Quarter panel real sill short term bandaid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello recently purchased this fj defiantly has cool patina but also so series rust and 30 year old bond I am looking to either leave it alone or a quick cover up until I can do metal work properly at least 3 to 5 years away. NOT A 100 opposed to diamond plate quarters but reluctant especially since other quarter is good have to do some sort of bandaid Thanks
20231206_131919.jpg
20231206_122705.jpg

Can I get a vote on diamond plate lol
If you don't like the looks of what you have now but aren't ready to do body work then my vote would be diamond plate. Once you do get into fixing the body I think you will find the other side is not much better it is just the paint is holding it together a little more, I recently did that work on my 73 and it needed a new sill and both quarter panels.

If you don't like the looks of what you have now but aren't ready to do body work then my vote would be diamond plate. Once you do get into fixing the body I think you will find the other side is not much better it is just the paint is holding it together a little more, I recently did that work on my 73 and it needed a new sill and both quarter panels.
Would you go shiny or black diamond plate

Two thoughts, (1) leave alone and enjoy, (2) try saving what you have until you ready for doing it correctly - rust treatment and temp fix. Not a fan of diamond plating.

As Sky King, replaced quarter panels and rear sill & painted — after all mechanicals were done — only took 7 plus years!

Drive and enjoy.

FWIW, that's the best way I can think of to trap water against an already rusty metal surface. You better off looking through @wngrog patina preservation threads, IMHO.

Don't cover it up. You're just giving the rust another place to start spreading. In addition, your best laid plans to address it in 3-5 years are likely to become 5-7 or even 7-10, or you will sell the 'project' due to life changes. There are countless examples on the forum.

Follow the tips in the preserving patina thread and enjoy driving it.

I'd shoot it with a liberal coating of Fluid Film a few times a year and live with it just like it is.

Initially I'd hit each side with a full can, probably twice in a month span.

Another vote for leave it as is or preserve
the patina.

I agree with suggestions. Knock off some of the crustiest parts, blast it with a rust stopper and drive it as is. Diamond plate will make it twice as bad, twice as fast.

Just preserve and drive until you are ready to do a full restoration. The sill/quarters project will scope creep and there’s no point until you are ready to do it all because it will all need work.
Take it from someone who’s doing this now. I sandblasted and found there was nothing but bondo and paint holding it together. However bad you think it is, double it. Wait until you have the time, space, skills and money to take on the project. Double all those things too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom