Welding Help on Quarter Panels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The link to the video below outlines the issue that I'm dealing with. Basically I can't get my plug welds to stick.

Any Thoughts?

Great video. So three thoughts from a non-expert:
1. Is your ground clamp on the painted surface of the fender flange? You might not be getting the arc to flow through that metal. Your getting flow on the outer panel, hence the plug.
2. On those size holes, I’d weld around the edges then circle into the center for full fill.
3. Looks like your on B setting? I’d consider C only after thinking about A, then B.

Hope that helps. Paul

Thanks Paul. I'm a non expert of non experts, so I really appreciate the tips!

Do you have any thinish (1/8”) copper plates, a few inches by a few inches? If so, I like to put one under the backside of the ground clamp to help both with arc conduct but also cooling. Not really necessary though for spot/plug welds. GL.

not hot enough. for plugs you need to be on the too hot side.
you would be more comfortable ditching the stick welding gloves and picking up a pair of tig gloves.

Ditto from above and:
Ground should be somewhere that both parts are adequately grounded, somewhere common like rear sill.
5/16” hole for plug spot welding, nothing less. Spot weld drill bits are 5/16”. I’ve tried 3/16” and it simply doesn’t work. 1/4” maybe stick somewhat. 5/16” gives enough time on the weld to get in some heat.
I know that was only one weld you were showing but that was a lot of spatter. After you dremel get all the crud out of there. I like the toothbrush sized stainless brushes to get all the excess.
you could also overclean with a little acetone. No fires or explosions pleaseo_O

Two points. First, what size wire are you running? From your heat setting and duration on the welding, I would guess you are running .035. You should try smaller wire. I use .023 - .025 for spot welds. You get more heat for a longer period of time which gives a better weld, but you increase the risk of warping so you have to watch for that. Second, do you have the polarity set correctly on your welder? Incorrect polarity can cause the problems you are having. My thoughts, for what they are worth.

Two points. First, what size wire are you running? From your heat setting and duration on the welding, I would guess you are running .035. You should try smaller wire. I use .023 - .025 for spot welds. You get more heat for a longer period of time which gives a better weld, but you increase the risk of warping so you have to watch for that. Second, do you have the polarity set correctly on your welder? Incorrect polarity can cause the problems you are having. My thoughts, for what they are worth.
You might get some scrap and practice doing rosette welds to get your machine adjusted properly. I agree with the above but I would set the heat up a bit or slow the wire feed down or both. It looks like you are not getting the metal penetration to get it molten and join together being careful to not warp your panels. To keep the warping down have your compressed air ready to apply to cool it down after you weld. Good luck.

X3 on not hot enough. You want to weld it fast and hot to minimize the amount of heat and therefore warping. I would also clamp it on both sides of the hole as close as possible to prevent warping of the metal that may pull the two surfaces apart. Also clean the front and back sides of the surfaces first. A flap disk should be fine.

Last edited:
I'm not a welder but I've welded lots of these holes. X4 on the heat and in the video you don't seem to be on the hole long enough for something beyond a tack. Prep is important and if you own another long clamp get both sides of the hole clamped (like Pin_Head said). Not sure what you did with the Dremel but the parts should be clean first and the weld primer can be removed from the hole with acetone, etc. if it's hurting you. Get a better ground and one that's closer to the weld, I wouldn't go through the big clamp. I start a puddle in the middle of the hole on the base material and go right 360 around the rim in one smooth motion. Then try to control the filler amount so you don't have excessive grinding later. Everyone worries about too much heat but you are right to worry about a good weld with good penetration. I invested in a lot of small wire "for sheet metal" early on but only use the heavier stuff these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom