TTT -- The Tool Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

He has more toys than me

You can use my Tormek. It will put a razor edge on anything.
And it did. Thanks for the use.

I felt like the little kid that the adults give a mindless task to occupy while they do important stuff on the big machines. I was just grinding and polishing away while @Malleus and Jake used a giant machine with a computer to do something way below its pay grade!

And it did. Thanks for the use.

I felt like the little kid that the adults give a mindless task to occupy while they do important stuff on the big machines. I was just grinding and polishing away while @Malleus and Jake used a giant machine with a computer to do something way below its pay grade!
Don’t feel bad. On Saturday, Jake @CruizerHound used his lathe and precision instruments to do a job for me that Fred @Malleus says could be done with a bench grinder and a couple of skateboard wheels. Overthinking is fun when you have the tools to support your overthinking.

Here's what I started with:

Drill Press setup.jpg

As you can see, the drill press chuck just refused to center itself on the screw, so...

MIll setup, solenoid end.jpg

MIll setup, brush cap end.jpg

I don't have one but have friends that swear by the Work Sharp. Not sure how well it would work for a chisel and they are pretty pricey too... but very cool

Careful using this on your kitchen knives. It works, but is sooooo aggressive. I ruined my Wusthof Chef knife after about 3 sessions by taking away too much material. Great for mower blades and such, and probably if you stay away from the lower grit. I was naive and just followed the instructions.

Careful using this on your kitchen knives. It works, but is sooooo aggressive. I ruined my Wusthof Chef knife after about 3 sessions by taking away too much material. Great for mower blades and such, and probably if you stay away from the lower grit. I was naive and just followed the instructions.

This is good to know. My wife and I bought the Wusthof Ikon Blackwood knife set a couple years ago and I was looking at a sharpening system to keep them razor sharp since we use them 4-5x a week and this was one I was looking at. I’ll do some more reading first.

I love my Lansky for setting the correct degree for the blade use. In addition, the kitchen knives get a quick run across the Smith’s diamond stone prior to each use.

This is good to know. My wife and I bought the Wusthof Ikon Blackwood knife set a couple years ago and I was looking at a sharpening system to keep them razor sharp since we use them 4-5x a week and this was one I was looking at. I’ll do some more reading first.
I have quite a few of the Wusthof Classic knives and use this sharpener for them. Works great, just be sure the blade angle matches as they may differ from brand to brand, line to line, knife to knife etc. I rarely if ever user the coarse side.

I have quite a few of the Wusthof Classic knives and use this sharpener for them. Works great, just be sure the blade angle matches as they may differ from brand to brand, line to line, knife to knife etc. I rarely if ever user the coarse side.

That's all I use now too. And try to hit my most heavily used knives with the honing steel before every use.

Johny - check out Ron Cosman's videos on YouTube. That jig is good and so is a good wet stone. Can also use on your pocket knife.

Installed my adjustable panhard bar today with the OEM jack. Bracing the jack against the tire and frame support allowed me to fine tune the ideal length of the panhard.
1646274229286.png

Been debating finally getting an electric impact wrench for a while now and trying to get my rear companion flange off my tcase outside of the truck while balancing on the transmission jack was enough to convince me now is the time.

I just ordered one of these since there aren't any local and think 650ft/lbs should suffice for my needs while still allowing me to get it in tighter spots than the mac daddy 1200ft/lbs version.

Anyone have these and/or have any reservations on it?

Been debating finally getting an electric impact wrench for a while now and trying to get my rear companion flange off my tcase outside of the truck while balancing on the transmission jack was enough to convince me now is the time.

I just ordered one of these since there aren't any local and think 650ft/lbs should suffice for my needs while still allowing me to get it in tighter spots than the mac daddy 1200ft/lbs version.

Get it, it's kinda the gold standard for impacts right now. I guess the first gen was technically the gold standard, but it'll still be everything you need. The Torque Test Channel, on YouTube, tested the 2nd gen impact... I think: link

Either Milwaukee or DeWalt are both worth the money. It kinda comes down to whichever battery ecosystem you are already married into, or if you have room to do both battery systems.

After just removing my crank bolt I might vote for the high torque. I have the Dewalt because I already had those tools/batteries. If you are starting fresh, the Milwaukee stuff seems to be a little stronger. It's nice knowing the tool will do any nut/bolt on the vehicle.

Now along with the big one you can pick up the compact impact and/or a 12v ratchet. That little 3/8" high speed ratchet is nice to have.

Get it, it's kinda the gold standard for impacts right now. I guess the first gen was technically the gold standard, but it'll still be everything you need. The Torque Test Channel, on YouTube, tested the 2nd gen impact... I think: link

Either Milwaukee or DeWalt are both worth the money. It kinda comes down to whichever battery ecosystem you are already married into, or if you have room to do both battery systems.

After just removing my crank bolt I might vote for the high torque. I have the Dewalt because I already had those tools/batteries. If you are starting fresh, the Milwaukee stuff seems to be a little stronger. It's nice knowing the tool will do any nut/bolt on the vehicle.

Now along with the big one you can pick up the compact impact and/or a 12v ratchet. That little 3/8" high speed ratchet is nice to have.

Thanks guys. I only have a Makita drill/impact drill but wanting to move over to Milwaukee going forward as I’m loving the 3/8” ratchet I have.

I'll shout out for the Mil 3/8" ratchet as well. I've been using one for several years now and I can not imagine working without it at this point. i break and finish tighten bigger bolts with a standard ratchet but all other work I use the electric. It is very fast.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom