UltraGauge Review (OBD-II Gauge/Diagnostic Tool) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone spliced in a doner connector? Could have a new connector for the ultragauge, factory one for their testing...

So I finally got a chance to do a bit of calibration today. With stock gearing and 315's, I found that my distance/speed adjustment was 1.15.

I think I screwed up on the MPG/Fuel calibration, so I'll have to retry that one. Maybe I'll go top off, drive around a bit, top off again, and see what the difference is....

Anyone else calibrate theirs yet?

Has anyone spliced in a doner connector? Could have a new connector for the ultragauge, factory one for their testing...

I was thinking the same...anyone attempt adding a 2nd OBDII plug via a splice? Perhaps into the glovebox, inside the center console, or other location so that a diagnostic tool like the Scangauge or LM-2 could be plugged in without leaving the fuse-cover open, and the bloody cord dangling over my steering column.

:cheers:

Steve

I was thinking the same...anyone attempt adding a 2nd OBDII plug via a splice? Perhaps into the glovebox, inside the center console, or other location so that a diagnostic tool like the Scangauge or LM-2 could be plugged in without leaving the fuse-cover open, and the bloody cord dangling over my steering column.

:cheers:

Steve

So I think the way to do this would be to use this:
OBD2 Pass-thru Cable - Carplugs

and this:
OBD ii female- Connector: Car Plugs

The stock plug would need to be detached and moved behind the dash. The pass through would plug into it, and the UltraGauge (or ScanGauge) would plug into the pass through port. The connector would be wired to the cable, and mounted in the stock location.

Should look stock.

The big question is, would it work with multiple devices plugged in? I guess older vehicles (pre-CAN) are more likely to than newer vehicles. Even if it doesn't work, it'd be as simple as unplugging the UltraGauge/ScanGauge behind the dash.

Good find!

My MPG and fuel level are reading wrong too. I am using about 20 gals when it reads 18.5. I haven't even looked at the manual yet to find out how to calibrate it.

My MPG and fuel level are reading wrong too. I am using about 20 gals when it reads 18.5. I haven't even looked at the manual yet to find out how to calibrate it.

Is the MPH accurate?

Seems to be. I need to calibrate that too as I'm running 285's.

:steer:

Seems to be, or you need to calibrate it? :confused:

If you're running non-stock gearing/tires, it'll be off. If your MPH is off, the mileage you've driven will be off. If your mileage is off, your MPG will be off.

If you calibrate your MPG and MPH at the same time, you will correctly calibrate your MPH, but you will calibrate your MPG for an incorrect MPH. You need to calibrate the MPH, then calibrate (separately) your MPG.

Seems to be, or you need to calibrate it? :confused:

If you're running non-stock gearing/tires, it'll be off. If your MPH is off, the mileage you've driven will be off. If your mileage is off, your MPG will be off.

If you calibrate your MPG and MPH at the same time, you will correctly calibrate your MPH, but you will calibrate your MPG for an incorrect MPH. You need to calibrate the MPH, then calibrate (separately) your MPG.

Yes, I understand that. I have driven by the police radar things many times and my speedometer is correct according to those (hence the seems to be), but to be sure, I'll calibrate it as the manual suggests. It's not just my MPH that's off, it's also my fuel consumption.

Yes, I understand that. I have driven by the police radar things many times and my speedometer is correct according to those (hence the seems to be), but to be sure, I'll calibrate it as the manual suggests. It's not just my MPH that's off, it's also my fuel consumption.

It could be that the MPG is off. Mine seems to be correct once I calibrated my MPH correctly, but I'll go through the calibration process on it, just haven't gotten around to it.

If you've corrected your speed via gearing or a box, then as long as the ECU is seeing the correct speed the UltraGauge should as well.

Don't forget that you'll get different fill up amounts depending on where you go, temperature, etc. Probably wouldn't be a 2 gallon difference, but might be a quarter gallon.

To calibrate MPG, after a fill up reset the Average MPG. Drive around a while. Fill back up (same pump). Go into the calibration menu and enter the actual amount you filled up with. That'll adjust the amount to a percentage, IE: .95 or 1.15.

Haven't reread all the above, sorry. Is there an actual tank level reading on the 80 OBD2?

Haven't reread all the above, sorry. Is there an actual tank level reading on the 80 OBD2?

Nothing that's reported via the standardized commands. You enter the amount of fuel contained by the tank, and the UltraGauge guesstimates the amount of fuel used/remaining based on the fuel usage reported by the ECU.

So I think the way to do this would be to use this:
OBD2 Pass-thru Cable - Carplugs

and this:
OBD ii female- Connector: Car Plugs

The stock plug would need to be detached and moved behind the dash. The pass through would plug into it, and the UltraGauge (or ScanGauge) would plug into the pass through port. The connector would be wired to the cable, and mounted in the stock location.

Should look stock.

The big question is, would it work with multiple devices plugged in? I guess older vehicles (pre-CAN) are more likely to than newer vehicles. Even if it doesn't work, it'd be as simple as unplugging the UltraGauge/ScanGauge behind the dash.

Ordered mine last weekend, showed up today.

My big complaint is that it didn't come with any instructions or wiring pinout. Would have been nice for the company to have something, even if it was just on their website.

I sat down with the wiring, an LED light, and a battery and quickly figured out the wiring. We only care about 4 wires, two are for power (hot/ground) and two are for data (+data/-data).

The OBD-II connector is a 16 pin connector. The connector is well marked so you know exactly what terminal you're working on. The actual terminals are kinda cheap, but work well enough for this purpose.

2 - Black (Solid)
4 - Black (White writing)
5 - Yellow
16 - Orange

On the #4 black wire, mine had a bare section of wire on it where the insulation had been stripped right before entering the insulation bundling all the wires together. I have no idea why that is, but it's too clean to be accidental. I plan on taping it all up anyway, so it'll be covered.

I plugged in the pass through connector into the stock connector, then the Ultra Gauge into the connector. The wire I plugged into my cheap Innova code reader. The UltraGauge never lost connection, and the Innova picked up that I had no codes and the current emission status.

Now both devices were essentially reading. You may get a different result if you were reading with both and attempting to write with one (clear a code mostly). I also do not know if this will work with the government emissions scanners, but I see no reason why it wouldn't.

Now I just need to install the new harness. I'll try and take some pics of that when I do so, most likely sometime next week.

OBD Cables, much cheaper, larger variety, and wiring diagram/color codes for all cables included

ScanTool.net LLC - Scan Tools, PC, iPhone, & Android based OBD-II (OBD2) Interfaces, OBD diagnostic software

When you visit Scantool.net, you find this interesting tidbit of information....

We sell popular OBD-II cables here, but for more options (including custom OBD cables) please visit us at OBD2Cables.com.>.

:hmm:

This (http://www.obd2cables.com/products/cable-j1962m-f-pass-thru-to-open-end-5ft.html) is slightly cheaper. Looks like the exact same cable as the one from Car Plugs.

Now I just need to install the new harness. I'll try and take some pics of that when I do so, most likely sometime next week.

Okay, two lies right there. Took 15 minutes and installed the new harness. The OBD-II connector bolts right in to the OEM location, is virtually identical. Plugged everything in and zip tied the old one up behind the dash where it's safe from feet catching on it. Was easy as pie and did not require disassembling the dash.

Very nice not having the connector hanging out any longer, and shouldn't have to unplug the UltraGauge to go through emissions. If I *DO* have to unplug it, I can easily reach under the dash and do so.

No pictures either, as can't get a good angle from under the dash, and the new OBD-II connector looks the same as the old one.

Took about a 1k mile trip over the weekend. Tok the opportunity to fill up 4 times. Now this isn't filling up at the same pump each time, so there would be some variation there.

The calibration numbers were:

Now the first fillup was really just a top off, maybe 6 gallons. So not a good run. The rest were from less than half a tank to nearly empty.

Excluding the first one, looks like it averages to about 1.1. I'll call it at that for stock gearing and 315's.

Saw this thread awhile back, and ordered one of these up.

Like everyone else mentioned, good communication, great price, and quality product.

Hooked it up yesterday and setup my menu while the :princess: was driving.

Easy and very useful. Can't think of a much better way to spend ~$60.:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom