Water Pump ANSWERS (Sticky or FAQ?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know that there is a lot of questions and controversy about the water pumps on the 40s. I just went through this with a customer (from MUD) that ordered one from me. I just went off of his production date and voila! WRONG. So here is my little PSA for you guys that need a water pump. This is information that I deduced from the parts catalog, experience, and trial and error. Basically, there are two pumps still available from Toyota. An early model pump, and a later model pump. The biggest difference being, direct drive fan or fan clutch. Obviously, the shaft on the direct drive pump is longer and the flange is different to bolt directly to the fan.

So if you have an early style with direct drive fan you need the pump on the LEFT which is part # 16100-61012, and if you have a fan clutch you need the one on the RIGHT which is a part # 16110-61081-77.

IMAG0534.jpg

IMAG0535.jpg

You may notice that the pump on the right has a port for an oil cooler. You can no longer get the one without oil cooler. Michael from ACC (he pretty much knows everything) told me that they normally weld the extra port. If you don't have access to welding equipment you will just have to cap it.

(If anyone wants to correct me on any of this, feel free. This is just the information I've obtained and wanted to share. Like anything else in life I can't guarantee it will work in every situation.)

This public service announcement is brought to you by the letter M, for MUD, Lowe Toyota, and ACC Toyota Truck and Land Cruiser. Thank you.

TheMoreYouKnow.gif

Last edited:
Yes, but that flange can be switched between pumps, I now run a direct drive fan on a formerly clutch drive waterpump.
And that extra port for the oilcooler makes a fine place to stick an aftermarket watertemp sender...

The biggest difference being, direct drive fan or fan clutch. Obviously, the shaft on the direct drive pump is longer and the flange is different to bolt directly to the fan.

Was there a year where they did have an oil cooler and no fan clutch? Say 77?

I left out the information about the year, production, and with/without oil cooler because it's a mess. There are part numbers for virtually every combination but most are no longer available or supersede to one of the numbers above.

Just for reference (and a little fun) this is what the part number list looks like in the parts catalog:

water%2Bpump.bmp

Edit: Looks like maybe a 77-79 40 was available with cooler and without clutch? Part # 16100-61080 (discontinued of course)

I do not believe '77 came stock with an oil cooler. At least mine doesn't have one. It does have a direct drive fan though. Sam, you need to edit your first post, because you said "pump on the left" twice.

So here's a question - can the later style pump be mounted to an earlier 2F block? And does the earlier 2F block have mounting provisions for the oil cooler?

That's strange Matt...My '77 has an oil cooler, and the clutch fan...Maybe because mine is a California emissions model??

I'm pretty sure it's yes and yes.

So here's a question - can the later style pump be mounted to an earlier 2F block? And does the earlier 2F block have mounting provisions for the oil cooler?

I do not believe '77 came stock with an oil cooler. At least mine doesn't have one. It does have a direct drive fan though. Sam, you need to edit your first post, because you said "pump on the left" twice.

Thanks for the heads up. I fixed it.

I'm not sure of there is a difference in the blocks but there are a few different part numbers. The catalog doesn't give specifics. With the naked eye it looks like the mounting holes are identical.

IMAG0537.jpg

That's strange Matt...My '77 has an oil cooler, and the clutch fan...Maybe because mine is a California emissions model??

Could be, Kurt. Yours is also a 6/'77, whereas mine is a 10/'76. Maybe there was a mid-model year change?

Thanks for the heads up. I fixed it.

I'm not sure of there is a difference in the blocks but there are a few different part numbers. The catalog doesn't give specifics. With the naked eye it looks like the mounting holes are identical.

IMAG0537.jpg

Yes you can add an oil cooler to an early 2f as well you can delete the oil cooler from a later 2f.

Another interesting thing is a FJ60 pump will work on a 40 setup but it places the fan about an inch higher from what I can tell

Last edited:
I'm running the late waterpump on 2F 098203...mid '76 block. Just had to swap flanges and plug the extra hole.
Ran an oilcooler on this block for a while, just for the oilpressure sender, until I found the oilfilter mount tapped for the sender. IIRC, they are a bolt-on swap for each other.

Yes you can add an oil cooler to an early 2f.

I'm running the late waterpump on 2F 098203...mid '76 block. Just had to swap flanges and plug the extra hole.
Ran an oilcooler on this block for a while, just for the oilpressure sender, until I found the oilfilter mount tapped for the sender. IIRC, they are a bolt-on swap for each other.

So are the holes already drilled and tapped for the oil cooler whether you have one or not? I've had this questions asked of me before and I wasn't sure of the answer. I do know a lot of the older Toyota blocks are the same but they just don't drill and tap the holes if they're not installing the oil cooler or P/S or whatever else.

Edit: An example of this being my 80 pickup that has an engine out of an earlier model 2WD hilux that didn't have the holes drilled and tapped for the P/S bracket on the head.

I think the oil filter mount and the oil cooler mount use the same holes...

So are the holes already drilled and tapped for the oil cooler whether you have one or not? I've had this questions asked of me before and I wasn't sure of the answer. I do know a lot of the older Toyota blocks are the same but they just don't drill and tap the holes if they're not installing the oil cooler or P/S or whatever else.

Edit: An example of this being my 80 pickup that has an engine out of an earlier model 2WD hilux that didn't have the holes drilled and tapped for the P/S bracket on the head.

The only bolts that hold the oil cooler on are the 4 bolts that mount on the block. Same as the early 40. PS holes were added in 79 I believe and from what I have read the early 2f blocks cannot be drilled.

It does, but not pictured is the mount that goes between the cooler and the block...

It does, but not pictured is the mount that goes between the cooler and the block...

Oh I see what you mean. I was looking at a non-oil cooler filter mount. The one with the cooler just bolts on the bracket.

oil%2Bcooler%2Bfilter.bmp

I believe california model 76-77 2f had an oil cooler or atleast it was an option. My 76 ca model has one.

Does any body have different thermostat housings to take a picture of ?(2 bolt 4 bolt oil cooler or not) I believe the California models with the oil cooler had two bolts and an outlet for the oil cooler others had four bolts.

Another interesting thing is a FJ60 pump will work on a 40 setup but it places the fan about an inch higher from what I can tell

does the 60 pump have oil cooler port or no? been 8 years since i replaced one and don't remember, but my 2f 45 needs a water pump and i'm not going to run the cooler and i'm keeping the fan clutch

I believe california model 76-77 2f had an oil cooler or atleast it was an option. My 76 ca model has one.

Does any body have different thermostat housings to take a picture of ?(2 bolt 4 bolt oil cooler or not) I believe the California models with the oil cooler had two bolts and an outlet for the oil cooler others had four bolts.

The parts fiche pictures are terrible but it looks like all of them are 2 bolt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom