WARN 8274...show what ya got! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ah, looks like the typical water filled 8274 with rusty pitted gears...mine was the same.... but with a good cleaning it should still be fine;)
I hope so! Thanks for the encouragement... the main gear has some messed up teeth, but the rest of the internals should still work. Will upgrade motor and contactor and see how it goes!

I hope so! Thanks for the encouragement... the main gear has some messed up teeth, but the rest of the internals should still work. Will upgrade motor and contactor and see how it goes!

Bead blast it all. All that rust will come right off.

8274R1.jpg

Yep, I like what you guys are doing in order to have a good working 8274.

l just don’t get it when folks go out & buy a lesser brand…just because it’s new. Do what you guys have done, spend a bit of $$ and some time and you are good for many years of unfailing use.

Yep, I like what you guys are doing in order to have a good working 8274.

l just don’t get it when folks go out & buy a lesser brand…just because it’s new. Do what you guys have done, spend a bit of $$ and some time and you are good for many years of unfailing use.
Plus, I get to talk to Jack at WSP!!

anyone selling a nice 8274?

I’ll play…
0AA869DC-08FA-4471-B8F2-2AF61AB0437D.jpeg
48F084C8-568C-4541-9133-5F4FA6712FB5.jpeg
EDAA96B6-FD54-4E03-BB9A-9856DDB40CCA.jpeg

Picked this up for about $270 USD, powers in and out great.

Freewheel engages and disengages the motor easily… but so far I can’t pull the cable out by hand.

It has only seen light use, but I suspect there’s corrosion around the drum. Thoughts?

I’ll play…View attachment 2944544View attachment 2944545View attachment 2944546

Picked this up for about $270 USD, powers in and out great.

Freewheel engages and disengages the motor easily… but so far I can’t pull the cable out by hand.

It has only seen light use, but I suspect there’s corrosion around the drum. Thoughts?

^^^^^

More likely the brake needs to be cleaned and serviced. The drum rides on a couple of nylon sleeves (bearings) so unless they are worn completely through and the drum riding on the housing....then corrosion is not your issue.

The brake however will cause drag when trying to free spool out line. No doubt the bearing 'balls' are rusted and probably the internal surfaces as well. Just tear it down and freshen everything up. You'll have a fine running winch afterward.

Show it a little love. That one is more than 40 years old....but still has a lot of life in it. I'm still running the one I bought new in 1983.

^^^
This…plus 8274’s are notoriously not very smooth when you free spool.

^^^^^

More likely the brake needs to be cleaned and serviced. The drum rides on a couple of nylon sleeves (bearings) so unless they are worn completely through and the drum riding on the housing....then corrosion is not your issue.

The brake however will cause drag when trying to free spool out line. No doubt the bearing 'balls' are rusted and probably the internal surfaces as well. Just tear it down and freshen everything up. You'll have a fine running winch afterward.

Show it a little love. That one is more than 40 years old....but still has a lot of life in it. I'm still running the one I bought new in 1983.
This one is a 1980. It spent most of its life on a trailer to load a 1600 lb rail car. A couple years on the deck of a service truck and then 5-10 on the floor under the sellers bench.

When I have some time I’ll dig into it and freshen it up. For the time being, it’ll have to wait till the front axle is changed out and serviced. No point in worrying about the winch before the diff ratios are matching.

If it’s likely a dragging brake, I’ll also see if it’ll come if I use something more than just two fingers on the hook. Not go crazy, but at least have something to grip on.

Last edited:
Yes, i have problems that i need to work out with myself. :flipoff2:

View attachment 2945126
Looking great.

If it was mine I’d hit it next with a die grinder with a cotton buffing wheel and Autosol. I’ve put a mirror finish on many motorcycle cases using Autosol. :grinpimp:

And you think you have problems… :flipoff2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom