Waking Up the LandSnoozer - A Run-of-the-Mill LS Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Putting together a build thread for my recently-acquired 1988 FJ62. PO did a SOA lift, 4.88 gears and 37 inch tires. With all of that, the vehicle can barely get out of its own way. Given it's turtle-like speed, I dubbed it the LandSnoozer.

To wake up the LandSnoozer, I'm doing a run-of-the-mill LS swap. The biggest challenge is that I live in subdivision and will be doing my best to avoid getting a love note from the HOA.

Some quick credits - I was inspired by @dbbowen's thread, @Dubs2017's thread, and the many other excellent threads on this forum (thanks Mud Community). And I'm particularly grateful for the tech advice and parts from @cruisermatt.

IMG_6184 3.JPG

I've already learned there are some differences in an LS swap for a 60 and a 62 - first difference, you can use the stock transmission crossmember with a 62. Second, if you do use the stock transmission crossmember, you may not be able to use the locating bolt feature on WellSorted's mounts (still investigating this; will update with results). Not bashing their mounts in any way (they're great mounts); just passing along information I've learned.

Also, to use the stock transmission crossmember, you have to drill/tap new holes in the AA adapter.

Last edited:
OK. Couple of questions...

What is this (not the parking brake cable; the rod that runs to the rear axle)?

IMG_6363.JPG

And where do I measure for the trans mount placement on the AA adapter?
• Red line to yellow (trans mount centerline)?
• Green line to yellow?
• Something else?

IMG_6366.jpg

Edit:
Ended up measuring red line (transfer case face) to yellow (centerline of transmission mount bolts) - just shy of 2.5 inches.

IMG_6374.JPG

@cruisermatt @Dubs2017 Do these marks look about right?
IMG_6376.JPG

Last edited:
Last post today...looks like there will be carnage in the transfer case. Those are metal shavings from the drain plug. Ugh.

IMG_6361.JPG

Brake contraption is the load sensing proportional valve. Can be removed. Read on Mud.

Heck yeah man, thats going to be a bad ass truck, the fender flares are sweet. Ceylonfj40nut is right, the Load sensing proportioning valve can be removed. You can put a willwood adjustable one in line and lose the rod thing. With the measurements, what are you trying to measure?

With the measurements, what are you trying to measure?
In order to use the stock transmission crossmember I have to relocate the transmission mount on the AA adapter (the existing mount holes won't locate the transfer case in the stock location). I believe I have to move the mount position forward a little bit and am just trying to figure out which fixed point I should use to get the right measurement.

Here's my crude drawing in which Y=X. I wasn't aware there was already an adapter between the A440 and the transfer case, so that kind of threw me.

Diagram.jpg

Might be a good idea to get the whole driveline in on the motor mounts then start measuring for placement of the crossmember

Might be a good idea to get the whole driveline in on the motor mounts then start measuring for placement of the crossmember

I have been recommending the opposite for FJ62’s. The stock crossmember and mount work perfectly where they are and out the engine in the perfect spot in the engine bay.
Which is where I designed my mount kit so sit, and shifter brackets to work etc

Looking good! Following along for sure. Your new motor looks very clean. Good find.

And when you are searching for the load sensing proportioning valve reading, try using LSPV as the search term as well. Lot's of discussions would be missed searching the words instead of the acronym.

Your drawing looks correct to me, based on my understanding from Matt. X needs to be as close to Y as possible. Basically as far back on the AA piece as possible.

I will be drilling and tapping my adapter today, so will let you know how it goes.

Started disassembling the T-case today. Looks like the carnage was minimal - a shim from the output housing got chewed up by the speedometer gear. I'm a bit worried because the bearing race just fell out of the rear output shaft housing. That seems not right. Speedometer gear looks OK.

IMG_6377.JPG

Last edited:
Last post for today... this shield/sleeve is on my rear output shaft on my 4l60e. How do I remove it? Just pull? Press it off? Cut it off?
IMG_6372.JPG

Edit: answered my own question - three jaw puller

Last edited:
OK. Couple of questions...

What is this (not the parking brake cable; the rod that runs to the rear axle)?

View attachment 3072501

And where do I measure for the trans mount placement on the AA adapter?
• Red line to yellow (trans mount centerline)?
• Green line to yellow?
• Something else?

View attachment 3072506

Edit:
Ended up measuring red line (transfer case face) to yellow (centerline of transmission mount bolts) - just shy of 2.5 inches.

View attachment 3074401

@cruisermatt @Dubs2017 Do these marks look about right?
View attachment 3074399
Looks correct to me. I got one drilled and tapped yesterday with helicoil per Matt's suggestion.

IMG_1737 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1781 Medium.jpeg

Great looking ride. Good luck with project.
Do you know where those fender flares came from?

Great looking ride. Good luck with project.
Do you know where those fender flares came from?
Thanks. I wish I did because people ask me about them all the time. Unfortunately, they came with the rig when I bought it and I don't know much about where they came from. Sorry.

Likewise. Point me towards your build thread if you have one. Would love to see how your rig turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom