What are the differences between 2UZ-fe VVti engines, & where can I get one?? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another cool reference I found which has a lot of info on international spec 100/105 Series for years 01 to 04 with detailed Year by Year Changes.
TLC 100-105 Series.pdf

"Really" @beno, you just going to leave us hanging after a statement like that!o_O

Yes.

At this point I am moving further and further away from trying to correct the BS that passes as "knowledge" just because some flunky at Autozone said so.

That said, I'll just illuminate one thing:

Denso DID NOT sell the "molds" for anything to STANDARD. That's not the way any of this works.

Denso--as an internal Toyota Group keiretsu company--would not be allowed to sell "molds" by their internal agreements with TMC. None of the internal Toyota keiretsu companies do this-- Aisin, Toyota Gosei, Toyota Boshuku, JTEKT, etc.

STANDARD--as a large aftermarket parts supplier--has the ability to re-engineer parts that the OEMs engineer and manufacture for a fraction of the price at the OEMs do because of the way the Tiered automotive parts supply system works and because of economies of scale and supply and demand.

That's just one example.

Yes.

At this point I am moving further and further away from trying to correct the BS that passes as "knowledge" just because some flunky at Autozone said so.

Denso DID NOT sell the "molds" for anything to STANDARD. That's not the way any of this works.

Denso--as an internal Toyota Group keiretsu company--would not be allowed to sell "molds" by their internal agreements with TMC. None of the internal Toyota keiretsu companies do this-- Aisin, Toyota Gosei, Toyota Boshuku, JTEKT, etc.

STANDARD--as a large aftermarket parts supplier--has the ability to re-engineer parts that the OEMs engineer and manufacture for a fraction of the price at the OEMs do because of the way the Tiered automotive parts supply system works and because of economies of scale and supply and demand.

That's just one example.
I was really hoping you could shed some light on the difference, if any, in the long block & intake of the 2UZ-fe VVti between models and years. The board believes you to be the most knowledge in this area.

Something like why "some" parts suppliers are showing different part number for some the the internal parts like valve girding kit, between the 07 LC & the 08 4 Runner. Are they giving wrong info, or is there a difference. Are all 2UZ-fe assemble in Japan. If not are all parts from same source as Japanese assembled or some USA assembled with USA parts and to what standard. These are the question this thread is concerned with.

Examples of USA made parts, was only brought up as some believe Japan vs USA assembled may have mix parts, and that perhaps Japanese parts or assemble is better in some way.

How or why Standard is making Fuel Injector "reportedly" in the USA that are identical to Denso right down to Denso wording on them. Or that fact Denso is making spark plugs in the USA, are only example that we are seeing, which inclusion in this thread are simple to illustrate parts are being made in USA that most consider are from Japan.

Because "reportedly" Standard obtained or how they obtained the aluminium mold from Denso makes little difference here. But they do have them and are making them. Additional it is reported by a reputable source not some hard working Autozone person.

Not that it matters, but here is a Denso & Standard Automotive Fuel Injector for the 2UZ-fe.
Standard.
064.JPG

Factory installed (Japan) and USA made side by side.
067.JPG

Last edited:
So much mis-information in this thread that I don't even know where to begin.
Yes.

That's just one example.

Onur- I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from; having a bad day or just feeling the need to prove your "extensive" knowledge of Toyota supply chain economics. Two fairly unuseful posts that add nothing to the point of the discussion, and proceed to redirect the spirit of the conversation in what I see as a negative direction. I appreaciate the foundation of accuracy in posting factual data, it just might have been delivered differently (especially from a mod).

So here is some info on the differences in the connection rods from 1UZ to the 3UZ.
IMG_0070.JPG

Lexus 1UZFE, 2UZFE and 3UZFE rod (I think they are more focused 1UZ but do discuss 2UZ and 3UZ).

They have a pretty interesting forums with all kind of swaps and intermingling of 1UZ to 2UZ etc...
Lextreme: Lexus-Toyota V8 Forum

I've found two engines locally (so for) my 07 LC 2UZ-fe VVti project..

One is a 08 4 runner ~130K setting for last two years all fluids drained looks like kept in garage.
Second is a 05 Tundra 100K no other info.

I've been checking some online parts web pages for difference in internals of long block.
First thing I found was that valve grinding kits all have different part number between the three.
Second I found all three have different head gasket part numbers.

Could this be incorrect info from these online parts sources?
Could it be there is a difference?

Last edited:
Here is an old thread that has some info:
2UZ-FE Diffrences

@agaisin for sharing this link: https://app.box.com/shared/93r775oxze34p180v6ma
With year by year differences for the LX470, it still works! I have a box subscription through my school so it was easy to download as 1 file.

I also found a link with the FSM manuals for 01-06 Tundra here: 2001 - 2006 Toyota Tundra Factory Repair Manuals (I just pulled the Engine FSM listed and it definately shows the VVT sensor).
You are the king of links... Thanks.

If you go in to your parts dept. with the month of manufacture or even better the VIN, you'll get the correct part.
I just emailed my parts guy the question, didn't think to add months and VIN. Good advise TM thank you!

I have done some reading on this subject, all land cruiser 100's where made in Japan. The Toyota Alabama site made engines for the American specific models like the tundra, sequoia, highlander, Tacoma, rav4 and Camry this includes the 4.7 liter VVTI if fitted in them. So the engines in these models are likely to come from Alabama, I cannot say if there are any differences in the engines internal construction but just where they are made. Japan for Land Cruisers, Alabama for the other models mentioned.

The only hard fast difference I know of construction wise is the connecting rods. The 100 series rods are forged, the Tundra/Sequoia ones are cast. This was the reason for the TRD Supercharger being pulled from the market, the cast rods were bending and there was no way to ensure that they only got installed on LC's.

There is the "i-force" designation on the Tundra/4R/Seq, not sure if that denotes a US made motor or what.

FWIW, my 06 4Runner was built in Japan (has the 2UZFE VVTi motor). Don't know if that helps you narrow your search down.

I have done some reading on this subject, all land cruiser 100's where made in Japan. The Toyota Alabama site made engines for the American specific models like the tundra, sequoia, highlander, Tacoma, rav4 and Camry this includes the 4.7 liter VVTI if fitted in them. So the engines in these models are likely to come from Alabama, I cannot say if there are any differences in the engines internal construction but just where they are made. Japan for Land Cruisers, Alabama for the other models mentioned.
I believe the 1st gen Tundra with the 2UZ-FE was "built" in Princeton, Indiana. The American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) requires disclosure of information on origin of the vehicle and its parts.

AALA 2005 shows the 2005 Tundra had 70% Domestic Content. What parts make up the 30%? Could it include engine components? :meh:

I think Princeton is where the production line is to assemble the vehicles, it isn't the engine plant. That is second hand info so don't hold me to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom