Welding broken bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The hot glob down into your boot into that little hole where the tongue meets the body of the boot at the ankle and the boots pucker out just a little when flexed. It takes so damn long to undo those laces.

Yeah, you just have to grit your teeth and ride it out. A big blob that falls right into the inside crook of your elbow (overhead welding) usually 'sticks' there (to your skin) and likewise creates a situation where you just have to ride it out. I have permanent scars from just such situations. When I have blood drawn....I always get funny looks or questions about past 'addictions' of which I have none.

You want to be sure the bottoms of blue-jeans are not tattered as well. You'll be welding along and suddenly feel a LOT of heat on your leg...only to find out you've set yourself on fire. And of course, hot BB's will burn right though a thin shirt if welding overhead or on your back (under a vehicle) just be aware.....it can happen.

Depending on where the spatter lands and your tolerance for pain...you can suck it up and keep welding or learn a new dance move.

The hot glob down into your boot into that little hole where the tongue meets the body of the boot at the ankle and the boots pucker out just a little when flexed. It takes so damn long to undo those laces.

That's why you should wear flip flops. When that glob drops between your toes, you can kick the flip flop off and continue laying down that bead :rofl:

MIG welding under a car, and getting a hot bead of weld spatter fall into your ear, and then listening to it sizzle in your own ear wax, and banging your head on the frame while trying to shake that hot little mother fùcker loose from your ear is a rite of passage!! 😮😡🤬
Been there done that, not fun :p

In the ear sucks the most IMHO. Been there done that more than once.

welding.jpg

My kids think it's funny when I ask them to stand by with a fire extinguisher to "put me out" when welding under the car. So far I have managed to disappoint them.
:flipoff2:

The last over head welding job was an exhaust repair for my SIL. I was rooting for burning that s*** box to the axles, no such luck. :(
I get to keep maintaining it.

I have found that damp bath towels (ones the missus has retired, I might be thick, but I'm not suicidal) laid over my arms and around the back of the helmet have saved me from the worst of the burns.

I've been teaching my son to weld, most of it is toughening him up. Suck it up Butter Cup, getting a hot spark in your boot is part of the job.

The last over head welding job was an exhaust repair for my SIL. I

As a mechanic, the thing that I welded most for a paycheck was exhaust systems. I was a muffler pipeliner. This was 100% overhead welding with OA, with the top part of the pipe done by feel because you couldn’t see. You would use the same torch to cut the old muffler out by turning up the O2 pressure and then cutting the acetylene and then burning the pipe to cut it. This made a lot of berries and sparks and you learned to stand back out of the way real quick. My shop manager was so cheap that we really did use coat hangers for filler rod. Clean uniforms were delivered twice a week, so we had plenty of coat hangers.

As a mechanic, the thing that I welded most for a paycheck was exhaust systems. I was a muffler pipeliner. This was 100% overhead welding with OA, with the top part of the pipe done by feel because you couldn’t see. You would use the same torch to cut the old muffler out by turning up the O2 pressure and then cutting the acetylene and then burning the pipe to cut it. This made a lot of berries and sparks and you learned to stand back out of the way real quick. My shop manager was so cheap that we really did use coat hangers for filler rod. Clean uniforms were delivered twice a week, so we had plenty of coat hangers.

Believe it or not....Coat Hangers were used for many years in just about every (old school) muffler shop everywhere. Not because the company was 'cheap' but because they are the perfect size, bend easily, flow well, strong enough to hold up.

Believe it or not....Coat Hangers were used for many years in just about every (old school) muffler shop everywhere. Not because the company was 'cheap' but because they are the perfect size, bend easily, flow well, strong enough to hold up.
I learn to weld with acetylene torch and Coat hangers, I do think the were made better back then ;)

... I’ll be moving soon and my greatest priority in our outrageous real estate market is a shop/garage with 2 220 volt outlets.
DIY - roll-your-own shop electric outlet upgrade : :bounce:
2x 240VAC x 50Amp outlets - just below the subpanel - for the welders (bigger ones) & maybe electric vehicle charging.
3x 240VAC x 30Amp outlets on one conduit across one wall. - for machine tools, air compressors, etc
3x(4 outlets each) 120VAC x 20Amp outlets (on 2 independent breakers on opposite poles) on one conduit across one wall. - for anything.
A major upgrade for my garage/shop.

Outlet_One_By_Subpanel.JPG

Outlet_Two_Mid-Wall.JPG

Last edited:
I’ve been using a Hobart 187 ( hobby 220 volt mig machine) for 13 years, built several bumpers, sliders, etc with it, as well as other projects. Beware- owning a mig welder has an uncanny ability to generate welding projects. I’ll be moving soon and my greatest priority in our outrageous real estate market is a shop/garage with 2 220 volt outlets.
If there are spare slots in the electrical panel, it's really easy to add the outlets in the garage.

If there are spare slots in the electrical panel, it's really easy to add the outlets in the garage.
If not a couple of piggy back beakers and your good to go. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom