Under 8 MPG (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jjdeneen918

SILVER Star
Threads
Last fill up was an average of 7.7 MPG.

Siiting at Costco now to fill up again. 164 miles on the trip ODO. Expecting similar results.

Mixed town/highway milage.

‘96 LX450. Wits End turbo kit. EGR disabled since new HG installed a few years back. Had injectors cleaned/mapped them too.
4” lift w/35” tires. MPG estimate not calculated with larger tires.

Does this seem normal to anyone?

Running CA 91 premium fuel.

IMG_4551.jpeg

Normal no. But I don't have a turbo from wits end. Maybe edit your tread name with more description add turbo owners fuel mileage.

Turbocharged lifted 80 on 35s
Sounds about right to me

I just don’t remember the MPG being this bad. I’ve owned it since 2008, turboed it several years ago.

I’ve been daily driving it lately, while my STI is being rebuilt. New engine & all new go-faster parts. It’s been about 4 months in the making.

It everyone else getting well below 200 miles per tank?

I just don’t remember the MPG being this bad. I’ve owned it since 2008, turboed it several years ago.

I’ve been daily driving it lately, while my STI is being rebuilt. New engine & all new go-faster parts. It’s been about 4 months in the making.

It everyone else getting well below 200 miles per tank?
I would check and see if your O2 sensors are working properly. You might be running rich.

I definitely get sub 200 miles on a full tank, not exactly sure what the actual MPG is. I also have a WE Turbo Kit on 37s and 5.29 gears, but I also don’t drive it like a grandpa.

I would check and see if your O2 sensors are working properly. You might be running rich.
O2 sensors were actually replaced (both) about 2 months ago after a got an engine code. No engine codes for the past few months.

I was thinking my MPG would have increased afterwards, but it doesn’t seem like it.

Do I understand correctly that you are not factoring in the difference in tires size/difference in distance traveled between the "35"s and the OEM tires???

Mark...

It sounds like your milesage is at least 10% on the low side, which means your quoted MPG should actually be 10% higher.

My stock rigs get about 13 MPG. I know you can get better than that with a better state of tune, but nothing is tremendously better than that to my knowledge.

With 35" tires and a lift I would probably expect 10-11MPG. If you're doing lots of city driving, 8-9MPG seems totally possible. I don't know how the turbo will impact things.

Do you have to run premium for the turbo? That must hurt. I use regular octane fuel in our rigs.

I have the same tire and lift size, with a speedo/odo correction. Mine was 10-11% off, so you can estimate that for yours.. meaning 7.7 = about 8.5.... negligible difference, but still.

I also drive mixed town and highway. No city or crawling. 87 regular, no turbo, and I still have my EGR (although it's clogged). I'm easy on her i.e. light-footed, and the lowest I've ever seen is 11.5. My average is virtually always 12.5-13.5 throughout the year

If you were only a little bit low, then it is what it is, but I'm inclined think there's something going on here. Don't really have any insight into that, just giving you my comparison.

O2 sensors were actually replaced (both) about 2 months ago after a got an engine code. No engine codes for the past few months.

I was thinking my MPG would have increased afterwards, but it doesn’t seem like it.
Yes they should have. What about vacuum leaks?

I am not factoring tire size difference based on odometer reading. I don’t know the math to figure that calculation unfortunately.

All vacuum lines were replaced with OEM, when I did the HG a few years back, so that wouldn’t be the issue.

I’m running stock gear differentials.

YES, running 91 octane due to forced induction.

I’ve been driving pretty conservative lately. Keeping out of boost, not going over 70 MPH, and that is factoring my gauge is running about 5 MPH under the actual speed, adjusted for tire size. If I’m showing 65-66 MPH, I realize I’m actually doing about 70 MPH.

Just about all flat driving driving, no hills or inclines, & at sea level.

I would love to be seeing 10-13 MPG, but I’m seeing consistently lower numbers at around 7.7 to 8.5 over the last 2 tanks.

Gas tank does hold pressure. When fueling/removing tank lid, I do have several seconds of escaping air/vapor from the gas tank though.

Gas tank does hold pressure. When fueling/removing tank lid, I do have several seconds of escaping air/vapor from the gas tank though.
You need a new charcoal canister. Auto zone vc120. You should have basically zero pressure when removing the gas cap. Probably won't change mileage but will help relieve stress on the tank and pump.
Easy to figure the multiplier by using an accurate GPS comparing to your ODO.
Go 10 miles on the GPS and compare to your ODO (trip meter because it shows tenths).
my last tank (a few hours ago) was 17.5 mpg, "easy" highway miles. Fresh bone stock everything except KO2's 33"
Good luck!

Do you have a wideband installed to see what kind of air fuel ratios you have? That sounds way to low turbo or not if your just driving conservatively.

I entered 265/70R16 (OEM size for FZJ80, if I'm not mistaken) and 315/75R16 (I'm assuming this is what you have?) here: Tire Size Comparison - https://tiresize.com/comparison/

It shows the change in diameter. You multiply your trip miles by the difference (times 1.XX%) and it should be fairly close. Comparing with GPS would be the best option, however.

Edit: OEM was actually 275/60R16 (Thanks SpencerAK!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom