What are you working on? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

had to replace the muffler on the 94 and went with bosal for the muffler and tail pipe.
apparently magnaflow isn't doing 80 series mufflers anymore??
i didn't have a warm fuzzy feeling going in after reading through the 80s section....turns out it was unfounded. the fit of the piping was just fine and the hanger mounts weren't off enough to mention.

had to replace the muffler on the 94 and went with bosal for the muffler and tail pipe.
apparently magnaflow isn't doing 80 series mufflers anymore??
i didn't have a warm fuzzy feeling going in after reading through the 80s section....turns out it was unfounded. the fit of the piping was just fine and the hanger mounts weren't off enough to mention.

Good to know! I'm about to pull the trigger on a Bosal muffler for the Taco.

Secondly, insurance woes... The 09 BMW, 328I E92, was victim of a hit and run back in December. After lots of digging and persistence we were able to track down the person that did it. It involved police reports, video footage, credit card receipts, witness accounts but we got her! Finally call her insurance to open the claim and they say there is an active investigation for that person as they have filed a hit and run claim as well!! Denied responsibility for almost 3 weeks until we provided all evidence. She finally admitted guilt on Monday. Took it to have estimate done and have found out that the repair estimate exceeds 8K and they are going to probably total it.

Question is, How would you guys proceed? It was a great little coupe, fun to drive, great gas mileage and hasn't caused me any grief (knock knock, it is a BMW) Just don't want to get taken by the other insurance agency at this point and be sure to get what we are entitled. Pretty miffed to say the least being that she filed a false claim, denied being at the restaurant and has held us up for more than 5 weeks.

Secondly, insurance woes... The 09 BMW, 328I E92, was victim of a hit and run back in December. After lots of digging and persistence we were able to track down the person that did it. It involved police reports, video footage, credit card receipts, witness accounts but we got her! Finally call her insurance to open the claim and they say there is an active investigation for that person as they have filed a hit and run claim as well!! Denied responsibility for almost 3 weeks until we provided all evidence. She finally admitted guilt on Monday. Took it to have estimate done and have found out that the repair estimate exceeds 8K and they are going to probably total it.

Question is, How would you guys proceed? It was a great little coupe, fun to drive, great gas mileage and hasn't caused me any grief (knock knock, it is a BMW) Just don't want to get taken by the other insurance agency at this point and be sure to get what we are entitled. Pretty miffed to say the least being that she filed a false claim, denied being at the restaurant and has held us up for more than 5 weeks.
Sux, I h8 dealing with insurance!
If you love the car, buy it back from the insurance company and fix it. (I wouldn't, it's a BMW) :flipoff2:

Is it drivable?

Sux, I h8 dealing with insurance!
If you love the car, buy it back from the insurance company and fix it. (I wouldn't, it's a BMW) :flipoff2:

Is it drivable?

Won't fix it either. I'm the type of guy that once a car like that sustains that much damage, I'm done with it. It'd be different if it was a trail rig. It is driveable. A HEEP pulled out beside us, apparently didn't see, turned too early and basically peeled the front end off it. Have everything held together with Gorilla tape right now! Pretty classy...
At this point I just want to make sure we get a fair price if they decide to total it.

At this point I just want to make sure we get a fair price if they decide to total it.

You do not have to accept the insurance company’s offer, especially if you can prove it being worth more. Look up kelly blue book value, the nada value, and look up comparable cars online and show what it would cost to replace. If the driver has a different insurance company vs what you have, get your insurance company involved. Worst case, threaten litigation. It was after all a hit and run.

Insurance company’s obviously hate paying money out, so thier move is to toss a low ball offer out and hope you’ll roll over and take it. The idea of insurance is that you can go out and replace the car if it’s totaled, so proving cost to replace vs value of car is a big enough gap should get you more money.

Last edited:
Thanks @dci blair, working on that part now. Have been researching PA law and according to what I can find, they are required to offer ACV (which is debatable) + sales tax + registration fees. Not necessarily replacement coverage but actual fair market value. My insurance has been acting on our behalf and have been involved since the beginning. Told me to call them once we get hard numbers and they’d review them for me.
Silver lining is that I found another FJC to replace this with... 07 6SPD, 1 owner at a good price, all stock.

I heat my house, gagrage and hot water with an outdoor gasifier furnace. Whenever friends take down trees or know someoen with wood available they give me a call. My friend took down a huge ash tree at one of his river properties. Time to get to work ...

Muddy 45-50* hillside. It's never simple flat ground.
20190123_154621[1].jpg

The wood is always bigger than it looks in pics. Most of the stuff on the hill was 10-15" diameter. Big wood was kept up top ... teenager for scale, he's 5'10". The main stump is still standind and is almost 4' in diameter.
20190123_153330[1].jpg

Pretty sure this gets me on some Jeep forum's Let's Laugh thread. Spent almost an hour just chipping and removing ice and leaves that were 3" thinck in the bed.
20190123_165923[1].jpg

Sawing on the muddy hill was sketchy at best, so we chokered the logs and pulled them down to cut them up. Worked like a charm. Having my friend that is 6'4" and 260lbs help didn't hurt either.
20190127_104157[1].jpg

About halfway done here. We got almost everything down to the bottom and maybe 70% of it cut to size. No after pic, was just too tired.
20190127_104210[1].jpg

I heat my house, gagrage and hot water with an outdoor gasifier furnace. Whenever friends take down trees or know someoen with wood available they give me a call. My friend took down a huge ash tree at one of his river properties. Time to get to work ...

Muddy 45-50* hillside. It's never simple flat ground.
View attachment 1890195

The wood is always bigger than it looks in pics. Most of the stuff on the hill was 10-15" diameter. Big wood was kept up top ... teenager for scale, he's 5'10". The main stump is still standind and is almost 4' in diameter.
View attachment 1890196

Pretty sure this gets me on some Jeep forum's Let's Laugh thread. Spent almost an hour just chipping and removing ice and leaves that were 3" thinck in the bed.
View attachment 1890197

Sawing on the muddy hill was sketchy at best, so we chokered the logs and pulled them down to cut them up. Worked like a charm. Having my friend that is 6'4" and 260lbs help didn't hurt either.
View attachment 1890198

About halfway done here. We got almost everything down to the bottom and maybe 70% of it cut to size. No after pic, was just too tired.
View attachment 1890199
Starting to look like my pile!

I could look it up, but tell us about your gasifire furnace. Do you run it year round for hot water?

Starting to look like my pile!

I could look it up, but tell us about your gasifire furnace. Do you run it year round for hot water?

Triple 6 Outdoor - They usually have a booth at the outdoor show coming up

I purchased a Central Boiler E-Classic 2400 IR maybe 4-5 years ago. Where I live there is no residential gas service (or water or sewer) and liquid propane spiked to almost $5/gal. Knowing I'm likely never moving I decided to take a step toward being able to control my fuel cost exposure long term. The furnace has been great so far and my wife and I very much prefer it over the propane system. It is outside the house and burns wood/wood gasses to heat 340 gallons of water that is pumped into my house and then back out to the furnace in a loop.

I burn ~6-8 cords of wood per year, all dead-fall from my property or trouble trees that needed to be removed, that way it's carbon neutral. The unit has 3 pumps, but I only run one that loops into the house to a hot water heat exchange plate first that fills the regular holding tank first and if the tank is exhausted it provides unlimited hot water direct from the exchange plate. Then it pipes over to a coil that sits on top of my AC coil on a forced air ducting system that most homes with central air have. The heat is provided by just running the fan on the HVAC unit. The piping exits back out through a large passive radiator in my garage that keeps the garage around 50-55*F when it's ~30*F outside. I really need to insulate the doors to get better heat retention, right now they are just bare metal. The piping inside the house also gives off radiant heat, so the floors are warm in spots and it heats the basement where there are no vents.

The boiler needs to be loaded twice per day when it's in the 30s, once per day if in the 40s or up. The quality (dryness) and type of wood will vary burn time as well. The unit takes maintenance that includes cleaning the ash pile every week or two and making sure the air ports remain clear with a poker as well as making sure creosote doesn't build up (if it's burning properly creosote isn't an issue). The furnace turns itself on and off or allows the fire to burn or be smoldered as needed to keep the water within a max/min temp range based on how much air it allows into the burn chamber.

The reason I went with this unit was because it has a WiFi connect that allows me to monitor all the info ... burn time, water temp, burn chamber temp, water level, outside temp and door status ... on my phone or any computer. It's basically a scan gauge for the furnace. I use it to tell me when I need to add more wood and make sure there are no issues. Here is an interactive demo of the program the way I use it: FireStar | Log On | Central Boiler, Inc.

The ultimate goal is to use the 2nd pump to radiant heat a large garage and the 3rd pump to radiant heat our driveway so we don't have to shovel snow when we are old. The wood prep takes a bunch of work, but I love doing it and it keeps me connected to the property since I'm always paying attention to what trees have died or fallen in storms.

Currently I only run the furnace 5-6 months or until the wood from the previous year runs out. The entire system is backed up with the propane system that turns on automatically if the house dips more than 2*F below the temp set on the thermostat.

@Pacer ... do you heat with wood as well? Would love to hear about your setup if so.

Engine back in frame. Still have to make brackets for transmission cross member.
The front suspension went up 3/4 after moving engine back.
80B36870-69EF-4B55-92AF-7A23E9FD55C4.jpeg
265CC1CF-5B45-45B8-BD25-82D3018E58E0.jpeg

@plfj40 how do you like the Vulcan welder? I’ve been looking at them.

Triple 6 Outdoor - They usually have a booth at the outdoor show coming up

I purchased a Central Boiler E-Classic 2400 IR maybe 4-5 years ago. Where I live there is no residential gas service (or water or sewer) and liquid propane spiked to almost $5/gal. Knowing I'm likely never moving I decided to take a step toward being able to control my fuel cost exposure long term. The furnace has been great so far and my wife and I very much prefer it over the propane system. It is outside the house and burns wood/wood gasses to heat 340 gallons of water that is pumped into my house and then back out to the furnace in a loop.

I burn ~6-8 cords of wood per year, all dead-fall from my property or trouble trees that needed to be removed, that way it's carbon neutral. The unit has 3 pumps, but I only run one that loops into the house to a hot water heat exchange plate first that fills the regular holding tank first and if the tank is exhausted it provides unlimited hot water direct from the exchange plate. Then it pipes over to a coil that sits on top of my AC coil on a forced air ducting system that most homes with central air have. The heat is provided by just running the fan on the HVAC unit. The piping exits back out through a large passive radiator in my garage that keeps the garage around 50-55*F when it's ~30*F outside. I really need to insulate the doors to get better heat retention, right now they are just bare metal. The piping inside the house also gives off radiant heat, so the floors are warm in spots and it heats the basement where there are no vents.

The boiler needs to be loaded twice per day when it's in the 30s, once per day if in the 40s or up. The quality (dryness) and type of wood will vary burn time as well. The unit takes maintenance that includes cleaning the ash pile every week or two and making sure the air ports remain clear with a poker as well as making sure creosote doesn't build up (if it's burning properly creosote isn't an issue). The furnace turns itself on and off or allows the fire to burn or be smoldered as needed to keep the water within a max/min temp range based on how much air it allows into the burn chamber.

The reason I went with this unit was because it has a WiFi connect that allows me to monitor all the info ... burn time, water temp, burn chamber temp, water level, outside temp and door status ... on my phone or any computer. It's basically a scan gauge for the furnace. I use it to tell me when I need to add more wood and make sure there are no issues. Here is an interactive demo of the program the way I use it: FireStar | Log On | Central Boiler, Inc.

The ultimate goal is to use the 2nd pump to radiant heat a large garage and the 3rd pump to radiant heat our driveway so we don't have to shovel snow when we are old. The wood prep takes a bunch of work, but I love doing it and it keeps me connected to the property since I'm always paying attention to what trees have died or fallen in storms.

Currently I only run the furnace 5-6 months or until the wood from the previous year runs out. The entire system is backed up with the propane system that turns on automatically if the house dips more than 2*F below the temp set on the thermostat.

@Pacer ... do you heat with wood as well? Would love to hear about your setup if so.
Thanks for the description, sounds awesome!
We have four fire places, but only use two of them regularly.
I've lost two 100+ year old White Oaks in the last few years and have processed most of them myself.
Only burned a cord or so this winter.
Lots of wood around.

@plfj40 how do you like the Vulcan welder? I’ve been looking at them.
I used yesterday for 1st time and i like it. Lots of options on it. Build Quality feels good for harbour freight. Welds great. I think its worth it for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom