UltraGauge Review (OBD-II Gauge/Diagnostic Tool) (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, I had a CEL pop up on the dash a few days back, plugged in the ultragauge and read it out as a P0510.

Entered the menu system and cleared the code. All without access to the manual. So, a) the user interface is somewhat intuitive b) it can detect CEL codes, c) it can display them and d) it can clear them. Just an update that at least those functions also work correctly.

The P0510 has not re-appeared after a bunch of starts/stops/drive cycles - will ignore it unless it comes back to stay.

cheers,
george.

any new info on monitor readiness display?

Just got my Ultragauge in the mail today and have been playing around with it. Pretty cool little gadget and especially for the price. I like being able to read my coolant temp, actual RPM's and MPG's reported by the computer. And I've also had a nagging a P0420 that I can now clear until I get it sorted out. This thing gets a thumbs up from me.

any new info on monitor readiness display?

well, I'll just assume that the answer is No readiness display then...

Fuel sensor

I have had the UG for a few months and mine says there is no fuel gauge sensor found. I have to reset the gauge at every fill-up (totally annoying):mad: did i do something wrong on the setup??

There is no fuel gauge sensor via obd2, on the LC that I am aware of. I enter the fill up info on my scan gauge every fillup, takes about 30 sec.

You can also hold down the up button for 5 seconds and it will read as a full tank fill up.

Thanks guys!!! I guess i will have to live with it.

I have been considering getting the Scanguage 2. Found this thread and I may just go with the Ultragauge instead. Just kind of wondering how the Ultragauge is holding up. For the original poster or others who have had it for a while, is it still working fine?

Thanks.

have had mine for about 6mo and it works as new. Got a real workout with CELs a while back. I also have a scanguage in my 4runner; prefer the UG based on price and mounting system. The SG is velcroed to a piece of a beer can, which is taped to the dash. However, I definitely like the ability to remove the SG and with the spare cable plug it into a 3rd vehicle to pull codes, so that's a few points in favor of SG. You can't really do that as easily with the UG because in order to keep it clean, my cable runs behind the dash and it's not detachable like the SG.

Love my UG and have been using it for 6 months. It quit today while driving on the freeway. Unplugged, reconnected turned off etc... couldn't get it to come back to life.

Later tonight, it was flashing on and off and in "scanning" mode but never connected to the truck or stayed on long enough to.

Has anyone had this problem? No fuses blown, could it be bad OBDII or is the UG going bad?

I began the first thread on this so I guess I've run mine as long as anyone. I've had no problems. Works fine.

Has anyone ordered the new UltraGauge EM? I placed an order for one, waiting for it to get here.

How does the UltraGauge EM differ from the other gauges on the market?

Pulled this off the UltraGauge web site:

Toyota Landcruiser
Manufacture Date: 07/1995
Transmission: Automatic
Protocol: J1850 VPM
• Open/Closed Loop Emissions Status
• Percent Engine Load
• Engine coolant temperature
• Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
• Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
• RPM
• MPH
• Ignition Timing Advance
• Intake Air Temperature
• Mass Air Flow Sensor output in grams/sec
• Absolute Throttle Position Percentage
• Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 1 Voltage
• Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 2 Voltage
• Mass Air Flow 2, Calibrated/Calculated
• Instantaneous Miles Per Gallon (MPG)
• Average Miles Per Gallon (MPG)
• Average Miles Per Hour (MPH)
• Average Gallon Per Hour (GPH) - general
• Run Time - general
• Distance - general
• Fuel Used - general
• Intantaneous Gallons Per Hour (GPH)
• Fuel Tank Gallons Remaining
• Distance to Empty(DTE)
• Time to Empty (TTE)
• Average MPH - trip
• Average MPG - trip
• Fuel Used Gallons- trip
• Average Gallon Per Hour (GPH) - trip
• Run Time -trip
• Distance - trip
• Oil Distance
• Service Distance
• UltraGauge Temperature

How does the UltraGauge EM differ from the other gauges on the market?

Pulled this off the UltraGauge web site:

Cost, mostly.

The list you have is for the old Ultragauge. There's supposed to be a comparison matrix, but I can't find it. Supposedly it has more gauges, but no mention as to what specifically for our LC's.

The big difference I know about is that it supports metric and english units.

Got mine today.

I was really hoping (but wasn't expecting) that it'd add tranny temp. Unfortunately, that's not a gauge for us.

The ones that I did notice it added (aside from all the gauges being available in metric in addition to english units) was torque and HP. There are some calibration numbers that need to be done for them to be accurate (engine efficiency % and max torque I think).

The biggest change (to me) was that you have MUCH better control over how gauges are displayed. The number of pages is doubled from 3 to 6, and you can enable/disable pages individually. You can show 4, 6, or 8 gauges on each page. The best update is that you can show the same gauge on multiple pages.

I have three pages setup (with 6 gauges), all three show MPH, Avg MPG, intake temp, and coolant temp. The last two open slots (per page) show various stats depending on what I'm interested it, and the pages cycle automatically. This lets me keep the stats I always want to see up, and the ones I'm only periodically interested in up when I want them.

All in all, a very nice improvement from the original. Would like a few additional features (emissions readiness being a big one), but it's still an awesome buy for the price. :cheers:

There are some calibration numbers that need to be done for them to be accurate (engine efficiency % and max torque I think).

I've got the max torque as according to my '96 FSM (373 Nm, 275 lb-ft, both at 3200 RPM).

Anyone got any idea on an engine efficiency %? Don't see that listed in the FSM anywhere....

My Ultraguage died a few months ago. I have a feeling the desert heat may have had something to do with it though. I may try the new version though.

My Ultraguage died a few months ago. I have a feeling the desert heat may have had something to do with it though. I may try the new version though.

They offer an upgrade to the new Ultraguage EM for $10. Send it in for the upgrade and see if the re-flash they do to upgrade it brings it back. It's worth $10 to try.

I just purchased an upgrade and will be mailing mine back today.

what's the trick to reading codes? after my scanguage stopped working i bought an ultragauge. had a cel light on when i got it, but it showed no active tcs and no pending tcs. cleared the light just fine. same thing happened yesterday. cel came on, but gauge showed no active or pending tcs, but had no issue clearing the light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom