What are you working on? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@caz - This truck required the head gasket asap so it went first. I've knocked out just about every PM item in terms of running and driving now, although now I have jacked up the CDL and it still needs little things like door lock actuators and such.

Pretty sure the white rig is next. Already have the knuckle rebuild kit at the house and it needs a new steering pump badly and the stock suspension is beat and sagging.. Might just go ahead and do all of it at once while it's down, but this will be my son's truck and he needs to spend some time wrenching to earn it.

The green LX will be last and will likely be down for a few years so I can go through every part of the truck inside and out.

@BROKEROB1 - Fairly certain I've eliminated any chance of ever removing the drain plug again. I will eventually get another new radiator to help continue clearing out the BARS residue and I still want to drop the radiator 1" to fit the fan shroud again. For now I just want to get offroad with the truck and enjoy it.

I've been plugging away at this 1uz. I fixed the broken tab and got a new timing belt installed.

20190505_105718.jpg

20190505_105710.jpg

Some tech here. A 2uz tensioner bolts up but needs a little modification to fit the timing cover back on.

20190505_114144.jpg

Started working on this 1917 frick engine again.
These brackets are for attaching the actual engines(its a twin cylinder) to the boiler. They had lead plate pads under them to seal the studs that do the fastening. Those two staybolts were merry go rounded 102 years ago...they look like they were just finished this morning.

20190506_091426.jpg

20190506_091532.jpg

Messed with trying to get the Pin 7 Mod functioning again today ... no luck on that. It will be Toyota of York's problem now. I think they have at least 1 tech that knows these vehicles well, but I still may have to explain the mod to them first.

Was already tired of seeing the truck on the stock 28" tires so decided to swap the big boy stuff back on today. Looks sooooo much better now and the ride is much softer as well. I did get my feelings hurt a bit as it was the first time I've ever had to put on a 37" tire that needed to go direct on the studs, not ride the center hub and get lined up first. Needed my son to help get it done or I would still be outside crying right now.

Just need to put the trans armor back on yet and then all done ... except for the 20 other little things still on the list.

20190506_164956[1].jpg

I have a method for putting mine on. I get the holes lined up with the studs. Then I stand and lift by the rock ring and push it on with my knees. Mine weight about 140 each.

Messed with trying to get the Pin 7 Mod functioning again today ... no luck on that. It will be Toyota of York's problem now. I think they have at least 1 tech that knows these vehicles well, but I still may have to explain the mod to them first.

Was already tired of seeing the truck on the stock 28" tires so decided to swap the big boy stuff back on today. Looks sooooo much better now and the ride is much softer as well. I did get my feelings hurt a bit as it was the first time I've ever had to put on a 37" tire that needed to go direct on the studs, not ride the center hub and get lined up first. Needed my son to help get it done or I would still be outside crying right now.

Just need to put the trans armor back on yet and then all done ... except for the 20 other little things still on the list.

View attachment 1971127
Is the CDL the only reason to visit the dealership?
If you can tackle what you have ^^^, CDL should be 🍰!

Weren't you telling us about another derelict wire down there by where you alter the harness? Look there first...

Is the CDL the only reason to visit the dealership?
If you can tackle what you have ^^^, CDL should be 🍰!

Weren't you telling us about another derelict wire down there by where you alter the harness? Look there first...

Yup ... $152 later at the dealership and turns out the other wire that the PO cut was the issue. I hate electrical work anD I tried to run a jumper on it first, but couldn't get it to work. I just wanted it fixed asap so I could drive the truck and stop working on it for a min ... and I needed the CDL working asap for this

Last edited:
My exact thoughts!

Decided to do some spring cleaning and get the spare engine on the stand so I can start working on it. Shortly after mocking up it being mounted it wigged me out so much being front heavy I went an alternate route.

Hoist paying dividends again. Made sure I sent the wife a pic so she knows it's being used. She was less than enthused when the cost was discovered.
20190510_104208[1].jpg

Ended up kind of on the stand, but is nice and stable like this:
20190510_133915[1].jpg

Stuffed the LX in the shed for the summer and put it on the trickle charger. Brought in the summer rides. Man these cars are filthy:
20190510_133952[1].jpg

... and now it's beer time. This is my favorite :beer:
20190510_134026[1].jpg

Hitting up a local auction tonight to support my mother-in-law who is selling some really nice animal mounts from Africa my father-in-law had done, but passed away before they ever showed up stateside. Might grab up some rifles while I'm there too.

Finished up by putting the trans armor plate back on today. Time to get this truck in the dirt.

Too much non-Toyota stuff, but I have to say that it has been getting me fired up to work on the Toyota stuff as well. R&R'ing an engine is a whole lot easier when there are no coolant lines, limited electronics, and two people can lift it...

IMG_3503.JPG

Dumb hours are not uncommon.
Neither are 2am service calls.
We'll be doing the same thing we have been doing but instead of doing it for someone else, it will be for us.

I'm at the office working at 830 on a Sunday night. Hope you do it better than me!

Sounds like some of the odd hours I keep too.

Spent the morning getting soaked while picking up my auction purchase from Saturday night.
20190513_120825[1].jpg

20190513_121236[1].jpg

Now I need to start buying more guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom