Went to see my first Fj40 today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking at a 1969 fj40 with a bikini top. It’s got an F engine, and I realized I probably want to go with 2F. I decided I’d rather go with a hard top then a bikini or the soft top. I also viewed a 1973 with a hard top and a Chevy block engine. They both had a bit of rust which was covered with diamond plate as expected, but I think I’d rather have a bit of rust showing then the diamond plate. I learned a lot and I look forward to learning more, and hopefully soon purchasing one!

There are some pretty good cruiser guys in your area @CapriCruiser. @c2dfj45 sees some very legit 40 series through his shop (both personal and clients). I owned a lot of cruisers before I jumped into the 40 series world. There are good trucks and there are junk trucks and the line between the two can be a little blurry to the untrained eye. It can be a little intimidating at times and you are going to want to have a lot of patience as you search for the right truck. I live in Florida and see a lot of 40 series for sale but I have never bought one local for a number of reasons. If I were you, I would monitor the Mud classifieds and try to buy a truck that has been properly maintained. There are just too many people out there these days trying to flip 40 series and I have just seen too many people pay top dollar for trucks from “restoration” shops/dealers/whatever only to find out the truck might look pretty but was hiding a lot of issues and those issues can be expensive to fix at times. Just be patient and lean on the resources in this forum. Good luck.

There are some pretty good cruiser guys in your area @CapriCruiser. @c2dfj45 sees some very legit 40 series through his shop (both personal and clients). I owned a lot of cruisers before I jumped into the 40 series world. There are good trucks and there are junk trucks and the line between the two can be a little blurry to the untrained eye. It can be a little intimidating at times and you are going to want to have a lot of patience as you search for the right truck. I live in Florida and see a lot of 40 series for sale but I have never bought one local for a number of reasons. If I were you, I would monitor the Mud classifieds and try to buy a truck that has been properly maintained. There are just too many people out there these days trying to flip 40 series and I have just seen too many people pay top dollar for trucks from “restoration” shops/dealers/whatever only to find out the truck might look pretty but was hiding a lot of issues and those issues can be expensive to fix at times. Just be patient and lean on the resources in this forum. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice! I will try to be patient however it is a bit hard as I really want to learn to drive manual and all I’ve ever driven is automatic so.. Also I like your 40! I’ve debated over once I got one to paint it a yellow color or the Capri blue.

Also, if you find something, post pictures... a lot of pictures. That way we can help “tear it apart” per say. Then you will know if it’s something you want to deal with, or if it’s to much. Good luck!!

I’ll bring you one as far as Lockwood’s house next week.

Actually this young fella is looking for one to paint. Can’t turn this one loose to that fate. It’s a living museum piece.
I do definetly like the look of that red one and how original it is, however yes I am interested in getting one and painting it Capri blue. Just curious, what are you asking for that one?

I do definetly like the look of that red one and how original it is, however yes I am interested in getting one and painting it Capri blue. Just curious, what are you asking for that one?

Not sure yet. Still dialing it in

I would love to, however I’m just a kid in high school and I’m paying for it myself so unfortunately for now I won’t be able to get one that’s refurbished. Hopefully I’ll be able to get one like that eventually.
They can help you find one within your budget and give you advice on what to look for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom