice. These are some of the first welds I did with the recommended settings on the machine for Flux Core that I'm using.

Then after some deliberation and discussion with those who have welded including the professional himself Mr. @jamarquardt22 I did some testing with bumping up the amperage and playing with the wire speed:

i had been pulling my welds so Andy recommend I try pushing then:

its a start, have a ways to go, no sure if I'll have my sliders on for the June run, but July I should.

i have a tone of ideas and projects now I want to do, but I have to get a little bit better with the flux to where I'm comfortable.

Forgot to add this to my last post, I've got some wiring to do as well now, every time I'd get close to ending a bead the breaker would trip, no matter which two of the outlets I have in the garage I used, and this is why:

When the previous owner finished the basement he wired in the circuits for most outlets and the lights into the same breaker. I found these:

I will use those to eliminate the multiple wires in one breaker And that should leave a three slots at least that I can use to wire up a dedicated 20amp service for the welder.

gasless flux cored mig wire, is more like stick welding from a roll...just remember, "if there's slag you drag".
best thing you can do is up the game to using inert gas and solid wire.

Finally about done...time to start loading it up. After that I can hopefully clean the damn garage and get back to regularly scheduled programming (FJ40 stuff). It’s awesome when you design something and it works like you planned!

DE56B3E7-C764-4F1A-A6FF-6CC7F1E0DA5E.jpeg

F68D23A7-F1E3-4963-A616-711EEF3E7D76.jpeg

B309541A-F58C-4607-99C4-F871938818FB.jpeg

Meanwhile, I’m in the home stretch of what has become known as the “pit of despair” in my side yard. I’ve got 2 of 4 tranches dug for the retaining wall. After that it’s the “easy” part - laying in the walk, backfllling, and spreading aggregate. Ultimately it’ll house a 16x20 shed to get my mower and lawn crap out of the garage, and a bunch of other stuff out of the basement. Because I’m an idiot, I decided to dig this 20x24 hole into a hill by hand. Never again. But hey, it’s good exercise...

057E2B88-22DF-4A92-8F8F-39A168C8A7AA.jpeg

Also because I couldn’t bear digging another hole this summer, I decided to garden my deck...

1A64C119-27D3-4AEA-A8A9-75179076F8F1.jpeg

Finally about done...time to start loading it up. After that I can hopefully clean the damn garage and get back to regularly scheduled programming (FJ40 stuff). It’s awesome when you design something and it works like you planned!

View attachment 2329732

View attachment 2329733

View attachment 2329734

Meanwhile, I’m in the home stretch of what has become known as the “pit of despair” in my side yard. I’ve got 2 of 4 tranches dug for the retaining wall. After that it’s the “easy” part - laying in the walk, backfllling, and spreading aggregate. Ultimately it’ll house a 16x20 shed to get my mower and lawn crap out of the garage, and a bunch of other stuff out of the basement. Because I’m an idiot, I decided to dig this 20x24 hole into a hill by hand. Never again. But hey, it’s good exercise...

View attachment 2329752

Also because I couldn’t bear digging another hole this summer, I decided to garden my deck...

View attachment 2329754
I borrowed /rented a tractor with a bucket and back hoe to move less the 2 yards of dirt. Worth every penny!

Also the expanded metal above the drawers is no good. They will fill with dirt.

I borrowed /rented a tractor with a bucket and back hoe to move less the 2 yards of dirt. Worth every penny!

Also the expanded metal above the drawers is no good. They will fill with dirt.

Everyone’s a critic...The thought crossed my mind... I even though about making the drawer bottoms from expanded metal so the dust could fall right through.

There’s a slag tray above the telescoping table/extension that should catch the majority of crap. The welder and saw will catch the rest, technically. I’m sure over time dust will collect in there but it’s not a ton of effort to pull out the drawer and dump it every decade or so.

As for borrowing a tractor - I would 100% rent a mini excavator next time without question. Honestly I thought digging the foundation myself would be easier and save some money. In hindsight paying someone to dig the foundation and building the shed myself would have been cheaper easier. Live and learn...

Looked like rain so decided to unload the last load of soil, I noticed when I picked it up that it seemed like the guy poured a little heavy:

i was right, before the hitch just cleared the wood, this time it sits at least half an inch below it.

After all was said and done I took my proud Dirty work horse Toyota picture:

@RWBeringer4x4 I have left over soil too now:

One thing I like about having a drop in bed liner is I can remove it to clean out the bed easier:

i did discover a nasty dent in the bed though:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom