Want to rent/borrow a knuckle centering tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!
I am in Portland Oregon and I am swapping 60 knuckles onto my '71 FJ55.
Does anyone have a knuckle centering tool that I could rent or borrow?
I would be happy to pay shipping both ways...

Let me know!

Why start a new thread when there's a perfectly good, hardly used one already here?
I, too, am preparing myself for another Pig knuckle job. I have a big box from Kurt, some new TREs, brake parts are coming.
I have never used this or any SST on these mini knuckles on my '74 housing, i just winged it. Perhaps i should try to do it right for once.
Perhaps elevate my status from casual shade tree mechanic to intermediate shade tree mechanic.
Would there be anyone in the Placerville area who has this tool be willing to lend it to me? I'll leave a hefty cash deposit and clean it well and not hit it with a hammer. Buy you lunch too if we can meet.
Failing that, could i perhaps persuade someone who's not using their tool at the moment to lend me their tool if i pay shipping? No lunch but perhaps a rental fee?
Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:
This is what’s coming.

231E5092-74CC-4B65-93A3-5515ACAE79B6.jpeg

Beautiful.

Hey guys this is a little off topic but what type of paint pen are folks using to mark the tool to scribe the lines? I’m using Prussian blue or something similar right now and it always smears when I go to take the lower trunion bearing off o transfer the tool over to the knuckle. Frustrating! Would love to have a better plan.

Last edited:
This paint pen came with the tool. It's hard and dry, might need a new one.
Also, just figured out my calipers too small. Looking for a bigger one now.

20220219_084845.jpg

Thanks for the replies gents. I’ll get both white out and paint pen and see if high one I like best.

You might be OK. Make a pile of them so there easy to get too. At some point, Regardless of how greasey a used towel is, it's sometimes cleaner than your hands.

You’re almost prepared. Spring scale, 54mm socket, .10 .20 .50 additional shims if actually needing to adjust, tie rod separator that won’t ruin the boots, and a couple different range torque wrenches
2794670D-C634-4100-B51A-4F51825877D2.jpeg

You’re almost prepared. Spring scale, 54mm socket, .10 .20 .50 additional shims if actually needing to adjust, tie rod separator that won’t ruin the boots, and a couple different range torque wrenchesView attachment 2930577
I think I'm prepared. I bet the shims are in the box from Kurt. Have new T.R.E.s and a pickle fork.
Already got to try out my new brass drift, which i love. Even got some cleaning agents. Not my fitst time in this axle, just my first time measuring everything and trying to do it right.

20220220_102314.jpg

20220220_102501.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom