TTT -- The Tool Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been using a flip up face shield in place of goggles for a while now. No fogging and much more comfortable.

20170812_131131.jpg

EDIT for shoppers .....
Here is a link: Amazon.com: 3M Ratchet Headgear with Crown Extender H10, Face Protection 82516-00000: Industrial & Scientific

A note about lenses...
ANSI Z87 is the stamp that indicates the lens is acceptable for "impact" use.
ANSI Z87+ is the stamp that indicates it is designed for "High Speed impact".

Zoom in on the upper right corner and (maybe) you can see the Z87+ stamp

51Jp7Ajm7aL._SL1024_.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using a flip up face shield in place of goggles for a while now. No fogging and much more comfortable.

View attachment 1516293
I love that idea, plus it gets us used to seeing what you'll look like when we've managed to save your head in a jar for future needs. I need to look for one shaped like a flushing toilet for myself.

NEED TO BORROW: bead roller, small sheet metal brake (30" or smaller) - anyone have either of these tools I could borrow for a week?

I need a nutzert, rivet nut, rivinut tool for my snorkel install and to help with a skid plate install on the jetta.

I'm not wanting to spend a ton but also don't want one that will break the first time I used it.

What do you guys recommend?

I bought this one when I replaced the crappy anchors that came with my Safari snorkel. I didn't have any issues with it and will use it to install the snorkel on the 100.

Threaded Insert Riveter Kit 45 Pc

I thought about harbor freight but i'm scared of it breaking halfway through the install of one of those like my rivet gun from them did when I did the snorkel on the 80.... getting that out was fun :rolleyes:

But if you've used it before I may give it a try.

What size did you use for the snokel on the a-pillar?

I need a nutzert, rivet nut, rivinut tool for my snorkel install and to help with a skid plate install on the jetta.

I'm not wanting to spend a ton but also don't want one that will break the first time I used it.

What do you guys recommend?

IMHO don't mess with HF rivnuts, or the tool, for this application. Consider also that the smaller rivnut tools will only get you up to a M4 or (maybe) a M6 thread.

I've been very happy with this, have used it a bunch for M8 fasteners and a handful of M10. It comes with a few standard dies as well as a selection of metric dies. Wouldn't recommend anything else:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JBNANEE/

71fnPY9KUDL._SL1500_.jpg

hmmm.... more than I wanted to spend for such a small project right now but I can easily imagine I may need it again for something bigger. I'll look into that one also... thanks

I thought about harbor freight but i'm scared of it breaking halfway through the install of one of those like my rivet gun from them did when I did the snorkel on the 80.... getting that out was fun :rolleyes:

That Astro one looks nice. We use Pneumatic ones at work from the company that makes the inserts.
AVK Industrial Products, a division of Precision Castparts Corp.

...but no need for a tool for just a couple of inserts. when I needed to do a couple at home I just grab a nut a few sizes up from the bolt that fit the insert. Push the insert up to the panel with the oversized nut and tighten the bolt to crimp the insert. Works with stud or nut style inserts.
I've installed a factory accessory skid plate on a Jeep before and it came with inserts and the nut/bolt setup I described.

Skip to 1:25

Last edited:

10-32 I figured it's not something I am going to use a lot and I only needed it for the A pillar so there was no need for me to invest much into it.

...but no need for a tool for just a couple of inserts. when I needed to do a couple at home I just grab a nut a few sizes up from the bolt that fit the insert. Push the insert up to the panel with the oversized nut and tighten the bolt to crimp the insert. Works with stud or nut style inserts.
I've installed a factory accessory skid plate on a Jeep before and it came with inserts and the nut/bolt setup I described.

Skip to 1:25

I recently used these on my truck bed and found they worked well.

hmmm.... more than I wanted to spend for such a small project right now but I can easily imagine I may need it again for something bigger. I'll look into that one also... thanks

enablement engaged.jpg

Rivnuts are rivnuts. You can spend 5 min per rivnuts with a nut and bolt, which works, I've done it, or you could spend 5 seconds with the proper tool. It's like framing a wall with a hammer versus a nail gun. It can be done, just as well, it's just how much time you want to spend doing it.

. . . . and how often.

IMHO don't mess with HF rivnuts, or the tool, for this application. Consider also that the smaller rivnut tools will only get you up to a M4 or (maybe) a M6 thread.

I've been very happy with this, have used it a bunch for M8 fasteners and a handful of M10. It comes with a few standard dies as well as a selection of metric dies. Wouldn't recommend anything else:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JBNANEE/

71fnPY9KUDL._SL1500_.jpg

Added to my Amazon wish list. Darn you, Johnny, for starting this thread. :flipoff2:

I saw one of these in use the other day and it almost made me think a 4 post lift is a good idea. Guy had a Ford Ranger on the lift, up to a good working height and was pushing up the lower control arm while replacing ball joints with the scissor lift. It rolls back and forth on the channel of the 4 post lift. He had a pair of them. The right tools make all the difference for sure.

BendPak_RJ-45_Rolling_Jack_03.jpg

I hope I'm not crossing the line to ask about non-auto tools, or lawn equipment. I had an Echo edger that lasted 19 years, and now its time to replace. My Stihl 310 chainsaw has been a beast, so I bought a Stihl blower (BG55 I think) a few years ago and have had good luck. I'm contemplating another Stihl for my stick edger, any suggestions on which Stihl model or another make?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom