Builds URJ150 Peridot Prado Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys!

I’ve been poking around for a bit and decided to finally start a thread on the build as it's starting to move in the right direction.

The genesis of this project is rooted in my 2015 4Runner Trail being totaled. :confused:

After insurance told me what the check would be, I immediately started shopping. At first I was set to replace the T4R with another T4R, but prices, were, well, insane. The flip side of that coin was, the check insurance cut me would cover the two years left on the T4R note AND the cost of my 2010 GX460. At the time, the T4R had 94K on it and the GX I ended up with had 107K. I got lucky and found a Peridot Green / Ecru Premium model in Northern California, maintained all it's life at the dealer, with no rust at all. I ended up having a friend with a local shop inspect / take delivery, then ship it out to me here in Michigan. Although I love the truck and the amenities it has over the 4Runner, I do miss the aesthetics of Toyota, which set me down the path of Prado conversions.

GX Stock_02.JPG

Here's a photo I snapped after adding the 4Runner 5th Gen roof rack in otherwise stock form.

Moving forward, the "to do" list is a big long. But first stop is a big one - Prado 150 Conversion (the latest 2018+ fascia).

If I'm being perfectly honest, the only thing I don't love about the GX is the fascia. I also fell in love with the Prado rear lamps. So with those two things in mind, I set out to do a Prado 150 facelift.

I had originally followed @GreenbowCounty 's build and after messaging back and forth, we both agreed a full kit was a far better route than buying it piece by piece. So what I ended up sourcing is a COMPLETE conversion; front bumper, fenders, hood, rear bumper, license plate trim, head lamps, tail lamps, fog lamps and all associated brackets, hinges and trim - this kit is impressively complete. The downside is - the cost of shipping was a bit excessive and really, I wasn't sure how the quality would be. Luckily, I was able to arrange sea freight (I do a fair amount of importing for work) and once the kit arrived (took about 45 days) the quality turned out to be pretty good! It required a bit of prep work (the bumpers weren't primed) and the hood and fenders had a few bumps from shipping - but nothing a body shop couldn't work out in a couple days.

I'm hoping to have pics here in the coming days, so stay tuned! :beer:

Last edited:
I got lucky and found a Peridot Green / Ecru in Northern California maintained all it's life at the dealer, with no rust at all.
Well so much for it being "rust free"! with where you live! Ha-ha!! o_O

Last edited:
Just swung by the shop as they were wrapping up paint.

Can't say enough about this color. I always loved the Toyota Army Green - but this is a step above. 🤤
Hood_01.JPG
Hood_10.JPG
Front Bumper_01.JPG
Fenders_01.JPG
Rear Bumper_02.JPG

I see you have a '10 Premium... to keep the AFS errors away you are probably going to need some piece of the swivel electronics connected.

Headlights will likely be statically positioned?

I haven't see a load leveling retrofit with '14+ LED headlights on a 10-13 (AFS HID) model.

So in addition to the Prado conversion, I decided to knock out the MetalTech Body Mount Chop and install a set of RSG 20 degree sliders at the same time. I ordered the RSG sliders uncoated and had my local powdercoater do them in a textured black he uses. Turned out great. Install was straight forward and we trimmed the OEM steps to finish it out. I might take off a bit more once it's on the ground. We'll see. The one thing I noticed was; the KDSS shield didn't have to be trimmed to fit. The only catch was, it installed OVER the RSG mounting plate, meaning, if I ever needed to remove the sliders - the KDSS cover would have to come off first. Not sure if that could pose a problem if the rail make contact with something and the KDSS cover pops off - but I assume in that case, I'll have bigger worries.

RSG Rails_01.JPG
RSG Rails_02.JPG

I have a set of wheels/tires at home (managed to salvage the 285/70/17 Pirelli Scorpions off the 4Runner) waiting to go on, so I figured best to get the BMC done while it was there.

I see you have a '10 Premium... to keep the AFS errors away you are probably going to need some piece of the swivel electronics connected.

Headlights will likely be statically positioned?

I haven't see a load leveling retrofit with '14+ LED headlights on a 10-13 (AFS HID) model.

Yeah - 2010 Premium.

Good foresight in regards to the AFS errors. I didn't plan on trying to retro fit it - and to be honest - I don't know if the Prado lamps support AFS (I believe OEM do, I'm not 100% if these aftermarket lamps have it). I'll probably take a look at that tomorrow. If there's not an apparent solution, I'd probably go down the path of either popping the fuse out, or just removing the AFS ECU altogether just to eliminate the dash light. I don't think I'd miss it tremendously and could definitely live with static position. I also assume I would have to revisit this when deleting the airbags / lifting / slapping new wheel and tires on it? Might be easier to just cut the cord (figuratively, not literally) right now and not have to think
about it again.

That said, I am expecting some wiring needed for the head and tail lamps. @GreenbowCounty mentioned some additional puddle lamps up front and extended wiring in the rear. So as we bump up against these - we’ll figure them out.

Last edited:
Unfortunately removal of that ECU will cause error as well. It will show up on the center gauge display. There was a GXOR member who did a 14+ retrofit and just gutted the stock housing of necessary connections to prevent errors. You may want to reach out there when you get to that point. I don’t recall specific wiring needed.

To avoid AFS and suspension error messages on display keep compressor and ride height sensors attached on rear... some use washers to accommodate lift with the sensors. Removal of bags and AVS shocks won’t light up anything on dash.

Most of the ways to cancel errors on 470s like pulling fuses and relays don’t work on 460 and just cause further errors.

I notched the KDSS cover when I installed the RSG sliders, it was pretty easy with a 6" grinder wheel. Love the color and looking forward to seeing the final results on the conversion.

Unfortunately removal of that ECU will cause error as well. It will show up on the center gauge display. There was a GXOR member who did a 14+ retrofit and just gutted the stock housing of necessary connections to prevent errors. You may want to reach out there when you get to that point. I don’t recall specific wiring needed.

To avoid AFS and suspension error messages on display keep compressor and ride height sensors attached on rear... some use washers to accommodate lift with the sensors. Removal of bags and AVS shocks won’t light up anything on dash.

Most of the ways to cancel errors on 470s like pulling fuses and relays don’t work on 460 and just cause further errors.

Roger that. I’ll get the multimeter ready and start poking around. Maybe even a resistor will solve the issue at the source? Again, we’ll figure it out.

I notched the KDSS cover when I installed the RSG sliders, it was pretty easy with a 6" grinder wheel. Love the color and looking forward to seeing the final results on the conversion.

I was all for and expecting this as well. But the cover seems to... fit? I will snap some more photos tomorrow.

So the AFS *is* going to be the last hurdle I'm going to have to clear. We're about to have this buttoned up and the AFS light is not happy.

I've read some threads on 2010-2013s upgrading to 2014+ lamps and retrofitting the AFS. However, I'm probably going to go a different route and scrap it. I'm not going to miss it and would rather not have the warning, so I think resistors are in my future. Not sure if there's any way to disable the AFS via TechStream... I doubt it, but the thought crossed my mind.

IMG_9885.JPG
IMG_9887.JPG
IMG_9889.JPG

Pardon the dust!

I've been driving with my AFS light flashing for the pasts couple of years. Don't even notice it now.
I think I need to replace the sensor in the rear since all my tinkering with different length connecting rods proved not to work.
Some day I'll fix it, but it's pretty low on the to-do list.

I've been driving with my AFS light flashing for the pasts couple of years. Don't even notice it now.
I think I need to replace the sensor in the rear since all my tinkering with different length connecting rods proved not to work.
Some day I'll fix it, but it's pretty low on the to-do list.
If I figure out a simple solution - I’ll let you know.

...which is to say, a piece of electrical tape may be in your future. ;)

Reactions: r2m
FYI: I’ve never seen anything in Techstream to allow the disabling of AFS. Most who have retrofit seem to connect the old ECU from HIDs and integrate with LEDs.

Details are few and far between

Here is a recent facelift mod that did the headlights

FYI: I’ve never seen anything in Techstream to allow the disabling of AFS. Most who have retrofit seem to connect the old ECU from HIDs and integrate with LEDs.

Details are few and far between

Here is a recent facelift mod that did the headlights

YES! I saw his post and have been following it. I'll probably reach out if I get stuck-stuck.

There was another guy on CL from a few years earlier that had posted a lot of good info, but he's been MIA since 2018.

The other consideration is cost/benefit. If I can salvage a few hundred bucks out of my OEM headlamps - I'd rather do that then dissect them for a feature I wouldn't even really want. Just seems like an expensive way to solve the issue.

Thank you! I ended up grabbing that from AllData as well.

In fact - toyotamanuals.com.au also had the Prado light wiring harnesses - so I'm going to try and mash these up and see what I can figure out.

Last edited:
I am so excited for this build as this is what I want to do to mine? Could you share where you got it from and rough costs? Maybe if enough people are interested here, people could split shipping. My end goal is something like this below

View attachment 2595775

Oh yeah! That's great!

I opted for the full Toyota badging - but the L looks right at home there! I've seen a couple other cool grilles with the oval, so your options are wide open.

So I managed to get the parts from the Middle East through a supplier. I don't have a link, but I can tell you the kit was around $1500 and shipping was around $2000. If there were more people, the shipping could be DRASTICALLY reduced. I'm thinking as low as $500-$600 (don't quote me) since a full container is only in the $4000 range (it fluctuates, but, yeah). Maybe even the price of the parts would drop in bulk. Not sure.

I should say - as impressive and complete the kit is - it's not 100%. There were a few items I needed to source and I'm still in the process of doing so. I'll compile a full list once I'm driving it so there are minimal surprises for anyone else considering taking the dive. Right now, I'm at about $250 additional in parts. Although OEM could be modified in a pinch.

I have a lot on the to-do list; suspension, GROM CarPlay, blacking out some trim, roof rack - but I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 5th wheel rear door. The same supplier has a "OEM" 5th wheel rear door kit - and if the quality is on par with the rest of their stuff - should be nice. It takes about 45 days to arrive, so I'm thinking I will order now so in a couple months I can dive back in. The body shop has been great - but I know they're sick of working on this truck and looking at my face. ;)

Oh yeah! That's great!

I opted for the full Toyota badging - but the L looks right at home there! I've seen a couple other cool grilles with the oval, so your options are wide open.

So I managed to get the parts from the Middle East through a supplier. I don't have a link, but I can tell you the kit was around $1500 and shipping was around $2000. If there were more people, the shipping could be DRASTICALLY reduced. I'm thinking as low as $500-$600 (don't quote me) since a full container is only in the $4000 range (it fluctuates, but, yeah). Maybe even the price of the parts would drop in bulk. Not sure.

I should say - as impressive and complete the kit is - it's not 100%. There were a few items I needed to source and I'm still in the process of doing so. I'll compile a full list once I'm driving it so there are minimal surprises for anyone else considering taking the dive. Right now, I'm at about $250 additional in parts. Although OEM could be modified in a pinch.

I have a lot on the to-do list; suspension, GROM CarPlay, blacking out some trim, roof rack - but I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 5th wheel rear door. The same supplier has a "OEM" 5th wheel rear door kit - and if the quality is on par with the rest of their stuff - should be nice. It takes about 45 days to arrive, so I'm thinking I will order now so in a couple months I can dive back in. The body shop has been great - but I know they're sick of working on this truck and looking at my face. ;)
Wow, that's a lot more than I was thinking for shipping. I am not sure getting from a place like Guatemala would be cheaper since they have the prado as well. As for the rear door, if you are up to it, I am sure plenty of gx460 and gx470 owners would want one and split shipping. Very excited to see your build! Now I need to figure out a reason to tell my wife why this is necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom