Waking Up the LandSnoozer - A Run-of-the-Mill LS Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A couple more pics for measurements (@Dubs2017).

Looks like the mounts were 13" give or take. I didn't plan it that way, though. Per Matt's recco, I bolted the trans crossmember in to ensure proper placement of the xfer case, and then tacked the motor mounts in wherever they landed.
IMG_6457.JPG

Here's shot of the back of the engine and firewall looks like about 1.5 inches to the passenger head.
IMG_6458.JPG

Not sure what to do with this mess down here as it's all pretty close to the exhaust (don't judge my welds)
IMG_6459.JPG

@cruisermatt Clearance is super tight on the front drive shaft - like 1/4" between yoke and trans pan and maybe 3/8" between front drive shaft and pan side - any concerns here? Should I look at the Novak Pan?

Blurry pic, but the rusty blob on the bottom is the front yoke and silver curve is the transmission pan edge (rear passenger corner) and the distance is 1/4" at best.
IMG_6461.JPG

Front drive shaft and transmission pan (fingers for scale)
IMG_6462.JPG

Your issue will be driveshaft clearance when you get to the exhaust crossover under the bellhousing - but with your SOA it should be fine.

I keep getting mixed up between yours and @Dubs2017 threads ! :)

Great progress. What is your shroud plan?

I just took a summit diy kit out of the box and am not impressed. Thinking I might have a shop bend up a box for me. Curious which direction you’re going.

Keep coming to the monthly meetings! I think I met you at one of them a few months ago.

I'm also interested in your shroud plan. For a 60 style radiator, contour fans are hard to beat, but if you want to run a mechanical fan, custom fab is the way to go for a conversion style shroud. I have some tools that can help make parts to make the shroud.

Hth.

Great progress. What is your shroud plan?

I just took a summit diy kit out of the box and am not impressed. Thinking I might have a shop bend up a box for me. Curious which direction you’re going.
I'm going to attempt to reuse my stock radiator with a mechanical fan. The original fan shroud won't work with that, so I'll probably go with a summit DIY kit. I only found two DIY shroud kits at Summit that come close to fitting the 16"-ish radiator height and neither has mounting provisions on the sides, so I'll probably go with the narrower one and fab up some side brackets.

Keep coming to the monthly meetings! I think I met you at one of them a few months ago.

I'm also interested in your shroud plan. For a 60 style radiator, contour fans are hard to beat, but if you want to run a mechanical fan, custom fab is the way to go for a conversion style shroud. I have some tools that can help make parts to make the shroud.

Hth.
Yes, I need to get back to the monthly meeting. I seem to always have a work conflict, but one of these days.

I’m going to give the shroud a shot on my own, but may need your help if it turns out looking like doodoo.

Last edited:
Finally getting back to work on my swap, and I have questions. Hoping the world of Mud can set me straight.

1. Where does this line go? What does it do? It passes through the passenger side firewall and looks like some kind of vacuum line. Is it for HVAC?
IMG_6563.JPG

2. Is this the source vacuum for the transfer case? It's on the driver side of the firewall.
IMG_6564.JPG

3. Fuel line question - the return hard line going to the tank is 1/4" OD. Is that right? Seems kind of small.

First picture is vent filter inside cab for the old distributor not needed cap it off. Second is vacuum line for the 4wd solenoids that are mounted to the fire wall should be able to verify by following that vacuum line back to them. And no it's not the return for fuel tank.

No vent for the charcoal canister is on passenger side along with fuel supply and return line

No vent for the charcoal canister is on passenger side along with fuel supply and return line
Yeah. That's where this line was running - along passenger side frame rail. It was "bundled" with the supply line. There's a third line that runs along the passenger frame rail, but ran separately. I guess that one is the return. I'll get a pick in the AM.

Return was 1/4".
OK. So I'm not crazy, then.

My donor LS is from a 2006 Yukon and it has a return-less intake/fuel rail. So I'm pulling the steel lines and running a corvette filter/regulator and then rubber AN line up to the intake.

BTW, how are you going to run your vacuum lines for the xfer case? Mine seem to interfere with the exhaust manifold.

My donor LS is from a 2006 Yukon and it has a return-less intake/fuel rail. So I'm pulling the steel lines and running a corvette filter/regulator and then rubber AN line up to the intake.

BTW, how are you going to run your vacuum lines for the xfer case? Mine seem to interfere with the exhaust manifold.
Twin stick it ;)

I think I have shortened the two big rubber hoses to the t-case and moved that hardline junction back a few bolt hole positions on the frame.

Putting twin sticks in a vacuum shift case is a total waste of time - Toyota already did it for you

I like Matt's idea above. I gently bent my lines a bit, and they don't hit my manifold. Still a little too close to heat for comfort, so I'll try moving them back like Matt suggested as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom