WARN 8274...show what ya got! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Question relating to free spool…

How quickly should an 8274 stop when powering in/out? Mine stops within a fraction of a second of releasing the switch in both directions.

When the motor is disengaged the cable can’t be pulled by hand. It has been suggested
that the brake could be binding. (I’ve never had another assembled 8274, so I don’t know how it should work.) It appears to me that the brake isn’t the source of resistance. The brake assembly isn’t frozen, and the centre part turns freely when there’s no load on the cable. When I try to turn the brake assembly, it rocks back and forth a few degrees with almost no resistance and then it stops.

If there is a load on the cable, the brake seems to clamp together on the friction material and holds tight together.

Ultimately, I know the reason will become apparent when I strip it down refurbish it. In the meantime, do I risk damaging anything by using it as is without free-spool working?

If you can't pull it out by hand free spool, then something is wrong. Sometimes when I put it in free spool I have to spin the center of the brake to unlock it, but then it comes out super duper easy, like two fingers easy if the line isn't bound on the drum.

Once I release the power button, it takes maybe 5 seconds for the winch to come to a stop. Once te line gets tight on something, the brake locks like it should and it will not spool itself out, so I belive my brake is working correctly.

Imo your brake is messed up.

Question relating to free spool…

How quickly should an 8274 stop when powering in/out? Mine stops within a fraction of a second of releasing the switch in both directions.

When the motor is disengaged the cable can’t be pulled by hand. It has been suggested
that the brake could be binding. (I’ve never had another assembled 8274, so I don’t know how it should work.) It appears to me that the brake isn’t the source of resistance. The brake assembly isn’t frozen, and the centre part turns freely when there’s no load on the cable. When I try to turn the brake assembly, it rocks back and forth a few degrees with almost no resistance and then it stops.

If there is a load on the cable, the brake seems to clamp together on the friction material and holds tight together.

Ultimately, I know the reason will become apparent when I strip it down refurbish it. In the meantime, do I risk damaging anything by using it as is without free-spool working?

Do as I told you and inspect your brake assembly. Also check to see that the winch (when/if mounted) is mounted squarely so the drum is not binding, but most issues with free spooling are brake related. Or you are trying to pull the line out too quickly or you need to pay out a small amount of line first.

The 8274 under the best of conditions does not free spool as easily as other models.

The 8274 under the best of conditions does not free spool as easily as other models.
Idk, as long as my line is not bound on the drum, it's way easier to unspool my 8274 than my buddies worm drive winches.

Idk, as long as my line is not bound on the drum, it's way easier to unspool my 8274 than my buddies worm drive winches.

Best way to keep an 8274 working properly is to 'exercise' it several times a years....to include free spooling line out 75' or so and powering back in.

Very few worm drive winches on the market these days (Ramsey). Worm gears are self braking.....so any issues free spooling will be drum related on those types.

Well technically, :lol:

Whatever. I mean compared to all of the warns, smittybuilts, etc. I think the guys I wheel with would agree.

Well technically, :lol:

Whatever. I mean compared to all of the warns, smittybuilts, etc. I think the guys I wheel with would agree.

Oh I'm a big 8274 fan. Had mine since new in 1983, have hundreds and hundreds of hours of use on it....so intimately familiar with its strengths and weaknesses. Freespooling one that has sat for a long time is almost certain to give some trouble. Sometimes easily overcome...other times might require some service.

I use mine often enough around the ranch that its not an issue for me. But I've seen way too many others (in person) that have temporary issues (freespooling) to discount it. Mount it squarely, use it from time to time and its no problem.

Best way to keep an 8274 working properly is to 'exercise' it several times a years....to include free spooling line out 75' or so and powering back in.

Very few worm drive winches on the market these days (Ramsey). Worm gears are self braking.....so any issues free spooling will be drum related on those types.
I think @GLTHFJ60 meant planetary gear winches.

My experience is that the difficult freespool on my winch was a sticky brake assembly that sounds very similar to @bikersmurf . I questioned for a long time whether it was the problem. It was not as hard to take apart as I had feared, and a simple cleanup of the brake assembly solved the problem. Pulling the other side and lubing as @gnob is suggesting is even easier and could eliminate another potential source of friction in the system.

Finally got my rebuild lit up today! Here are a couple of before and after shots. It was a bear getting it apart, but I soaked it in Evaporust for about a week and it finally gave up!

Mahle Letrika Motor
DC88p-1000 Contactor
Gigglepin upper housing bearing kit
New main gear
New contactor cover
1/0 wiring with Bluesea relay, 300 Amp fuse, and cab controls in center console.
All new bushings, bearings, stainless hardware, puck-less brake.

8274before1.jpg

8274Before2.jpeg

8274After1.jpg

20220316_154350.jpg

20220316_154024.jpg

1/0 wiring with Bluesea relay, 300 Amp fuse,

Nice job on your rebuild!

Be careful with the fuse and relay ratings; the 8274 can can draw over 500 amps momentarily on start-up. Once it gets going, it settles down and runs at about 250 amps, IIRC.

Agree, great rebuild, it was in really bad shape & you’ve brought it back!

I would suggest doing some additional work on your cables tho, try to get those sharp bends/turns straightened out a bit.

Nice job on your rebuild!

Be careful with the fuse and relay ratings; the 8274 can can draw over 500 amps momentarily on start-up. Once it gets going, it settles down and runs at about 250 amps, IIRC.
Thanks... I will be watching carefully... the Blue Sea relay is rated at 500A continuous... but I do have a 300A battery fuse in the line, so if that pops, I may need to up that.

Agree, great rebuild, it was in really bad shape & you’ve brought it back!

I would suggest doing some additional work on your cables tho, try to get those sharp bends/turns straightened out a bit.
Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to eliminate all of those bends. All of them are actually manufactured lugs in those shapes except for the "A" connection (farthest forward on the driver side) which is actually the wire. I crimped it with the bend in it, and the welding cable is pretty flexible, so fingers crossed. Only other way I can see to route it would be to put a big hole in the side of the contactor cover and make a big loop. Once I get her on her feet again (rear axle rebuild currently under way), I'll go out and drag some logs around and see if it heats anything up.

Hey, question for you guys: My winch rope came with a metal lug at the spool end. Do you use a bolt with that to attach to the spool, or just cut it off and pass the rope through the hole and use a knot (e.g., figure 8)? Seams to me the knot might actually be stronger, and would allow the rope a better level wind against the spool.

Post in thread 'Warn XD9000i rebuild' Warn XD9000i rebuild - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/warn-xd9000i-rebuild.1121097/post-14332527
Hey, question for you guys: My winch rope came with a metal lug at the spool end. Do you use a bolt with that to attach to the spool, or just cut it off and pass the rope through the hole and use a knot (e.g., figure 8)? Seams to me the knot might actually be stronger, and would allow the rope a better level wind against the spool.

... just cut it off and pass the rope through the hole and use a knot ...

This. It's how the 8274 was designed to attach the rope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom