Builds URJ150 Peridot Prado Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 2703938View attachment 2703940View attachment 2703943View attachment 2703944View attachment 2703946
Operation Blackout is a success. No more chrome is a glorious thing. Even made me reconsider deleting the door trim altogether. 🤔

Ended up going with vinyl wrap instead of swapping handles. I just don’t have the time to pull off the interior door trim - plus there was a question of maintaining the auto-unlock with the 4Runner handles. Who knows, maybe I’ll give it a shot down the line.

In other news - the 5th Wheel Rear Door arrived and the #Gamiviti roof rack is due at the power coater later this month. I also have StopTech rotors/pads/lines/fluid en route.

This summer should be fun!
I want to see this door!!!!

The door trim is mostly to help avoid door dings in parking lots. With your sliders, they may be wide enough to mitigate that.
But you will need to do some hole filling if you take off that side molding.

The door trim is mostly to help avoid door dings in parking lots. With your sliders, they may be wide enough to mitigate that.
But you will need to do some hole filling if you take off that side molding.
I know, I know. I have very irrational negative feeling towards the trim. I feel it takes away from how wide the rear fenders are and just looks, blah. However, the cost and the risk with rust down the line might make me just say the chrome delete ‘good enough’.

Reactions: r2m
I want to see this door!!!!
E1E342F1-777A-46C0-BFCA-758E0D343B9C.jpeg
5002316F-06D0-4BD5-ABAA-7F12B256AF9E.jpeg
EF30B6CA-4116-4D36-A60E-970ABE4613D9.jpeg

313A2F79-52DD-4966-9CFF-9D7E0C2AD461.jpeg

DFA20979-2D88-4CBA-A65F-96E248F1330E.jpeg

Well. There you have it.

Everything showed up in one piece (I was most worried about the glass) and seems complete!

It looks to be a straight swap - so hopefully it’ll just be a matter of moving over components. I am also crossing my fingers that I can reuse the interior parts from my car since I’m sepia/ecru.

Trying to find time for final test fit and paint.

Last edited:
View attachment 2705745View attachment 2705746View attachment 2705747
View attachment 2705748
View attachment 2705755

Well. There you have it.

Everything showed up in one piece (I was most worried about the glass) and seems complete!

It looks to be a straight swap - so hopefully it’ll just be a matter of moving over components. I am also crossing my fingers that I can reuse the interior parts from my car since I’m sepia/ecru.
🤞

Trying to find time for final test fit and paint.
I know I replied to another thread but this is the beginning of a new era.

Just a quick aside - I plasti-dipped the emblems. The ‘Land Cruiser Prado’ and Toyota emblem come in chrome like OEM.

I also had a thought about finding a guy to 3D print replacements for the 'Land Cruiser Prado' badge (it's removable) to get it Lexus branded; 'LEXUS GX460' would probably fit pretty well in there... and of course, sourcing a (L) emblem would just be a matter of sizing it up right since there's no pins to worry about.

Last edited:
Wonder how large a tire will fit on that rear door? Both size and weight??

Wonder how large a tire will fit on that rear door? Both size and weight??
33s for sure bolt on. Everyone in Japan and Australia does it no problem. A 35 will fit, although it requires a spacer.

After that, I assume you start making contact with the rear bumper - but I’m sure Aussies would have more input on this.

33s for sure bolt on. Everyone in Japan and Australia does it no problem. A 35 will fit, although it requires a spacer.

After that, I assume you start making contact with the rear bumper - but I’m sure Aussies would have more input on this.
Wonder if anything larger than a 35" would start tearing the mount off the door? Especially on washboard roads!
Not sure I'd even want to do washboards with a 35". Even with my steel bumpers, I feel like I'm tearing my rig apart on those roads.

Wonder if anything larger than a 35" would start tearing the mount off the door? Especially on washboard roads!
Not sure I'd even want to do washboards with a 35". Even with my steel bumpers, I feel like I'm tearing my rig apart on those roads.

Who knows. I guess it depends more on factors such as wheel/tire weight (a Volk wheel weighs substantially less than a Fuel Off Road). But I'm sure reinforcements are possible if it comes down to it. But I think you'd have more issues with contact with the rear bumper - unless you clearance it (or space it out far enough). But as said, there's LOTS of guys running 33s and fewer, but still no small number of guys running 35s.

There's a guy on YouTube in Australia that runs 35s and doesn't seem to take it easy. Aaron Offroader is his name.

There's also the DustyRoad build that runs 33s in all sorts of adverse conditions and doesn't seem to have an issue:

custom-dusty-toyota-landcruiser-prado-150-off-road-drive-jpg.2576083

More info here:

It's all just one more hurdle I guess. But at least this door should be good for the masses running 35s or smaller. 👍

Just dropped the truck off at the body shop today! 🙌

They’re busy - but should be able to wrap it up in a week - as long as things go well. 🤞

I know for sure the rear window loses the open/close function. The new glass is just glued into place - and couldn’t open with a wheel/tire in the way anyhow.

I haven’t seen any Prados with rear wipers and it doesn’t seem like the provisions are at the top of the door for it. So that might be going as well. However, I’m counting on the rear spoiler to fit, all the 150s I’ve seen *seem* to have the same rear spoilers.

Im hoping the stock interior panels from the GX swap over. I have replacements - but I’d prefer to stick with the two tone OEM look.

Other than that - it’s really looking straight forward. The hinges are the same on both the flat back and 5th wheel, as are the handle, lock/unlock buttons, shock and latches. So from a pure functionality standpoint - we should be a-ok.

I’ll update as I can / get more info.

As an Aussie expat that grew up around Prados, this thread is bloody brilliant - bravo.

Subbed.

Just wait until you see the Vegemite and TimTams in the glove box! 😆

After several trips down under, could never get my head around Vegemite (or in my mouth). :vomit:
But loved everything else about it!

I know for sure the rear window loses the open/close function. The new glass is just glued into place - and couldn’t open with a wheel/tire in the way anyhow.

I haven’t seen any Prados with rear wipers and it doesn’t seem like the provisions are at the top of the door for it. So that might be going as well. However, I’m counting on the rear spoiler to fit, all the 150s I’ve seen *seem* to have the same rear spoilers.
That's disappointing. I could live very easily without the wiper, but the ability to open the glass is really handy when my camper is hooked up.

Still, having the spare on back is mighty attractive.

Just wait until you see the Vegemite and TimTams in the glove box! 😆

After several trips down under, could never get my head around Vegemite (or in my mouth). :vomit:
But loved everything else about it!

I highly recommend this; a freshly toasted slice of sourdough, a smear of Vegemite, some butter/avocado and sea salt. Life changing. The key to using Vegemite is restraint of application :)

Excited to see how this Prado door turns out. Might be the key to running clean, integrated 33's on a GX without looking overly modded!

Just the Prados with tire underside like 460.

Looks like 2015+ models

View attachment 2719883

Right - but those are flat backs - which are essentially OUR rear doors.

I haven’t seen 5th Wheel Rear Doors with wipers. Which might make sense - there’s a good chance the wiper would contact the tire

That's disappointing. I could live very easily without the wiper, but the ability to open the glass is really handy when my camper is hooked up.

Still, having the spare on back is mighty attractive.

For me - it’s never been something I’ve used. Maybe I just never formed the habit, but I can count on one hand how many times it’s been opened.

But regardless, it’s all about sacrifice. Just gotta decide what’s more important.

I highly recommend this; a freshly toasted slice of sourdough, a smear of Vegemite, some butter/avocado and sea salt. Life changing. The key to using Vegemite is restraint of application :)

Excited to see how this Prado door turns out. Might be the key to running clean, integrated 33's on a GX without looking overly modded!

Noted on the Vegemite.

I’ll get a few pics posted in the next response.

7C3B293A-7320-47A6-BDD3-3D38FEF684C8.jpeg

4239C316-FDA9-435F-B02D-AA8D625B5729.jpeg

6CBC0C5E-B2E3-48EB-8E67-541B32BE5E60.jpeg

So things are looking good!

Got the door mounted using the OEM hinges, latch mates up perfectly, original weatherstripping seals nicely and gaps are within an acceptable tolerance (but will probably need a little tweaking).

Im up to 90% certain the original interior will transfer over (verified the upper three pieces fit). Even though the kit includes the interior panels - they only come in all tan or all black - and I’d like to stick with the two tone Ecru/Sepia. So that’s shaping up to be a win.

Still haven’t verified if the wiper will transfer over - but I can see now that everything is apart - the upper hole configurations are not identical. The Prado is missing an oval hole vs the GX (but had an extra round hole)… so jury is out on that.

F158DF94-1B80-41FB-8372-0C1BBD0DFD2E.jpeg

6FA5F834-8782-4662-BFCA-D2FC6C9D33A2.jpeg

Come Monday - we should get it painted then start putting it back together. I have a few other odds n ends to take care of - so hopefully by the end of the week we’ll have answers for everything else. 🤞

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom