TTT -- The Tool Thread (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a felling/general-purpose axe. Anybody have a particular brand or model they love?

It's on the old man's Christmas list, and the dude deserves a nice one. I see the Fiskar line seems to be positively reviewed but he's old school, it needs a hickory handle. My research currently puts a Helko Werk Forester near the top of the list.

Agree. Dimensions are fairly forgiving. Ideally this would all happen with axle on the rig and (better yet) not even removing hub from spindle. It needs to be fairly narrow to clear brake rotors but can extend fore and aft as far as you like.

The milling idea is appealing because it would yield a beautiful product. One non-pretty idea is cutting some truck leaf springs and setting them on their sides with the rods sliding down between them.

Not sure how spring steel does with tapping. Would be a cheap source of thick material though.

If you give me some rough dimensions I can design something. 1018 is relatively cheap to get online. If the design looks good, I can whip up something for you to try out in the field.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a felling/general-purpose axe. Anybody have a particular brand or model they love?

It's on the old man's Christmas list, and the dude deserves a nice one. I see the Fiskar line seems to be positively reviewed but he's old school, it needs a hickory handle. My research currently puts a Helko Werk Forester near the top of the list.

Was gonna suggest fiskar. Don't have a suggestion for a hickory handle one, sorry!

Last edited:

My trusty 025 died a couple weeks ago and I had to get a new one. While there, I was very impressed with the line of axes that Stihl had. I didn't look very long but they had a really good selection at my local dealer (Triad Equipment in Wake Forest).

Can’t go wrong with a Gransfor. Not cheap though.

The IR 2135QXOA 1/2" impact with 780 lb ft of torque. $260 marked down to $130 on an Amazon lightning deal? Couldn't say no. 😁

20191201_174402.jpg

Sorry ... can't explain it.

20191201_184520.jpg

Last edited:
you can never have to many guns, errr , I meant impact guns..

I remember hearing a lot of talk that the Husqvarna axes are great Swedish steel and very affordable. I went with Fiskars when I bought mine simply to try the new tech, though.

I remember hearing a lot of talk that the Husqvarna axes are great Swedish steel and very affordable. I went with Fiskars when I bought mine simply to try the new tech, though.
I have the husqvarna, i can recommend them.

Thanks everyone! Glad to see some folks vouch for the Fiskars. My spouse graciously reminded me that her company has a contract with one of their competitors in other lawn and garden equipment so I was further asked to not purchase them. Ha.

I’ve seen good things about the Stihl options, just that you should get the Pro version with the hickory handle as the ash version tends to break. Also given the handle design, you cannot use generic replacements.

I need to check out what Husqvarna offers.

I have a 19" Husky carpenter axe and Fiskars camp axe. The Fiskars axe feels like a toy and the swell on the handle is uncomfortable to me. The Husky on the other hand is a beast. It's a bit head heavy but feels stout. The blade angle is perfect and takes an edge nicely. The "carpenters" part of the axe is the flat edge profile from top to bottom for straight cut, planing, and carving. I paid $55 for my Husky axe but I see they are going for much more. The 26" Husky axe is notorious for breaking the hardened edge off while splitting wood.

If you are looking for a workhorse, the Council axes are another very good affordable option. Gransfor Bruks are the gold standard and worthy of an heirloom while being tough as nails and a price to match.

Snow & Nealley- classic stuff. There have been some ups and downs with the company this decade, but it was bought out by some Amish in Maine and all production was brought back stateside.

Snow & Nealley- classic stuff. There have been some ups and downs with the company this decade, but it was bought out by some Amish in Maine and all production was brought back stateside.
These look really nice!

I have the Helko hatchet and it is a great piece of kit. I had the axe on my wish list but ended getting a chainsaw....... if I was going to buy one quality axe it would be a Helko or a Gransfor

Back at the Gravely again. Angle grinder, grind wheels, drill press, and the trusty Hobart Handler yet again. The welder is going to pay for itself eventually. The snow blade has a handle to set the blade angle, it is worn out. Thicker plate steel to the rescue. Cut the worn out pieces off the solid handle, cut two new pieces from plate steel, welded them together, ground them down close to the original. Welded the original on as a template, drilled the holes, ground everything pretty, welded the first side on using the magnet.

IMG_9817.JPG

IMG_9821.JPG

IMG_9824.JPG

IMG_9825.JPG

IMG_9832.JPG

Last edited:
Finished up the welds and primed it. Stoked I didn't screw anything major up.

IMG_9830.JPG

IMG_9834.JPG

IMG_9839.JPG

IMG_9842.JPG

IMG_9843.JPG

Picked up a new tool today.

IMG_1401.jpg

Gotta love tools that require a trailer to bring home :)

I predict this will be an uplifting experience for you :rimshot:

You will never regret getting a lift.
I had a guy ask me tonight if I had a creeper.
I answered, yes, but I don't use it much...had to explain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom