Ardentyota's 3-Link (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ardentyota

Flexy
Threads
Well, I've been talking about it for a while and I finally got it done. I wasn't able to take pics during much of the process, but here's some finals. Hopefully these will satisfy some of the people that have been asking...

Sorry the truck is dirty already. It snowed a couple days after I started driving it and finally got to take some pics. Once I wash it again, I'll retake some of these for more detail.

Parts:

Front
12" FOA Coilovers 2" body, remote resevoirs.
Upper spring is 10" and 275 lb/in
Lower spring is 14" and 400 lb/in
All three links are 2" .25" wall DOM
New Panhard is 1.5" .25" wall DOM
3" Ballistic Fab joints for lower arms

Rear:
Slee 4" medium springs
OME L shocks
1.75" .25 wall DOM for new LCAs
A couple custom brackets for LSPV and swaybar.

On to the pics...
Again, sorry I didn't take a lot of active build pics. I'm sure you can search around to find pics of coil buckets cut from the frames etc... :flipoff2:

Checking flex and clearances during mock-up:

With the C/O at full extension:

For the LCAs, we decided to go over the tie rod. With a slight bend in the LCA, the tie rod has ~1/8" clearance at full lock and stuff. I forgot to take our final link measurements; I'll do that tonight it I remember. A new crossmember was design with the frame side mounts integrated.
IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

Upper and lower links have ~10" of separation; plenty for 35-37's

Panhard and draglink are nearly parallel. I may end up raising the axle side mount ~1". For now, it really drives well and only very minimal bump steer is present. I'll probably wait for everything to settle before make that decision. From the front:

The coil mounts were CNC designed and cut then welded up to the frame:
DSC06867.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

Ride height ended up ~6" higher in the front. I will probably adjust it down closer to 5" after all has settled.

For the rear, everyone knows what Slee's coils and OME shocks look like, but here's a picture of the new LCAs.
IMG_1075.JPG

I got ~5" from the slee 4" springs. That's about what I expected with no weight in the back.

Here's a couple at ride height:
DSC06864.JPG

DSC06865.JPG

DSC06869.JPG

And that was the quickest build you've ever seen. Well, maybe not...

To Do's:

Bump stops, Limit straps, additional break line extension (4" isn't enough with 5" lift and ~another 8" of down travel...), and possible a DC front shaft. Hoping to complete most of that on President's day.

Drive-ability:
I was worried. At first, I really wanted to go the y-link route like Jodo, but after talking to my fabricator friends, I decided that the 3 link would suit my needs. I'm really happy with it, even on the street. I believe one major key to a stable 3-link is progressive spring rates. These coilovers are soft at ~165 lb/in initial rate. When on the street, the truck leans more than stock- absolutely. However, the lean is controlled by the dual rate spring stopper on the coil. It leans ~ 2" and then it's on the lower spring only. It firms up and holds there until the turn is complete. It is very stable and doesn't sway in the lanes. Castor is adjustable now and currently ~2.4*.

After I get the bumpstops built, I'll flex it out. Then I hope to have a shake-down run or two within the next month.

:cheers::steer:

Last edited:
Nice! Welcome to the 3-link club!

Your rig is awesome. I have a 3 link kit in my garage along with the GM y link. I really like the idea of coil overs up front, I'm sure it helps with road manners.

Fugg'n killer... very nice looking rig as well

NicE! I used to turn the collar down on my coilovers to get the higher spring rate to kick in after only about an inch of up travel( like u described). In a pic way above it looks like u may want a longer lower spring ( and shorter upper to match)as on full droop the dual rate slider can slide off the shock body?<---nightmare! I had this issue initially on one of the rigs i linked.maybe ur limit straps will resolve that as its barely comin off...

I have a set of 16" FOA rr coilovers i need to trade in after a rebuild, for some 12 or 14s. Ur setup looks great! I tried going over the tierod but had clearance issues on compression w the frame. I coulda dropped down the bumpstops i suppose...U freed up some space getting rid of the coil and shock mounts at the axle too. Really turned out great!

Is FOA back up for shock orders/mods and running after the fire? ' Motochris' is super helpful and the customer service is awesome if u wanna revalve urs in the future or wanna rebuild them. Did you go medium firm compression and medium rebound? Thats what i ran on my 4 door taco but the 80 is a different creature and i purely rockcrawled and did the daily driver thing...

Again, it looks like it turned out awesome!!

Last edited:
Wow.

That's a monster.

Nice outta-box thinking.

:cheers:

Thanks Onur!

Nice! Welcome to the 3-link club!

Haha thanks!

Your rig is awesome. I have a 3 link kit in my garage along with the GM y link. I really like the idea of coil overs up front, I'm sure it helps with road manners.

Coilovers are the only way to go IMO. The adjustability alone is worth the investment.

Fugg'n killer... very nice looking rig as well

Thanks!

NicE! I used to turn the collar down on my coilovers to get the higher spring rate to kick in after only about an inch of up travel( like u described). In a pic way above it looks like u may want a longer lower spring ( and shorter upper to match)as on full droop the dual rate slider can slide off the shock body?<---nightmare! I had this issue initially on one of the rigs i linked.maybe ur limit straps will resolve that as its barely comin off...

The pic with the single loose coil while flexing is actually the upper short coil. The lowers are 14" and should avoid that problem for sure.

I have a set of 16" FOA rr coilovers i need to trade in after a rebuild, for some 12 or 14s. Ur setup looks great! I tried going over the tierod but had clearance issues on compression w the frame. I coulda dropped down the bumpstops i suppose...U freed up some space getting rid of the coil and shock mounts at the axle too. Really turned out great!

Thanks!

Is FOA back up for shock orders/mods and running after the fire? ' Motochris' is super helpful and the customer service is awesome if u wanna revalve urs in the future or wanna rebuild them. Did you go medium firm compression and medium rebound? Thats what i ran on my 4 door taco but the 80 is a different creature and i purely rockcrawled and did the daily driver thing...

I don't think they're back up fully yet. They have the seals and such available, but not their shocks. I've had the coilovers for about 5 months now... It just took a while to finally get the time to work on it. IIRC, we went with medium/medium- I'll have to find the sales slip to make sure. It really handles well on the road and floats quite well over bumps and potholes. It's actually a much more plush ride than before.

Again, it looks like it turned out awesome!!

Thanks!

:cheers:

Me like a lot your cross member design .. making it ready to hold lower links .. fantastic .. CO support .. nice !

The only think that I will do different in my case ( If I ever decide that ) it's the tender coil been more like 300 - 325 and 12"

Nice work!! It looks great and well thought out. I really like your cross member, keeps the links longer and flatter. Do you have the info from the 3-link calculator (anti-squat/dive, roll axis & link lengths) and would you be willing to share? Thanks.

Nicely done! I saw your rig driving around my neighborhood the other day, looking good.

wow that looks super clean!!!

Do you feel like you sacrificed any of the predictability & control of the on-road mannerisms at any speed or in any situation?

Looks like a very well thought out setup, and well executed - just wondering if what looks like one of the better 3-links on here is worse/less predictable on-road than the factory setup (where I gottadmit mine spends a majority of its' time) - if so, what's jumping out at you for any particular situation/speed & what exactly is the shortcoming/change from factory feel?

I always wonder why Mr. T put the radius arms on the underside of the axle everytime I get down there, so I envy you flipping them up & out of the way like you just don't know! Nice going!

How much $$$ did you spend? Nice LC:cheers:

Wondering the same!

Slightly off topic but what are you thoughts on the exhaust dumping before the axle? I was thinking about doing the same but have not seen any other rigs do it besides JK's.

Me like a lot your cross member design .. making it ready to hold lower links .. fantastic .. CO support .. nice !

The only think that I will do different in my case ( If I ever decide that ) it's the tender coil been more like 300 - 325 and 12"

Thanks! Yeah, I agree about the spring rate. It could be a bit higher, but I probably wouldn't go over 325.

Love that set up

Thanks!

How much $$$ did you spend? Nice LC:cheers:

Um, uh... It was about $1500 in parts. Does that help? :hillbilly:

Nice work!! It looks great and well thought out. I really like your cross member, keeps the links longer and flatter. Do you have the info from the 3-link calculator (anti-squat/dive, roll axis & link lengths) and would you be willing to share? Thanks.

I'll take the final measurements and plug them into the calculator and let you know.

wow that looks super clean!!!

Thanks!

Do you feel like you sacrificed any of the predictability & control of the on-road mannerisms at any speed or in any situation?

Absolutely. The truck is definitely less stable than a stock setup. It drives differently that the stock radius arms. However, I do not feel that it is unsafe. Evasive maneuvers will be less stable as a result, but with practice and leaving a little more room between me and those around me, I don't see this as an issue.

Looks like a very well thought out setup, and well executed - just wondering if what looks like one of the better 3-links on here is worse/less predictable on-road than the factory setup (where I gottadmit mine spends a majority of its' time) - if so, what's jumping out at you for any particular situation/speed & what exactly is the shortcoming/change from factory feel?

Again, evasive maneuvers are going to be less stable. The truck does handle differently. Again though, different, but not unsafe. It still feels very stable to me compared to many other lifted 4x4s I have driven.

I always wonder why Mr. T put the radius arms on the underside of the axle everytime I get down there, so I envy you flipping them up & out of the way like you just don't know! Nice going!

Wondering the same!

Slightly off topic but what are you thoughts on the exhaust dumping before the axle? I was thinking about doing the same but have not seen any other rigs do it besides JK's.

I plan on finishing it to end behind the rear axle. Just haven't gotten around to it. If I leave the truck idling for a while, I do notice the exhaust in the cab. However, driving around I haven't noticed any negatives except the noise...

Well, I found some oil in my coolant, so the truck's torn apart again... Fingers are crossed that it's just the oil cooler... Unfortunately, this may delay the completion of the bump stops and other things... :crybaby::frown:

Sorry to hear that Nate! Get that thing back in shape so we can see some flex pics!

Working on it! I've torn it all apart and the new gaskets are supposed to be here tomorrow. I also did the PHH and will be replacing the fuel filter as well while I'm in there... Oh the joy of car repairs...

I must say though- it was way easier to work on this thing when it was 5" lower! I'm 6'5" and it's tough getting into the engine bay!

IDK if you did or didn't - but pulling my FR bumper was the best thing I could think of & paid off in spades for ease of ergonomics during mega sessions underhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom