Under 8 MPG (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do have a wide band sensor installed. Air/fuel measurements are very consistent at about 14.7. They fluctuate a bit upon acceleration & coasting very breifly, but always return back to 14.7-15.

My tire size is 35x11.5x17. Actual diameter was 34.5 when new I believe.

So every so often. Not consistent at all, but my speedometer stops working. But only very briefly.

Today, on the freeway, to work, the odometer goes to zero. For about a mile or so maybe, then it works again.

I did notice the trip odometer wasn’t working, during this time. I assume the total odometer wasn’t working either.

Is disconnecting the speedometer, also stop the odometer too?? Is it that easy to bypass the odometer from rolling too??

Seems too easy for someone to cheat the system.

Today, on the freeway, to work, the odometer goes to zero.
What do you mean by that? Did you mean to say speedometer?

Edit: You meant speedometer. And your trip meter stopped advancing during that time. And you don't know whether your odometer stopped advancing as well. Correct?

How are your catalytic converters? There was a night and day difference on my supercharged cruiser after getting rid of my 250k originals.

How are your catalytic converters? There was a night and day difference on my supercharged cruiser after getting rid of my 250k originals.
Catalytic converters are original. They could be bad, but how to know?

I’d hate to throw parts (expensive ones to boot) just to see…

What do you mean by that? Did you mean to say speedometer?

Edit: You meant speedometer. And your trip meter stopped advancing during that time. And you don't know whether your odometer stopped advancing as well. Correct?
Yes, speedometer. Sorry.

There’s obviously some other factors at play but…
Cough* …tune your truck …cough*

Properly turboing it may result in proper results

A lot of trucks running around without being tuned not getting 8mpg. There is an issue. Throwing more parts at it isn't going to fix that problem, you will still have to fix that problem with an ECU.

Check for vacuum and boost leaks, check your O2 sensors, check your cats, etc. There is obviously something going on. If it wasn't like this from 2 years and it all of a sudden happened it obviously isn't the usual.

Just a data point - N/A on 33s, 4.10s, and vintage 300kmi engine - get about 250-270mi/tank with highway driving.
About 1.1gph on the trail. - which usually equates to around 9 - 11 mpg.
Have long suspected O2s. Just haven't bothered to replace them.
This thread seems to confirm my suspicions.
Good info. 👍

Last edited:
A lot of trucks running around without being tuned not getting 8mpg. There is an issue. Throwing more parts at it isn't going to fix that problem, you will still have to fix that problem with an ECU.

Check for vacuum and boost leaks, check your O2 sensors, check your cats, etc. There is obviously something going on. If it wasn't like this from 2 years and it all of a sudden happened it obviously isn't the usual.
Like I said, there’s other factors at play. But why not do it right while you’re at it😅

Turbo was designed to run on the factory ODDII ECU vehicles.

I am running 91 octane due to forced induction.

What temps should I be seeing before/after turbo?? Just run at idle & check, freeway pull?

So am I the only one who thinks this is a pretty silly discussion without a) adjustment for tire correction, and b) no real idea how often the odometer's not turning?
And is he running stock gears?

Turbo was designed to run on the factory ODDII ECU vehicles.

I am running 91 octane due to forced induction.

What temps should I be seeing before/after turbo?? Just run at idle & check, freeway pull?
They didn’t design the turbo to run on a factory obdII vehicle. It’s just a giant turbo that spools slow so the stock ecu can keep up, which is a terrible way to turbo a vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom