Piston Slap, who's noticed some? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2001LC

SILVER Star
Threads
Please post your thoughts on piston slap you've experienced or not in Tundra/Sequoia?
Do you have or not?
Has it gotten worse?
Miles / year(s)?

Are you or are you not hearing slap or knock??
:worms:

In 2004 when I purchased my first 2UZ-fe in a 2001LC. I noticed a piston slap, most noticeable on cold startups.

Concerned, and with only 3K miles left on warranty, I had it inspected by Toyota Dealer. I met with the mechanic at the Dealer who replaced one of my exhaust manifolds, and did the inspection. He said the slap was normal. ~14 years later and at 170K miles and it's never got any worse, really didn't notice anymore. A thread was on this issue in the 100 section years ago: Knock, knock, who's there? Piston slap, Thats who.

I did drive a 98 LC w/150K miles recently. It had a very pronounced slap or knock, even after warm-up. It ran fine but this was definitely more than I'd ever heard on a 100 series before, and I've driven dozens of them. But still it ran fine, owner had zero issues and no oil use between changes.

That said: A Well respected mechanic in Boulder CO., often recommended in mud. Stated to me while I spoke to him about hunting for a used engine; "stay away from Tundra & Sequoia 2UZ, they're developing piston slap"

It's long be said 2UZ coming from Japan are better than those from USA. Number one thing pointed to is rods, saying only ones from Japan have forged connecting Rods. From my research; that simply isn't true. All 2UZ have forged rods. Japanese 4.7L engine better than USA made?

I'd now like to see if we can shed some light of piston slap getting worst or not in the Tundra/Sequoia.

My dads 02 Tundra has always slapped on cold starts. 88k when he got it, 135k now. Hasn't gotten any worse over the time he's had it

Thanks for the info @Mountain Pig :)

That seems to be the case with all 2UZ (cold start piston slap).

It's my understanding Toyota didn't make and install USA 2UZ in the tundra until sometime in 2003.

I've been hunting all over the net and have posted in 4 different forums and ~12 threads asking for evidence of piston slap. For the most part all I gotten is cold piston slap.

I've also found that in 2005 with the addition of the 2UZ VVt they added oiler jets for each piston. These many have be to reduce piston slap and wear of skirt & cylinder walls.

001.JPG

I have a 2007 5.7 with 116k miles and I've had it sine 25K. It's had cold engine piston slap since day one. Better in the summer, worst in the winter. I just let it warm up well before driving and it doesnt bother me as much.

My truck still sounds like a diesel even when warm, just not as loud. My 2001 GMC Sierra did the same thing...hated it then too.

My last Tundra had 294K on it when I upgraded to my current 2016 Tundra. It was an 2001 still ran like new, however the rust was starting around it. I say don't worry just change the oil and wash it every now and then. Trade it off after 300k or so.

2001 would be a "J" made 4.7L.

The question deals more with are the USA made developing a piston slap after warm up.

I've not found much in response on this questions in any forums. I did hear from 2 out three shops, that the 2003- early 07 USA made 4.7L has issues not seen in the "J" made. Those issues are piston slap after warm up and broken rods. This does in no way mean all USA made engine are bad, but something was going!

have a 2003 4.7 with 220k on the clock...no slap here

Thanks for sharing, this was what I got form all threads more or less.

Really only mechanics said they are see the issues.

WOW! I have to say this is the first I've ever heard of this. I've owned at least two dozen 2UZ'd vehicles, and all I've ever found from them are the quietest, smoothest, non-oil consumingest engines I've ever encountered! Granted, they're not the most powerful V8's I've seen, but they're "sufficient" for their intended purposes. In fact, I currently have a 175k mile GX, a 275K mile Sequoia, and a 321K mile LC, and they all are COMPLETELY silent, smooth, use no oil, etc.

This is interesting to learn. I have a friend who specializes in Toyota repair (primarily Land Cruisers), and I've never heard him mention this. In fact, he's driving a 435K mile LX right now that's also completely issue-free, and his wife has a '98 LX that overheated, blew the geadgaskets, and warped both heads.....and even IT'S completely "normal."

I'm gonna have to look into this further.........Interesting to hear.

2002 LC w/ 219,000mi. Just noticed a cold start knock when the temp dropped. Noticed while at a stop and in gear/Drive. Goes away when engine warms up. I‘ve only noticed this on one occasion. Have any of you had this resolved/fixed Mechanically?

Last edited:
2002 LC w/ 219,000mi. Just noticed a cold start knock when the temp dropped. Noticed while at a stop and in gear/Drive. Goes away when engine warms up. I‘ve only noticed this on one occasion. Have any of you had this resolved/fixed Mechanically?
I have exactly the same issue, which I took as transmission knock initially, turned out to be piston slap. Dealer told me that it's not detrimental to longevity or reliability. It is annoying, no doubt. I've driven the truck for approximately 15k miles since discovery and nothing changed. Smooth once warmed up, but banging and clanging upon cold start ups. I did experiment with oils a bit and noticed that M1 0W oil made it slightly louder, I've decided to switch to 5W Castrol and if this wouldn't help, I'm gonna try 5W40 Shell T6 Rotella and then, may be 10W oil. And am expecting to have used oil analysis in a couple months.

I suppose the only mechanical solution is to rebore cylinders and replace pistons.

If the oil analysis shows low wear metals then I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

I have exactly the same issue, which I took as transmission knock initially, turned out to be piston slap. Dealer told me that it's not detrimental to longevity or reliability. It is annoying, no doubt. I've driven the truck for approximately 15k miles since discovery and nothing changed. Smooth once warmed up, but banging and clanging upon cold start ups. I did experiment with oils a bit and noticed that M1 0W oil made it slightly louder, I've decided to switch to 5W Castrol and if this wouldn't help, I'm gonna try 5W40 Shell T6 Rotella and then, may be 10W oil. And am expecting to have used oil analysis in a couple months.

I suppose the only mechanical solution is to rebore cylinders and replace

Knocking noise ended up being the plastic engine cover. Vibrating and creating a knocking noise when the plastic cover tap/hit the engine near the oil fill cap.

This just started for me too. Except, in my case, i'm in cali so it happens at startup and only last ten seconds or so. Garaged 60d.

99 LX with 240K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom