Vortec Swap - Pin Out Sheets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have received many requests for this sheet. Probably should have done this long ago. These two images will help those taking on this swap to pinout the IH1 and IH2 connectors that are located behind the glovebox and serve as the main connection to the vehicle harness and vortec harness. My swap was done on a 1994 80 series which uses a separate computer to control the transmission. The later 80s had the TCU built into the engine ECM so they won't have the 3rd plug (IH3). The IH3 is pretty much eliminated on those vehicles that have it unless you want to add in the gear indicator on the dash.

**please note these images apply to the '93/'94 model year trucks**

To help interpret colors, i used the same method as used in the Toyota EWD. Example: 'R - G' would be red with green tracer.

IH1:

IH2:

When I did my swap I relied heavily on the Vortec ecm diagram that is posted on E38 ECM Connector Pinouts - https://lt1swap.com/E38%20ECM%20Connector%20Pinouts.htm

Enjoy!

Last edited:
thanks man, added this to my massive list of bookmarked genIII swap info.

Just to avoid confusion for people it may matter to, these pinout charts aren't entirely accurate for all 80-series.

I don't know about later model LCs, but I know for a fact that my 97 LX body has significant differences. One inconsequential difference is that the equivalent connectors on a LX450 are actually IL1 and IL2.. this was the source of confusion using the factory EWD when I first started my project.

I have direct experience with a 97LX450, and my diagrams are for a 96LX450, so I can say with at least a little bit of confidence that these specific models are different than the 94 LC. Unsure whether 96-97 LC is the same as mine, or as the 94 stuff shown above.

That said.. I'll list the differences per my charts:

IH1/IL1
Pin 4 White/black Ground for noise filter
Pin 7 Red/black Gear "R" indicator lamp in cluster
Pin 8 Green CDL motor power (polarity depends on lock or unlock)
Pin 9 Green/Yellow CDL actuator switch
Pin 10 Green/Red CDL motor power

IH2/IL2
Pin 3 orange (chassis side of connector. Engine/trans side is Green/red) Gear "2" indicator lamp in cluster
Pin 11 Orange 2nd start switch in console
Pin 12 Red/White 2nd start lamp in cluster
Pin 15 Green/red S2 trans solenoid signal to cruise ECU
Pin 17 Green/Yellow AC water temp cutout switch (triggers the AC temp cut relay)

Not all of these are needed for a vortec swap.. but for instance if IH2 pin 17 isn't accounted for (unused on a 94LC) your AC compressor won't engage and I could see it being interesting troubleshooting this.

Anyway.. hope this helps someone out.

Good call. My rig was a 94 so the pin out I posted applies to the '93/'94 model year. These had the separate tcu and a 3rd connector in this harness. The '95 and up deleted the external tcu and connector. Wire colors are different as well. Anyone taking on the later model year swap will have to study the applicable EWD and match up the pins.

I didn't even think about wire colors.. but yes, on my Lexus even the circuits that were there for the same purpose had different color schemes in some cases.

The moral to this is anyone doing this swap should get appropriate wiring diagrams and invest the time in learning how to read them. *info posted here is for informational purposes only and if your rig burns to the ground it isn't my fault.

Or something.

im digging through the 97 lx450 ewd's.... I still need to 100% confirm these but about a 95% confidence level

As you can tell there is a significant difference in pin out!
IL1 Pin Out.PNG

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 9.44.12 PM.png

IL2 Pin out.PNG

Last edited:
updated my post with repairs to IL1 and Added IL2
that should cover off 1997 LX450's pretty good :D, ill be ready to start de pinning and splicing harnesses together soon

Folks, is the best way to merge the systems, to cut a pigtail off the old engine harness ?

Seems straight forward to leave the wires not needed, and connect the ones needed. But seems a shame to butcher the old harness.

Am I missing something ?

well im being lazy on the GM side and having a custom made harness, however on the lexus side ill be de pinning and removing wires completely that are unneccesary, Ill also be keeping a document to help trouble my problems later lol

its not like ill be swapping a 4.5 back in lol

all you need to keep from the toyota harness is the part that goes to the t case sensors which ends at the EC1 connector. So, on the engine, you'll need EC1, datalink if you want to troubleshoot ABS/Airbags, start wire from PN switch on toyota trans and depending on how you are doing the fuel pump, the EFI wire. Everything else is taken under dash or on the body harness.

e7 pinouts for 95-97 Impending Vortec Swap

I haven't completely done mine, but another mudder got his to start this weekend (before vats killed it) following a similar recipe. here are my integration connections to make it run.... Impending Vortec Swap

You also need to run a fuse block on the GM side, which most "Custom" harnesses come with, but you'll still need constant or switch power to that which usually goes to a relay on their cheesy fuse block which in turn puts power to the fuses then power on the GM harness.

im running a team 208 motorsports harness, as Josh is amazing and I trust his work 100%

Wiring

These two images will help those taking on this swap to pinout the IH1 and IH2 connectors that are located behind the glovebox and serve as the main connection to the vehicle harness and vortec harness.

I am sorry if this is a dumb question. But multiple wires from IH1 and IH2 run to EC1 do I need a pin out for EC1 ?

My swap was done on a 1994 80 series which uses a separate computer to control the transmission. The later 80s had the TCU built into the engine ECM so they won't have the 3rd plug (IH3). The IH3 is pretty much eliminated on those vehicles that have it unless you want to add in the gear indicator on the dash.

So does this say the '94's also need a pin out for IH3 ?

I realize this is a basic question, but can somebody help me connect the dots?

My harness has a wire labeled "solenoid to key". Rockrod's pinout has, pin 14 to solenoid. Does that mean the solenoid has two wires, one from the ignition, and one to the harness ?

Fuel pump same question. A wire on the harness labeled "fuel pump feed", and a pin 22 labeled fuel pump relay

Two wires to the fuel pump one from the harness, one from the ignition?

How is harness connected to ignition to the device ?

Back up, did you make your own harness? What about a fuse block?

I believe the solenoid rockrod is talking about is to the starter. That system can completely stand alone if you will.

Fuel pump needs a constant power source, your "fuel pump feed." If you have a relay for the fuel pump in your fuse block, you'll want to connect to the GM PCM, "green" connector, pin 9. This will turn the fuel pump on for a couple second when you turn the key to on and then off. And also control it when it cranks.

Yup, had a harness made.
Has a fuse box

The fellow that did the harness labeled these wires, now trying to connect.

You might want to give him a call. There are a lot of ways to skin a cat....and he's the only one who knows what he did.

Can anybody help me connect an OEM oil pressure sensor to the dash.

Seems I've seen comments in passing that the connector is picked up in the harness behind the air filter box.

Any suggestions how to find the right pin ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom