TTT -- The Tool Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have an FS55 (I think) straight shaft trimmer with a few different attachments, trimmer head, chainsaw, and hedge trimmer. I love it, use it often. They sell an edger attachment as well. I'm a fan.

I hope I'm not crossing the line to ask about non-auto tools, or lawn equipment. I had an Echo edger that lasted 19 years, and now its time to replace. My Stihl 310 chainsaw has been a beast, so I bought a Stihl blower (BG55 I think) a few years ago and have had good luck. I'm contemplating another Stihl for my stick edger, any suggestions on which Stihl model or another make?

It looks as though the FS90R I have has been replaced with a "low emissions" model, the FS91. Regardless, mine is 8 years old now and is the bees knees (still don't know what that is, but it's good). Lots of power, easy start, easy tune, etc.

FS 91 R Weed Trimmer for Professionals

It looks as though the FS90R I have has been replaced with a "low emissions" model, the FS91. Regardless, mine is 8 years old now and is the bees knees (still don't know what that is, but it's good). Lots of power, easy start, easy tune, etc.

FS 91 R Weed Trimmer for Professionals

Might be time for an upgrade. My FS90 is a beast to start. It's easier to just put a new chinese carb on it annually than anything.

Correction, I have a fs110 bought used. Not a one-pull start but it runs real well.

I've had a huskvarna straight shaft trimmer that's 7 years old. Starts 3rd pull every time and has required zero other than fuel. I typically use the gas in a can from HD or Lowes.

IMG_2527.JPG
IMG_2528.JPG

I finally made some progress organizing the garage. It is a work in progress but a few hours a day and I should be up and running by the end of the week. I already have some back logged projects I want to get started on.

Johnny, what is the name of those lights? I am sucking in the light dept.

I checked them out. They are not cheap but they also put out 4 times the light of a traditional LED light and in a package about the size of a briefcase.

I need some help. I don't do a lot of welding but I've had my #2 tank run out twice when I needed it. How do I upgrade for cheap?

Back story: I started welding with flux. I learned a lot but hated the sparks, smoke, and slag. The move to MIG required a tank of C25. I picked up an empty #1 tank from Harbor Freight for cheap and took it to the local Tractor Supply to swap it out. That day the staff was nothing more than a bunch of high schoolers that didn't know much about welding, gas, propane, C25 etc... I knew what I was doing was not correct but I was able to upgrade myself from an empty #1 to a full #2 for about $40. Since then I've tried the same trick to upgrade from a #2 to a #3 multiple times only to be hit with reality. The last time I tried it was on Sunday. The guy that got the tank for me said I could upgrade to a #3 for $360. Needless to say, I said no thanks.

s***...I bought one from arc3 here in Durham for like 140 bucs filled. This was not an exchange, it was a new to me tank when I bought my TIG. I think it's 80cf but not 100% sure.

s***...I bought one from arc3 here in Durham for like 140 bucs filled. This was not an exchange, it was a new to me tank when I bought my TIG. I think it's 80cf but not 100% sure.

Agree. I don't remember the $$$ exactly but I purchased a 120cf for (I believe) something sub-$220.

Depends on the size of the bottle. Airgas tends to be more expensive, but they're closer to me. Changing out a unimix 150cf bottle costs me $70 or so, but I got the bottle with the welder. It's nice to be able to just change the bottle out.

Airgas - AR CD25150 - 25% Carbon Dioxide Balance Argon Industrial Shielding Gas Mixture, Size 150 Cylinder, CGA-580

I will say, no matter what size you get, you will always run out in the middle of a project unless you keep a close eye on your regulator. Still happens to me with a large bottle, albeit not as often.

so, i'm inheriting a Hobart 125 welder and some misc bits from a friend/coworker. Its currently set up for flux, but he's throwing in a regulator and a new helmet, and maybe some other bits. Where would be a good source for a tank to do MIG? I should have it within a month or so, when he comes over this way for work. Total welding newbie. Last time I did anything with a welder (other than watch Rice light up the engine compartment) was doing some spot welds on sheet metal eons ago at a body shop. It was literally just plug n play (the shop owner had already dialed in the setup, and showed/watched me a few times to get the hang of it.

Airgas. You'll have to pay for a new bottle, they aren't cheap.

Anyone have a shrinker/ stretcher for sheet metal??

I've gone a little nuts lately buying things that I haven't needed yet but will make certain things easier. I plan on using this little guy ASAP with my Motive Power Bleeder to guarantee a mess-free, one person brake fluid exchange. Fits many Toyota models. Yes, it's pricey, but 80's are a pain to bleed AND I have more free time during the day when helpers are not available. Plus I know I'll be opening the system for the caliper replacement, inviting more air inside than I'd like. Not that I need to justify a tool purchase to any of you...

Brake Bleeder Adapter

IMG_1195.JPG

I've gone a little nuts lately buying things that I haven't needed yet but will make certain things easier. I plan on using this little guy ASAP with my Motive Power Bleeder to guarantee a mess-free, one person brake fluid exchange. Fits many Toyota models. Yes, it's pricey, but 80's are a pain to bleed AND I have more free time during the day when helpers are not available. Plus I know I'll be opening the system for the caliper replacement, inviting more air inside than I'd like. Not that I need to justify a tool purchase to any of you...

Brake Bleeder Adapter

View attachment 1565231
@fourtrax has the same adapter for his Motive Power Bleeder. It works like a champ.

Just discovered this tool. Wow this is cool. A plasma cutter pantograph. Much want.

Plasma-Tracer

Tracer_goast_accessories.jpg

A583702E-B0D9-428A-BB04-3C0C83CED328.jpeg
8DF2040D-7A09-4F02-933A-33E8EB3D3784.jpeg
Picked up this sweet really old post vice for free today. In perfect working order as well. Left it at the shop at work so I can clean it up on the next rainy day we have.

Yeah I knew a little about them but not a ton. Blacksmiths mostly use them because you can beat the hell out of them due to the weight and shock of the hammer blow being transferred to the floor.
that's pretty cool looking - I've never seen that before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom