UltraGauge Review (OBD-II Gauge/Diagnostic Tool) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is a pretty quick turn around on fixing that. Let us know if that works for you.

Finally received a solution from UG... You should have them update/fix this issue while you have yours there, Nuclearlemon."
a scanguage is what i'm sending back now. looks like i'll have to send an ultragauge back too :frown:

a scanguage is what i'm sending back now. looks like i'll have to send an ultragauge back too :frown:
Ah, crap. Apparently I didn't read your posts thoroughly enough.

UG has already sent me a PDF of a shipping label so I'll get it in the mail tomorrow. Hopefully they'll get it back to me in a hurry.

I'm pretty happy with their customer service so far. While it is a pain that I have to deal with this at all, sometimes these things just happen... At least they've been very responsive and they're going to *hopefully* take care of the issue promptly. Have to give them props for that...

So which is the better product, the Scangauge or the Ultragauge?

So which is the better product, the Scangauge or the Ultragauge?
I've never used a Scan Gauge...just researched them pretty extensively before I purchased the UltraGauge.

Ultimately, they both do pretty much the same exact thing. There were a few things that were important to me....

Price: UltraGauge $80, Scan Gauge II $170...Huge advantage to UltraGauge.
Function: Pretty much equal from what I could find...
Reliability: Slight advantage to the Scan Gauge II. It's a more tried and true product, been on the market longer, etc.
Display: UltraGauge has a significant advantage, in my opinion.
Installation: Pretty much equal....

From these things, it made the decision to get an UltraGauge easy for me. Other people may have completely different reasoning or opinions so the SGII might be a better choice for them. You just have to decide what's most important to you.... :meh: YMMV.

IMHO, SG has TFT (Transmission Fluid Temperature) which is a big plus for me. But everyone have their own opinion

Not on the 80 series. If it does, the ultragauge should be able to as well, either one should be capable of getting the available info from the ECU. The problem is, no one has been able to find a way to read trans temp on the 80 series using OBD2.

scan guage has the ability to change colors of the screen, i like that, cause i can match stuff. also, it's less busy than ug, which i like better. ug will show more stuff per screen and some in larger numbers (larger numbers good, but too busy with all the stuff). i also like the beating heartbeat thing to show its connected. seems easier to program at fillup.

is anyone taking advantage of the faster refresh rates on the ultragauge EM?

also, is there a tutorial on rotating the OBD mount? should i still get the passthrough cable?

Just got mine today. Pretty cool piece of kit for the money, I love having a real temp gauge having been used to it with the diesel in my last wheeling rig.

is anyone taking advantage of the faster refresh rates on the ultragauge EM?

also, is there a tutorial on rotating the OBD mount? should i still get the passthrough cable?
A tutorial is not really necessary.

All you have to do it take off the fuse panel cover, take out the two screws holding the OBDII terminal in place, and then feed the OBDII terminal through the hole to get it behind the fuse panel. Then you can just reach up under/behind the dash and plug the UG OBDII connector into the vehicle OBDII terminal and route the cable however you want. I routed it behind the kick panel and up along the dash near the door opening. There is a piece of trim that the cable can easily be pushed behind. Then I mounted the windshield suction cup thing down as low as I could in the bottom corner of the windshield. Looks pretty slick!

A tutorial is not really necessary.

All you have to do it take off the fuse panel cover, take out the two screws holding the OBDII terminal in place, and then feed the OBDII terminal through the hole to get it behind the fuse panel. Then you can just reach up under/behind the dash and plug the UG OBDII connector into the vehicle OBDII terminal and route the cable however you want. I routed it behind the kick panel and up along the dash near the door opening. There is a piece of trim that the cable can easily be pushed behind. Then I mounted the windshield suction cup thing down as low as I could in the bottom corner of the windshield. Looks pretty slick!

thanks i'll check it out when i get a chance! i just wish there was an easy way to use this unit between 2 cars...

im about to upgrade mine...what was the turn around time on the upgrade?
also my mounting clip broke. they mailed me a new one and i had it in 2 days not bad considering it didnt cost me a dime.

gauge is working well so far!

i've seen ebag's calibration numbers for 315 tires, what are your guys numbers for 285/75/16s (BFG AT)?

i'd like to get some numbers for comparison when i calibrate mine

I forgot to post when I got my UltraGauge back from them after they had to reprogram it because it wouldn't read CELs. They got it turned around in about two weeks and they did fix the issue! It now can fully read and clear CELs.

Also, I'm using a distance correction multiplier of 1.054 for 285/75-16s on my LX.

gauge is working well so far!

i've seen ebag's calibration numbers for 315 tires, what are your guys numbers for 285/75/16s (BFG AT)?

i'd like to get some numbers for comparison when i calibrate mine

It will vary slightly based upon the true outer diameter of the tyre. Manufacturers' publicly published specifications for outside diameter will vary among brands and models of tyre. Dividing the new tyre's diameter by the OEM tyre's diameter will determine the correction factor.

Also, I'm using a distance correction multiplier of 1.054 for 285/75-16s on my LX.

Added to first post. Thanks! :cheers:

It will vary slightly based upon the true outer diameter of the tyre. Manufacturers' publicly published specifications for outside diameter will vary among brands and models of tyre. Dividing the new tyre's diameter by the OEM tyre's diameter will determine the correction factor.

This is true. However, it at least gives you a starting point that should be relatively close. And if you wanna get strictly technical about it, it'll change as the tire wears.

The UltraGauge method of calibrating is actually quite clever, in that you simply drive a known distance (I drove 3 miles) then enter the actual miles driven into the calibration screen. That allows it to compare the recorded number of miles to actual miles, and make the calibration adjustment. It also means it's as exact as the distance markers on the side of the road (or your GPS, if you go that route), no matter how new, bald, or off size the tire actually is.

But you make an excellent point about different tires giving slightly different calibration numbers.

The UG just requires you to drive some distance before you can correct the distance. I just drove around the block a few times, multiplied the number they showed for distance traveled by 1.054 and entered the resulting mileage.

I arrived at the 1.054 correction factor by dividing the new theoretical tire diameter by the stock theoretical tire diameter, as Ebag described.

Stock tire diameter: 31.157"
285/75-16: 32.831" (x1.054)
315/75-16: 34.602" (x1.11)

I really don't think it's necessary to measure to get the "actual" tire diameter, unless for some reason the actual measurements are very different than the "theoretical" dimensions. Even if your 285/75-16s wear down a quarter of an inch in diameter, that's only a difference of a couple miles after a full tank of gas.... :meh:

Last edited:
Update:There has been one report of it working on an 80 with a build date of 01/1995, which also had 33 gauges. The UltraGauge only supports OBD-II vehicles.

My is 1995 model but built date is 12/94 and UltraGauge works flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom