What are you working on? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So it was that easy?

The front mounts aren't flat and in an awkward spot, quick trip to ACE Hardware for some misc bolts and sleeves and it should be fine. Just deciding on the best way to proceed.

Also thinking of cutting the shroud down the middle for simple removal if needed. Both sides have an upper and lower stay and I don't think the center would sag. Otherwise, ever time I need to get in that area the fan will have to come off, which means my belts come off and it turns into a project.

Got everything back together today, no leaks and got the fan shroud on too, so that's a plus. Downside is it still sounds like I have crickets under the hood and the ScanGauge is still bouncing between 12.1-13.7 volts. Anyone have thoughts on what could be causing that to happen?

Before I put the shroud back on:
20190830_121537[1].jpg

Took it for a quick shakedown ride and temps with the AC on never went above 190*F.
20190830_150553[1].jpg

Not sure if I’d worry too much about what the scan gauge is saying on a truck of that vintage. From a charging standpoint amps are more important than volts. What does it do if you load the system up? If you put high beams on, rear defroster, and the blower on full blast does it do the same thing? They are made to fluctuate depending on load, so expect it to dance a bit at idle with no load. You don’t want the alternator full fielding all the time.

Been a long few weeks - this weekend is 5 weeks since my wife's fall - she is about 80% as-of this week! Things are slowly getting back to normal.

My goal this weekend, to get the Jeep and the Taco running again.

The Jeep would not idle as-of two weeks ago. Bought a new Idle Control Valve and TPS for $40 shipped. Put them in tonight, cleaned the throttle body and she fired right up!

Tomorrow, the Taco lives again!

Not sure if I’d worry too much about what the scan gauge is saying on a truck of that vintage. From a charging standpoint amps are more important than volts. What does it do if you load the system up? If you put high beams on, rear defroster, and the blower on full blast does it do the same thing? They are made to fluctuate depending on load, so expect it to dance a bit at idle with no load. You don’t want the alternator full fielding all the time.

Thanks Blair, I'm just comparing it to the other truck that runs the gauge at 14.1-14.7 consistently. I took it out for another small ride yesterday and saw the volts creeping down 10.9-12.4 now. Guess I will throw a multimeter on the alternator to verify I'm getting a charge and move forward from there. I will be disappointed if I did all this work and the new alternator is defective.

Thanks Blair, I'm just comparing it to the other truck that runs the gauge at 14.1-14.7 consistently. I took it out for another small ride yesterday and saw the volts creeping down 10.9-12.4 now. Guess I will throw a multimeter on the alternator to verify I'm getting a charge and move forward from there. I will be disappointed if I did all this work and the new alternator is defective.
In that case sounds like what you don’t want to hear.

@Blair ... just went out and tried what you suggested ... brights, AC, radio, fan on full blast and held idle at 1800rpm .. volts held steady at 13.4-13.5 ... as soon as I turned all that stuff off, it started oscillating between 12.6-13.6 right away. I jumps ~every second.

Been a long few weeks - this weekend is 5 weeks since my wife's fall - she is about 80% as-of this week! Things are slowly getting back to normal.

I think I missed the original post. Good to hear that she is recovering, but I know how that sort of thing can take you out of commission.

I think I posted in the monthly run thread last month.

She fell from a horse and hit her head pretty good. Spent 2-1/2 weeks in the hospital. Head injury and fractured pelvis.

She has been improving well over the past two weeks. I knew she would be ok when I came home from work on Wednesday and she had made a batch of whoopie pies!

Still gets tired fast, but otherwise pretty normal now.

Andy, Glad to hear she is getting better.

Reactions: caz
My oldest son helped me fill the tranny and cases last night and wash it today. She lives again after 9 months!

View attachment 2072831
Dual cases baby!
You beat me to it... Damn CO trip got my priorities all twisted.
Good work!
Can't wait till Theo helps me fill a trans, awesome!

Last edited:
I think I posted in the monthly run thread last month.

She fell from a horse and hit her head pretty good. Spent 2-1/2 weeks in the hospital. Head injury and fractured pelvis.

She has been improving well over the past two weeks. I knew she would be ok when I came home from work on Wednesday and she had made a batch of whoopie pies!

Still gets tired fast, but otherwise pretty normal now.
Life is fragile, crazy how a "little trail ride" can go off the rails like this.
Also glad to hear she's improving.
Will keep you guys in mind, thanks for posting Andy.

Had the truck out yesterday, checked the battery several times with the multimeter both with and without load. All seems well even though the ScanGauge still bounces around.

Went to help a friend spin and place a storage trailer on his property, got the winch all hooked up and ... click click click ... no spool in or out under power. Free spooled out super easy. I suppose I will jumper the winch to the terminals to see if it's the motor or the solenoid after looking it up on the internet, but disappointed such a name brand piece failed after only a year. Plus, removing the bumper and winch are probably 2 of the worst tasks to do on my truck. It took 2 guys and an 8lb maul to get the bumper on. :bang:

Only real win for the weekend was getting the pass door stopper piece installed so the door no longer flies wide open.

Went to help a friend spin and place a storage trailer on his property, got the winch all hooked up and ... click click click ... no spool in or out under power. Free spooled out super easy. I suppose I will jumper the winch to the terminals to see if it's the motor or the solenoid after looking it up on the internet, but disappointed such a name brand piece failed after only a year. Plus, removing the bumper and winch are probably 2 of the worst tasks to do on my truck. It took 2 guys and an 8lb maul to get the bumper on. :bang:

Check your power connections. Had one do this once and the ground wire was off - hidden down behind the battery.

If you don't already have a ground wire, start there.

@caz ... I just installed the new battery the other day. I will double check the connections and I think I saw a video about how to hotwire the motor to the battery to test if it is the solenoid or the motor. The Warn repair facility for the east coast (Hoak's 4WD Center) is a mile from my house, but if you aren't driving a Jeep they look at you like you have 3 heads.

@caz ... but if you aren't driving a Jeep they look at you like you have 3 heads.

Funny side story.
The jeep place in mechanicsburg....I mean the 4wheel drive place in mechanicsburg quoted me 900 bucks to swap an lsd from a 411 rear to a 370 rear. The rears were going to show up in two 5 gallon buckets...and leave the same way. The rear losing the lsd wasnt going to be set back up. I was going to supply new side bearings. I laughed at him and asked for a toke as clearly it's good stuff.

Just did the 80 series power seat gears on two front seats....takes longer to read the instructions than it takes to actually do the job...I like those.

Last edited:
Funny side story.

From what I hear, you dodged a bullet because the next thing you'd be spending money on was new gears because they didn't set them up correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom