Builds URJ150 Peridot Prado Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still haven’t verified if the wiper will transfer over - but I can see now that everything is apart - the upper hole configurations are not identical. The Prado is missing an oval hole vs the GX (but had an extra round hole)… so jury is out on that.
So cool! Looks like the wiper wiring *should* still fit in the Prado round holes?

Regarding the missing hole on the Prado door, if it's just an access port for cables, a drill and grommet and you should be good!
Just don't forget the grommet so you don't wear/cut through your cables.

For me - it’s never been something I’ve used. Maybe I just never formed the habit, but I can count on one hand how many times it’s been opened.
Lol, I actually forgot about it myself. During my first camping trip I was struggling to reach something inside the back with the door open a little bit (without hitting the camper jack) when I had the epiphany that the glass opens! The rest of the trip I used it a lot.

Lol, I actually forgot about it myself. During my first camping trip I was struggling to reach something inside the back with the door open a little bit (without hitting the camper jack) when I had the epiphany that the glass opens! The rest of the trip I used it a lot.

yeah … I use my flip up window all the time. Even if you can’t fully open with a tire mount that small rad rubber window device could be leveraged for vent purposes as you can get a model that only opens it 1-2 inches.

Now you all are just making Urj150 unhappy about his new door... 😁

Now you all are just making Urj150 unhappy about his new door... 😁
Hey, if you want to go with oversize tires, having a spare on the door sounds much better than any of the alternatives I have seen. Might be worth not having operable glass. Heck, all the 470 guys are in that boat already.

Noooo - I’m not upset AT ALL.

Like I said, it’s all about what you value more and making decisions based on that. I’m currently driving my GX470 while the rear door is being fitted and guess what - haven’t missed the opening glass one bit! 😆

Regardless, hopefully we make some progress this week and I have more news to report!

I think the operable rear glass, while a nice feature, is overrated. I'm probably not going to drive with it open, I'm not going to carry lumber, and as a matter of fact I have never opened mine. The rear door provides much better access for my purposes.

I like the spare tire where I don't have to climb in mud to get it. Just my opinion.

I’ve used it twice in about a year, however I could see it’s usefulness so I’m glad I have it.

I've used mine a couple times for surfboards. I open up my swing-out spare, open the window and close the swing-out again. I just can't open the window with the swing-out in place. I don't have a rack on top of my RTT to put surfboards, lumber, etc. up there.

All of the downsides could be eliminated if they just did an electric roll-down window like the 4Runner haha. :cool:
It’s really the thing I miss most from my T4R.

Well. We had ourselves a day (or a week, really). Please, pardon our dust. 😆

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg
IMG_0328.jpg
IMG_0329.jpg

So, everything went... smooth. Not 100% done, but pretty close.

The hinges all bolted on, the shock bolted on, the wiper bolted on (yay!), the rear window was installed by the glass guys without issue. The only odd thing was the GX has the defrost wiring in the top (so it can move with the glass hinge) whereas the Prado has it in the bottom - so wiring had to be extended for that and the plugs had to be swapped since they were different.

I'm also still messing with the spoiler a bit. There seems to be too large of a gap where it meets the roof. For a second I thought maybe the Prado spoiler was different due to the GX pop open glass. But the more I dig into it - it doesn't seem to be the case. So we might have to revisit the spoiler install.

Only thing left to do is fish out a dropped wire in the interior for the door sensor (d'oh) and replace the interior panels. Jury is still out on the interior panels, but I will report more as I know.

BONUS TIME!
We also got the Gamiviti Roof Rack on (thanks to Tim @nakman for everything) along with light bar. Customer service, quality product, responding to annoying e-mails - the works!

IMG_0320.jpg
IMG_0322.jpg

Install was smooth. Looks awesome. I ordered a couple different switches, and I'm glad I did. One was DOA (I've heard this before) so I was chasing down what I thought was wiring issues for too long before I tried the other switch, and viola. I should mention, Gamiviti DOES include a switch that worked just fine - I just bought the "OEM style" and those are hit or miss. That said, final product is great.

Got a few more things to do and we're out of the shop and back on the road!

View attachment 2731705

View attachment 2731707View attachment 2731708View attachment 2731709

The hinges all bolted on, the shock bolted on, the wiper bolted on (yay!), the rear window was installed by the glass guys without issue. The only odd thing was the GX has the defrost wiring in the top (so it can move with the glass hinge) whereas the Prado has it in the bottom - so wiring had to be extended for that and the plugs had to be swapped since they were different.

I'm also still messing with the spoiler a bit. There seems to be too large of a gap where it meets the roof. For a second I thought maybe the Prado spoiler was different due to the GX pop open glass. But the more I dig into it - it doesn't seem to be the case. So we might have to revisit the spoiler install.

Only thing left to do is fish out a dropped wire in the interior for the door sensor (d'oh) and replace the interior panels. Jury is still out on the interior panels, but I will report more as I know.

BONUS TIME!
We also got the Gamiviti Roof Rack on (thanks to Tim @nakman for everything) along with light bar. Customer service, quality product, responding to annoying e-mails - the works!

View attachment 2731713View attachment 2731714
Install was smooth. Looks awesome. I ordered a couple different switches, and I'm glad I did. One was DOA (I've heard this before) so I was chasing down what I thought was wiring issues for too long before I tried the other switch, and viola. I should mention, Gamiviti DOES include a switch that worked just fine - I just bought the "OEM style" and those are hit or miss. That said, final product is great.

Awesome!! Can I see what the door looks like without the wheel? I’m curious to see how it’s mounted. How strong do you think it is?

Awesome!! Can I see what the door looks like without the wheel? I’m curious to see how it’s mounted. How strong do you think it is?
IMG_0145.jpg

Best I can do.

This door uses the same hinges as our OEM door - same shock as well. I didn't snap any pics, but if you look at your door - it's IDENTICAL. 🙃

It seems strong. Doesn't struggle, holds itself open. Seems good. 🤷‍♂️

The Aussies have been running these rear doors with 33s and even 35s for years. I trust it!

View attachment 2731705

View attachment 2731707View attachment 2731708View attachment 2731709

BONUS TIME!

View attachment 2731713View attachment 2731714

Wow! That really is looking good! Also, I love my Gamiviti rack!
So... is the next mod to swap out to right hand drive? 🤔 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom