What are you working on? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am, with him helping me lift the 4runner this weekend.

I couldn't leave him hanging, I've done so many of these from.my.time at Toyota that I know the engine by heart.

The cars fought us tooth and nail with everything else he has to do to it but the engine is gone well.
Good, I was a little grumpy yesterday morning!

Just to be clear, are you doing in chassis rebuild here?

You were able to pull the pistons with the block still in the car? On jack stands in the driveway and you plan to have it done this week?

Damn! Get after it! :wrench:

In the future, I have an engine crane 15min from Elkton and would happily lend it out if it makes life easier! I have never seen an engine rebuild done in the vehicle!

Good, I was a little grumpy yesterday morning!

Just to be clear, are you doing in chassis rebuild here?

You were able to pull the pistons with the block still in the car? On jack stands in the driveway and you plan to have it done this week?

Damn! Get after it! :wrench:

Did think anything of it! Lol

Yup in chassis semi rebuild, crank stays, new pistons, rings and rod bearings, cams look decent and no blue smoke so not going to worry about valve stem seals.

Able to do this all in the car fortunately, how we did them back at Toyota.

Woody has a quick jack which makes this easier however to add insult to injury with everything else that's gone wrong lol, one of the cylinders blew out so the lift is only halfway up.

In the future, I have an engine crane 15min from Elkton and would happily lend it out if it makes life easier! I have never seen an engine rebuild done in the vehicle!

Fortunately the engine can stay in the car. He has a hoist as well. We were hoping to just swap an engine over but like Toyota 3rd Members ar Harry's U Pull, 2.4l Toyota engines are s hot commodity and hard to find now.

If you are just doing rings and/or rod bearings its not uncommon to leave the enging in the car.

Yup yup, shortens the job time too

Interesting...I guess I've seen folks do main bearings with the engine in the car - never thought about pistons. On the 40 it's like...10 bolts and 3 wires to unhook the engine entirely, plus the headlights fold down so yanking an engine takes like...a couple hours - I can see how that wouldn't be the case on the Camry.

I have been collecting parts for about a year to take my fj40 Weber carb back to OEM. Gary @shmukster offered to help and I finally got around to taking him up on his offer last week. He was instrumental in helping get things done smoothly and having all of the little parts, pieces, knowledge and tricks to make quick work of the conversion! And for anyone looking for a carb rebuild, @FJ40Jim is the guru! We installed everything and my 40 fired up with the quick flick of the key like never before! It really honestly idles like a sewing machine! Anyways, just a public thank you to Gary, as he is a true asset to our club!!!

572FB605-81D2-46A2-A1FF-D57F1E4ADCAD.jpeg

Keeping a lifelong streak intact of not being able to doing anything without seeing it done first. I got the tool set in for depinning. Tried for an hour with almost every tool in the set ... nothing. Got frustrated and ending up just cracking the brittle plastic a piece at a time until the wires were free. Turns out the tabs were on the left sides, not top or bottom. Either way, it's done now.

20190423_140703[1].jpg

New tab:
20190423_140717[1].jpg

Just got the call from the machine shop ... head is done!! Equal parts excited and scared to death about reassembly.

I have been collecting parts for about a year to take my fj40 Weber carb back to OEM. Gary @shmukster offered to help and I finally got around to taking him up on his offer last week. He was instrumental in helping get things done smoothly and having all of the little parts, pieces, knowledge and tricks to make quick work of the conversion! And for anyone looking for a carb rebuild, @FJ40Jim is the guru! We installed everything and my 40 fired up with the quick flick of the key like never before! It really honestly idles like a sewing machine! Anyways, just a public thank you to Gary, as he is a true asset to our club!!!
Rob, you and Gary do good work, looks nice. :beer:

Enjoy some delicious free tech support:
Replace the air cleaner hex nuts with rubber gasketed Toyota wingnuts, 90175-06003.
Cap the vac fitting on air cleaner lid (circled in yellow). It's just letting dust & dirt right into top of the carb.
Replace the valve cover breather hose (circled in green) with Toyota 90910-05101. The molded heater hose currently installed is not oil proof and will turn to mush shortly.
Connect the choke breaker (red circle, hidden by MC) to a manifold vacuum fitting (red line).

Keep on Cruisin'

teaguecarb.jpeg

Thanks, Jim! It’s a beautiful day here in the northeast... I’m blowing out of my office early... and I know what I’m going to do today!

Rob, you and Gary do good work, looks nice. :beer:

Enjoy some delicious free tech support:
Replace the air cleaner hex nuts with rubber gasketed Toyota wingnuts, 90175-06003.
Cap the vac fitting on air cleaner lid (circled in yellow). It's just letting dust & dirt right into top of the carb.
Replace the valve cover breather hose (circled in green) with Toyota 90910-05101. The molded heater hose currently installed is not oil proof and will turn to mush shortly.
Connect the choke breaker (red circle, hidden by MC) to a manifold vacuum fitting (red line).

Keep on Cruisin'

View attachment 1960835

I just finish fixing my 3rd Gen 4Runner and found out I had a bad injector. The past couple weeks I have been fixing the 4Runner which included water pump, timing belt, pulleys, cleaning out the intake manifold , new gaskets and seals. I also powder coated a bunch of small parts that were rusting out. It looks like I might be able to make the green run with the group and it will be my first time I have driven the truck on a trail.

320A3ECD-6A40-4277-81A1-AB92A7B2B7D8.jpeg

264ECD10-90F8-44C1-ADD5-5DD287D11502.jpeg

I just finish fixing my 3rd Gen 4Runner and found out I had a bad injector. The past couple weeks I have been fixing the 4Runner which included water pump, timing belt, pulleys, cleaning out the intake manifold , new gaskets and seals. I also powder coated a bunch of small parts that were rusting out. It looks like I might be able to make the green run with the group and it will be my first time I have driven the truck on a trail.

View attachment 1963180

View attachment 1963181
Looks great, nice work!
Looking forward to seeing it!

View attachment 1963180

View attachment 1963181

So clean and shiny... I miss those days lol!!

Looks awesome dude!!!

In an effort to get the Silver 4runner ready for the May 4th run I started to disassemble Johnny 5... I mean the Brown 4Runner.

View media item 83186View media item 83187View media item 83184
And my new front coilover reservoir shocks came in the week for the front lift

View media item 83185
Slowly getting some progress done, hope to at least have the rear lift on the silver truck tomorrow.

Sad to see the end of the brown truck, but still be glad to be back on the trails again

In an effort to get the Silver 4runner ready for the May 4th run I started to disassemble Johnny 5... I mean the Brown 4Runner.

View media item 83186View media item 83187View media item 83184
And my new front coilover reservoir shocks came in the week for the front lift

View media item 83185
Slowly getting some progress done, hope to at least have the rear lift on the silver truck tomorrow.

Sad to see the end of the brown truck, but still be glad to be back on the trails again
This is the brown truck that's too far gone to wheel?
Those third gens sure have weathered well, I still love the way they look!

This is the brown truck that's too far gone to wheel?
Those third gens sure have weathered well, I still love the way they look!

This is the brown truck too far gone yup, have to lift the door to close it ....

I agree timeless design, always put a smile on my face when I see it and get to drive one everyday, its comfortable and fits me perfectly.

I've been daily driving the silver 4runner because honestly, the matrix is a little gutless and I spend more gas in it then I do in the 4runner trying to get it down the highway lol, I might be in the market for another 2000 3rd gen limited to daily drive!

BARS stop leak is the devil ...

20190425_145402[1].jpg
20190425_145532[1].jpg
20190425_145537[1].jpg
20190426_102716[1].jpg

How this truck doesn't have chronic overheating issues I have no idea.

Cleaned things up as best I could, but it's everywhere so there is only so much I can do.
20190426_105540[1].jpg

20190426_105556[1].jpg

I cleaned up the inside of the cover as well, but forgot to take a pic before reinstalling it.

Made a big step forward as well ... the head is on an head bolts torqued properly. Started on the intake cam install, but kept doing things wrong so called it a day.
20190427_172919[1].jpg

Found another connector that broke off during removal that I hadn't noticed. Water temp sensor I believe. The wire just fell right out of it. At least it's in the front and easy to reach.
20190428_091719[1].jpg

Had my first out of order assembly as well. Had the fuel rail and injectors mounted while the head was on the bench. Getting the harness through proved sketchy, so I had to remove it while it was in the air on the hoist. Very much not looking forward to getting the fuel lines hooked back up on the filter and reassembling the upper intake. After that its all gravy ***he said with much false bravado***

Somthing so small can turn into so much work. A broken tab can turn into removing the oil pump, which requires removing part of a oil pan. Now this stud is in the way, double Nutting it fails and damages the stud. Now I am removing the entire oil pan to fix a tab and stud.

20190428_094427.jpg

20190428_094447.jpg

20190428_094527.jpg

20190428_110125.jpg

^^^ That is really clean!!

Every time I see bearings and rods I get flashbacks to my time spent in the tuner world having engines built and re-built. :wtf:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom