Water Pump Failure? (I hope) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This morning I noticed a whomp whomp sound that went away with higher RPMs. It has been single digits here and so I chalked it up to being cold and grouchy. My commute is about 27 miles. When I got to work it had worsened. Went to the jail and it was still present when I finished. At a stop light on the way back to the office the truck stopped running. It started back up as normal. I started thinking water pump based on my sort of feeling that maybe the sound was front bottom. There's no play in the fan from what I can tell. I put. about .75 gallons of coolant in after arriving home hoping that the sound I'm hearing might be the pump scavenging. It does now sound like there's a metallic scraping I think. The addition of coolant did not correct the issue. Below is a link to a video of it although it doesn't capture the sound well.

Someone tell me it's the water pump so I can not worry about my bottom end. I'm very concerned about the sound. Oil is within normal limits and roughly clean based on when I did the last oil change.

Why did you have to add .75 gal coolant - are you losing coolant? If so, I'd be more concerned with finding the source of that leak ASAP before chasing down that noise by testing each of the front end pulleys

This morning I noticed a whomp whomp sound that went away with higher RPMs. It has been single digits here and so I chalked it up to being cold and grouchy. My commute is about 27 miles. When I got to work it had worsened. Went to the jail and it was still present when I finished. At a stop light on the way back to the office the truck stopped running. It started back up as normal. I started thinking water pump based on my sort of feeling that maybe the sound was front bottom. There's no play in the fan from what I can tell. I put. about .75 gallons of coolant in after arriving home hoping that the sound I'm hearing might be the pump scavenging. It does now sound like there's a metallic scraping I think. The addition of coolant did not correct the issue. Below is a link to a video of it although it doesn't capture the sound well.

Someone tell me it's the water pump so I can not worry about my bottom end. I'm very concerned about the sound. Oil is within normal limits and roughly clean based on when I did the last oil change.

It's your fan bracket - the bearing is failed. You can see the fan wobble with the noise. The longer you go the worse the wobble will get until it fails completely.

It's your fan bracket - the bearing is failed. You can see the fan wobble with the noise. The longer you go the worse the wobble will get until it fails completely.
Fan bracket saying it's about to leave the building. Do the TB and water pump too. The fan bracket is 80% of the entire TB/WP job.

And if it’s not replaced ASAP, the fan can and will come off and destroy your radiator. Telling for a friend….that had no warning of bracket failure until it flew into the radiator in Bucees parking lot. Fun fun.

When making your video. Keep camera still, pointing at one area for extended period. Like in this video below.

Here you'll see the large pulley belt on, between fan clutch and fan bracket wobble. This is a bad fan bracket. When this bad, don't drive.

Last edited:
A mechanic stethoscope, can easily confirm a bad pulley bearing. For fan bracket. Just place probe on fan bracket body, behind large pulley on driver side. For other pulleys, place on their retaining bolt. For alternator place on rear, on body or a stud. Be mindful of spinning parts i.e. fan, fan clutch, pulleys and belt. They bit!
63691_I.jpg

Thank you all. I hope you're right. I have taken another longer video from a single position. You can hear it once it gets off high idle at about the 16 second mark. I think I'll go ahead and do the timing belt and water pump now as well. I can't imagine that a main would make that sound and fan bracket or pulley bearing sounds way more likely I hope.

I'm not seeing fan bracket wobble. But that doesn't mean its bearings not shot. At this point I'd use stethoscope if you have one. Next, I'd remove the drive belt and inspect idler, tensioner and fan bracket.

You'll also want to inspect fan clutch closely. Timmy The Toolman has a good video on that.

I've also heard alternators make similar sound, before failing.

If timing belt due, do it. But I'd inspect to determine, whether can be easily fix i.e. idler, tensioner bearing(s), etc. now and drive. Or need to stop drive now.

BTW: Being 3/4 gallon low on coolant, with no leaks. Indicates last person to service, anything coolant related. Did not properly top.

Sounds like a bad pully or fan bracket. Failing water pump should be seeping or leaking, you'd notice it. I'm confused how you were able to add .75 gal of coolant, was your expansion tank totally empty? If so, kick yourself in the nuts because that's one of the few ways to kill this engine. Check oil, check coolant level in the expansion tank. Keep oil where oil should be, water where water should be, and in the right amounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom