What are the differences between 2UZ-fe VVti engines, & where can I get one?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^^^okay, I believe you, TMML Alabama supplied engines for the Tundra and Sequoia. But that plant didn't open until 2003. Where did the 2000-2002 Tundras get their engine?

Some really good info guy's thank you. I've been reading through numerous threads where some of you have written on the issues before.

Most of the discussions centered around the connecting rod. Some of the "handles" I recognized in these threads that I've come to respect as they believe their post as true statements, not just talk to make a point or inflated ego making a stand (just to name a few, in no particular order) @Trunk Monkey @spressomon @OregonLC @Julian Stead @agaisin @NMuzj100 @dogdaysindurham @agaisin @sean2202 @crimsonaudio @abuck99

Is Japanese built better than those in USA, well @Bomar, made a very good point: It was the USA made tundra that hit 1 million miles (documented). So this suggest even if USA made, it is still of the highest quality.

All evidence points to the series 100 2UZ-fe having forged connecting rod's. Evidence also point to all 2UZ-fe have the same designed connect rod. The difference according to my "parts guy", who has never given me a wrong part or info in 14 years; "part number for connecting rods are the same in all models I asked about (07LC, 084Run & 05Tundra). One deference was at one point Tundra were made in North America. They now come from Japan. This would have to be same design or part number today would be different. If they mixed forged with cast it would be of a different weight, wouldn't it. This would change balance throwing off crank (not good). So I'm in the camp all connecting rod are forged, just some were at one time North American manufactured.

Here it what he (my parts guy) said in last email of our discussion (note: He did look over the valve girding kits and what parts within. He doesn't see different within them, they appear the same parts but numbers are different for kit):

"The 4Runner and Tundra head gaskets are the same part number as the 07 Land Cruiser. The connecting rods have the same part number as well. All three show # 13201-50032 for rods, and Head Gaskets = 11115-50080 & 11116-50070.

All three vehicles show a different Valve Grind kit, not sure what is different.

There are no casting specs available to me, but I show the Tundra had a North American Production Rod originally that is a different part number-BUT that is no longer available and automatically updates to the Japanese Rod # which came standard in the L/C and 4Runner. "

I've also been speaking with a machine shop in Denver (ALL Pro). The owner Steve really knows his stuff and has given me some good insight into what I should expect with these 2UZ-fe VVti when rebuilding. His thoughts on the different part numbers of valve grinding kits is some external part like a bracket, that all internals will be the same.

It seems all 2UZ-fe VVti long blocks are designed the same and all parts within are interchangeable.

Last edited:
I found this in History of the 00 Tundra & 01 Sequoia 2UZ-fe:

"Connecting Rod
The sintered and forged connecting rod is very rigid and has little weight fluctuation.
A weight-adjusting boss is provided at the big end to reduce fluctuation of weight and balance the engine
assembly.
The connecting rod cap is held by plastic region tightening bolts.
The connecting rods for the right and left banks are placed in opposite directions with the outer marks facing
the crankshaft.
The connecting rod bearing is made of aluminum alloy"

Last edited:
I found this in History of the 00 Tundra & 01 Sequoia 2UZ-fe:

Connecting Rod
The sintered and forged connecting rod is very rigid and has little weight fluctuation.
A weight-adjusting boss is provided at the big end to reduce fluctuation of weight and balance the engine
assembly.
The connecting rod cap is held by plastic region tightening bolts.
The connecting rods for the right and left banks are placed in opposite directions with the outer marks facing
the crankshaft.
The connecting rod bearing is made of aluminum alloy

As mentioned, the Alabama Engine Plant didn't open until 2003 which produced V8 engines, there are 2 other plants in USA producing engines but I don't think they have ever made the V8. So at a guess they would probably have
got there engines shipped from Japan until 2003.

My source is someone that works for Toyota corp. in the technical training dept. So it's probably wrong.
Do I understand you correctly; your friend is saying ONLY series 100 have forged connecting rods?

Perhaps you could ask him if he has any written doc on the 100 series, that he can share.

I was under the impression "The History" (Don't know if real name of doc/book) was from Toyota tech training manuals, but I don't really know. I'm not sure of name of the doc, they're just saved on my PC with that.

@Julian Stead the "History" doc's I've on hand show 00-06 1UZ through 3UZ.
I can say they're all written the same, hundreds of pages and are very well written. I've several of them with names like: 2us-fe, 2uz, 2UZ-FE 1uzto3uz (LS). They are very detailed. They give information not in FSM, or anywhere I've seen. Basically I have 00-06 LS, Tundra & Sequoia. I do not or nor have I seen; A title, index pages or page 1. They start at higher numbers and don't appear to have end of doc. They all say forged connecting rods. I wish I had this level of detail specifically on the 100 series. I can't find 100 series, 4runner or GX in my library or anywhere.

To change from Japanese assembled to North American then back to Japanese, switch back and forth on type of connecting rod would be costly and waste fully.

Based on some of the verbiage and how written, I'd guess these doc's are for Toyota training or possible engineers reference material used in North America.

They show a very high level of detail, and with detail on the little changes from year to year.
Example of of change from 04 to 05 Tundra 2UZ-fe VVti
001.JPG

It only place I've seen this level of detail
003.JPG

004.JPG

All of them in/for all years like this from Tundra VVTi section, even the older LS 1UZ state forged:
005.JPG

End of one of the Tundra doc's makes note "Canada models only"
006.JPG

There is also a video some Toyota dealership made & posted of adding the TRD breather to a Tundra stating it will not void warrantee.

These documents are weak evidence as I don't know the source. But by the way written, taken with my parts guy info that part number is now the same between 100 series, 4 runner & Tundra connecting rods. Also taken with cost effectiveness of making one part to fit all......Makes a compelling case all have forged connecting rods.

Last edited:
I have been back on google and have found out some more, there is no mention that there are different materials used for any UZ engine, in fact the 2UZ and 3UZ use the exact same con rod, the 1UZ is different and it is stronger. The reasoning behind the weaker con rods was they increased the bore size and not lengthened the stroke to achieve the extra volume. The thinking is that Toyota lightened the Con Rods because they fitted heavier larger pistons and to help counteract this the lighter con rods allowed the engine to rev higher to make up for the larger bore, this is one of the reasons that TRD stopped making the supercharger kits. So I agree that they are all sintered and forged, but all are weaker than the 1UZ ones.

I have been back on google and have found out some more, there is no mention that there are different materials used for any UZ engine, in fact the 2UZ and 3UZ use the exact same con rod, the 1UZ is different and it is stronger. The reasoning behind the weaker con rods was they increased the bore size and not lengthened the stroke to achieve the extra volume. The thinking is that Toyota lightened the Con Rods because they fitted heavier larger pistons and to help counteract this the lighter con rods allowed the engine to rev higher to make up for the larger bore, this is one of the reasons that TRD stopped making the supercharger kits. So I agree that they are all sintered and forged, but all are weaker than the 1UZ ones.
I agree!

I'm now more concerned with the heads. The valve grinding kits having different parts numbers is probably just some parts external to the head(s) like exhaust gasket or some bracket IDK. I would like to know for sure, before I make my final decision direction I'm going to take.

I've looked and looked and see no difference in the rod, between any 2UZ-fe. It only makes economic senses rods, block, pistons, heads, valves, heads, cams, etc. come from same foundry's. It cost effective from, which Toyota is one of the most cost effect mfg in the world.

Looking at pictures from the 1 million mile engine the connecting rods look just like a 4 Runner V2UZ-fe VVT-i engine I've just did a tear down of, so does block.
Million Mile Tundra: The Tear Down The auther said machined, but new engine aren't machine (except poissible line bore, and honing) engines are assemblied. So I called Alabama to VET the info. But they just say "call your local Dealer".
One million mile Tear Down
million-mile-2007-toyota-tundra-tear-down-internals.jpg
018-million-mile-2007-toyota-tundra-tear-down.jpg
million-mile-2007-toyota-tundra-tear-down-pistons-comparison.jpg

Other picture of rod Lexus & Toyota
IMG_0070.JPG

My 08 4Runner VVT
038.JPG

Is the VVT-i and interference engine...YES at least under the right condition:

I just spoke with one of the most knowledgeable Toyota Service manager I've ever come across. He does much the same as I buying and restore 100 series (he does 80's also). He's was a tech for many years before become a service manager. He works at one of the top rated Toyota Service center (Dealership) in the country (he's words). He said the 2UZ-fe VVT-i is an interference engine. It happen at their shop when a Tech use the "T" marks (wrong mark) while doing a timing belt job. After assemble while reving to burp, the engine blew. Piston tops damaged and valves bent. They bought the customer a new engine.

Does USA or Japan made make a difference:
We talked at some length the about the reliability of 2UZ-fe. He said he has clients with 300K mile and up on the 2UZ. One has 600K plus and is a rock hunders that beats up his rig overloading all the time. That this 600K miles rig is an Tundra with the 2UZ.

I asked my burning issue of does Toyota cast the 2UZ block, rods, etc in the USA or only assemble here. He said the foundry is in Japan. Assemble is done at various plants all over the worlds.

I told him, I've been trying to find out where parts like rod come from. He pointed to the fact it was big (difficult) issue (difficulty) getting parts after the Tsunami & nuclear accident in Japan.

I said, I hear the Tundra has piston slap so I should avoid USA assembled. He said they all 2UZ do when cold. Which I know personally from my 01LC, when I bought 14 years ago. I took to Toyota Dealer Shop to inspect, they said normal. I drove it and drove it for years until I no longer notice piston slap, but it was still there. I've since diven many 2UZ and only heard one that I felt was excessively loud, it was a 98 100 series w/160K.

Where there is a lot of difference between VVT and non VVT, there is not between the model engines. If USA assemble or Japan should only make a difference as to was assembler following procedure or have a good day or bad day.

Machining at and assembly plant, they "may" line bore the block & heads. But that may just from foundry as well.

Anyone have and light to shed on USA vs Japan?
More and more it looking like no dreal difference.

Conclusion took me back to what @Ali FJ80 first said to me "stick with the Japanese made engine for my replacement selection"

I've post in many Tundra, Sequoia & Land Cruiser forums and threads asking about rods & piston slap (after warm up). I've not found evidence or firsthand knowledge of these things in any forums or news articles.

But, 2 out of 3 Mechanics are seeing more issues with USA made 2UZ-fe.

Turning to shops for answers, asking mechanics what they're seeing.

1) One, a heavy duty Toyota Dealer mechanic of 20 years said: "odds of piston slap are the same Japanese or US made" He doesn't think there's a difference.

2) One, at a one man shop that work on various makes or models, but specializes in Toyota said avoid the US made they develop piston slap.

3) One at a one man shop that works only on Toyota said; "Seeing broken rods and hears piston slap in USA made, and not in Land Cruisers".

I did not find out where the respective components (block, crank, rods, pistons, heads, cams, etc.) are forged. But did see written in article about million mile tundra and video evidence they're machined at plant of assemble

I'd like to find out why this is the case; metals, coatings, tolerance, oils, workmanship or what?
Why! Concern without more info, can new OEM parts from the Dealer to be trusted.

In for a little USA v JAP:

Toyota has always been top of the line in automotive quality, but why is this?

I work in the construction industry and have done several studies on lean construction, which is basically the concept of eliminating all waste from a project to provide a faster schedule and lower cost for the owner. Time, extra material, anything that adds unnecessary cost is considered waste. While this seems like a no-brainer, most companies are currently driven more by schedule, believing a shorter schedule always saves money. It does not.

So why is this relevent?

The concept of lean practices was first introduced by the Toyota Production System. Better quality and accuracy = less failures and saved dollars. Now, every automotive manufacturer uses some form of lean manufacturing, which is apparent as we are seeing improved reliability across the board.

Toyota takes this stuff very seriously, they are the leader in affordable quality in the auto industry for a reason. Because of their reputation and how they manage their manufacturing, I will always trust the car regardless of the plant it came out of. I’ve had friends and family members all take different variations of the 4.7 to high mileage without a hiccup.

As for the forged rods debate, I’m a strong believer that all 2UZ rods are the same.

Paul,

Where did you find printed info that 2UZFE was manufactured in the Alabama plant?

Looking at the wiki history it doesnt show evidence of any 2uzfe being assembled, produced there. Could be bad info-as sometimes gigo on wiki.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Alabama - Wikipedia

Also here is a list of worldwide mfg plants and products.
List of Toyota manufacturing facilities - Wikipedia
From a link in post #50 Million Mile Tundra: The Tear Down

It was the night shift on March 28, 2007, at Toyota’s Huntsville, Alabama, engine plant when the Beast’s 4.7L V-8 began life as a non-descript piece of cast iron. Machined on site and then transported on a line around the facility, the engine was quality-checked several times before making its way onto a shipping crate bound for Toyota’s San Antonio, Texas, assembly plant. The engine was one of several thousand the facility would build that year.

When the plant opened in 2003, it only built the 4.7L 2UZ-FE engine and was the only facility outside of Japan to build a V-8. Being a new plant with a small group of employees helped create a family atmosphere with quality being the main focus as they had a lot to prove to the bosses Japan."

In that Million Mile 2UZ-fe VVT-i tear down article it was stated: "non-descript piece of cast iron" "machined". Was it good journalize with proper terms that an engineer would use or sloppy? It was very clear this 2UZ-fe VVt was built there.

But were part forged their?

I also watched one video of a different USA plant TMMK making 4 & 6 cylinder engines. This has lead me to believe the main components (block, crank, rods, pistons, heads, cams, valves, etc) where forged somewhere else at the Alabama plant as wel. It' clear around minute 9:50 plus that "Power trains raw material include engines blocks and heads that come from our suppliers"

If components are forged in the USA, seem that would be less cost effective than forged at a central location for all plants building like kind engines. But I don't know this. EPA laws, USA red tape, labor laws and wages would have made difficult/costly to forge in USA. Some chemicals like the coating on piston could possible be different if fishied in USA.

All picture in this thread and history of Tundra 2UZ-fe vvti, clearly show all rods are forged, parts numbers also indicate this.

If I knew for sure the oversized piston and rings Toyota has available were indeed forged and machine at same location as our 2UZ-fe VVti of the 100 series. Well I be inclined to use them, and rebuild one of my 2UZ-fe I've sitting around. But I'd still be face with finding a local machine shop that would give me the same or better toarence as our engine from the factory.

Also cost to consider of bottom up rebuild w/oversized piston & rings, ~$3,500. New OEM long block to my door ~$4,300 plus, mat take up to ~$5k finished and installed.

All considered, I'm not going to rebuild one of my engine short blocks at this time. I may just rebuild heads. But leaning toward finding a good used engine for now. I'll keep my search narrow, looking at only 100 series, 4Runners & GX470.

I'm not saying Tundra or Sequoia 2UZ-fe are bad engine. But where there's smoke there's is fire, I'm find some smoke. With $ & labor involved it not worth the risk.

From a link in post #50 Million Mile Tundra: The Tear Down

It was the night shift on March 28, 2007, at Toyota’s Huntsville, Alabama, engine plant when the Beast’s 4.7L V-8 began life as a non-descript piece of cast iron. Machined on site and then transported on a line around the facility, the engine was quality-checked several times before making its way onto a shipping crate bound for Toyota’s San Antonio, Texas, assembly plant. The engine was one of several thousand the facility would build that year.

When the plant opened in 2003, it only built the 4.7L 2UZ-FE engine and was the only facility outside of Japan to build a V-8. Being a new plant with a small group of employees helped create a family atmosphere with quality being the main focus as they had a lot to prove to the bosses Japan."

Guess that Wiki page on the Alabama plant I linked has some junk info.

My google fu helped find a press release on the Toyota Global website regarding the first V8 to roll off the assy line in Alabama being 2003. So there you have it. It states the 4.7 V8 is for the Tundra.

Toyota's Alabama Engine Plant Rolls Out Its 1st V8 | TOYOTA Global Newsroom

Wiki very helpful, but not 100%.

Be great Kung fu;) If you find where the components are forged.

This is also posted in OP at bottom under edited 2/17/18. Which other than links was copied from the Tundra section.

Thanks @krice118 I do recall that thread now, it was very inconclusive. Accidental Tundra Motor Upgrade 2UZFE engine

He didn't even state which year the Tundra 4.7 was from. Just said 01-04, which could be Japanese or USA made (03+ USA made). His claim it has super power, well the long block and intake are the same in all 4.7L. What I did find interesting, is he bent a rod by overboosting a 100 series w/SC. All 4.7L rod are forged. That said; I've heard of bad rod on Tundras, but never on 100 series that are stock.

@FJ73Texas labor force may well be the case, I can't say! Toyota does say; Quality control, training and management style is the same world wide.

What I can say, or rather wish I had the answers for:
  • We don't know if metals are the same. By this I mean, was the same crank, rods, block or piston for example provided from same or different source in USA vs Japanese made engines?
  • Final machining of these various parts was likely done at their respective assembly plants. Could the talorances be better at one more than the other plant. If so, wouldn't equipment difference more so than labor force the issue?
  • There is a coating on the piston shelve (see above). Was there any different of coating.
  • Any difference in Oils use in assembly. Somewhere I saw; Toyota use same for assembly that they put in the crankcase for shipping.
So I can't rule the above out as we/I just don't know!

"Thereafter" oil in the real world use, how engine maintained and frequency & quality of oil & filters (Oil & Air) certainly have effects. But if we assume we've about equal good & poor maintainers of each, than that is really beyond the scope of is this as a Toyota manufacturing issue.

Indication are there was a lot more Tundras & Sequoia 4.7L than the 100 series in the USA. Could numbers be the reason USA made 4.7L had/have a bad rap. Well' I asked each mechanic if they saw/worked on more USA or Japanese made. They each said about equal, which surprises me, beings it seems we've more of one than the other here in the USA.

I ask the mechanics:

Was there any years which they saw more issues than others. One did not indicate years. But was very clear he not only experiencing in the shop, but heard complaints about piston slap while on Tour with Toyota, from owners of USA made 4.7L.

Another said the 03-early07, thereafter it stop. It seemed with the intro of the 5.7, they made a change to the 4.7L. Again one must ask; was this perception (based on numbers) as more 5.7 would surely have been bought/sold IMHO by first adopters and those desire for latest great and more power. Or did Toyota change something.

Issue obviously does not affect all USA made or I would have gotten overwhelming response in the many forums I posted these question in. But I'm now of the opinion it is a manufacturing issue, of at least some of the USA made 4.7L.

I've enough concern I'll not buy a USA made pre 07 without hearing it run, for use in a 100 series. The risk; I may waste money and time needed to pull back out is just to high!

Some of the thread I posted these question:
Japanese 4.7L engine better than USA made?
Piston Slap, who's noticed some?
Japanese 4.7L engine better than USA made?
Are 2UZ-fe in Tundra/Sequoia developing piston slap?
Japanese 4.7L engine better than USA made? - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
Piston slap - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
Japanese 4.7L engine better than USA made? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

Just yet one more artical on Toyota Motor Manufacturing Alabama | Encyclopedia of Alabama :"Located in Huntsville, Madison County, Toyota Motor Manufacturing Alabama, Inc. (TMMAL) is an engine assembly plant operated by Toyota Motor Corporation. TMMAL currently assembles four-, six-, and eight-cylinder engines for a variety of North American Toyota models. The 1.1-million-square-foot facility has a total annual production capacity of around 750,000 engines and employs approximately 1,200 workers. The plant's approval was announced in February 2001, with the facility producing its first engine in April 2003."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom