Trollhole Distributor and Pertronix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shark56

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone tried to put a Pertronix in a Trollhole Dizzy yet? I know in one of Marshall's older threads he said he might try but I have not seen any other info. Jeff :beer:

I put a pertronix in a tc dizzy and I did have to do some minor mods. I do not remember exactly but I think I had to drill and tap a hole to mount the module. It is not a drop in but doable with a little ingenuity. I haven't had any problems with it.

I've been planning to do a drop-in kit for that dizzy, just haven't gotten to it yet. Thanks for reminding me!:)

IIRC, a 'good' mount is gonna require more than just some notching and hole drilling. Just for starters, off the top of my head [since the sample Marshall sent me is at the shop, and I am not], isn't there a felt cam brush that is riveted to the points plate?

Best

Mark A.

Seems like a decently built Distibutor. I have a OEM Vac retard Dizzy from a 74 as a spare but I'm not sure a Pertronix would be worth it in that one. there is a mounted felt brush in the Trollhole version. Not having to mess with points would be nice although its not that big of a deal. Wonder what points fit the Trollhole version. I apologize for the cell phone pic. :beer:
Trollhole Carb.jpg

Paging Marshall! ;)

818-953-9230.

In short, it works. The only significant modifications required, are 1)Drill a new hole for the wire exit and 2) Shave/sand down the base of the rotor lip about 1/16" as it will sit too high in the cap - although check yours to be sure as this may not be needed on others.

Pic 1: New distributor shown next to my early small cap distributor with Pertronix Kit Part Number 91665A already installed for reference (old distributor had a bad bearing):
Pic 2: Remove all points related parts. (Note to remove the vac advance it is necessary to remove the screw on the side and then remove the manual octane adjuster by unscrewing it all the way out. Now the vac advance assembly will slide out)
Pic 3: The felt wiper is held on by a screw located under the felt, pinch the felt wiper and lift it out to expose the screw beneath it.
IMG_1590 (Small).JPG
IMG_1595 (Small).JPG
IMG_1599 (Small).JPG

Pic 1: The base plate has two raised bumps (pointed out by the screwdriver), I am unsure as to their original purpose but they will need to be ground down to permit the Pertronix base plate to sit flush.
Pic 2: Pertronix base plate held in place with supplied flat head screw. I used an existing threaded hole. The plate will rotate - so align it with the shaft and then tighten down the screw. I applied a small amount of blue loctite for good measure. Also note: I previously notched the Pertronix base plate to clear the vac advance post.
Pic 3: Make sure the Pertronix plate does not bind on the outer lip of the distributor base plate which would prevent the vac advance from functioning properly. Mine had enough clearance out of the box.
IMG_1602 (Small).JPG
IMG_1604 (Small).JPG
IMG_1606 (Small).JPG

Pic 1: Bottom view of distributor base plate for reference.
Pic 2: Base plate reinstalled in Distributor - **Note: You must align the small metal tabs that are on the perimeter of the base plate with their respective slots in the distributor. The plate itself rests on a small lip in the distributor. If these tabs and slots are not aligned the base plate will not sit properly.
Pic 3: Drill a hole in the distributor to permit the wires to exit out of - use supplied grommet. Tape off the distributor internals to protect them from metal shavings. Also, the existing hole will need to be plugged - you will need to source a rubber plug.
IMG_1608 (Small).JPG
IMG_1612 (Small).JPG
IMG_1623 (Small).JPG

Pic 1: Mount the Pertronix Ignitor 'module' (red box) and place the magnetic ring on the distributor shaft using supplied hardware. Reinstall the vac advance assembly.
Pic 2: I had to shave the base of the rotor as it sit up to high when placed on top of the Pertronix magnetic ring - I did not want to shave down the Pertronix ring, but that may be possible as well. I used sandpaper and shaved off approximately 1/16" - you don't have to be exact here, just shave off a bit then install the cap and check to see if it binds by rotating the distributor shaft by hand - if it binds shave it down a little more until the rotor spins freely. I checked to ensure the rotor was making contact with the button located in the cap using some dielectric grease placed on the rotor button then checking for transfer to the rotor.
Pic 3: Pic of the gears on both the new distributor (left) compared to the old Toyota Distributor (right). I thought about pressing off the Toyota gear and reusing it but have not done so. I have not heard of anyone having and problems with the gear so I will run it as is.
IMG_1620 (Small).JPG
IMG_1625 (Small).JPG
IMG_1617 (Small).JPG

Final Notes: You will need to reuse your old distributor hold down clamp. If you don't have one, you will need to purchase one separately. Install the distributor and connect the Pertronix wiring per the instructions supplied with the kit. Reconnect the vac advance hose. I am running the Flamethrower coil and have removed the ballast resistor.

Insert the distributor making sure that the rotor is aligned with cylinder 1 on the cap (not on the block) and set timing once running. As soon as the engine begins running - verify you have OIL PRESSURE - if not, stop as the distributor is not engaging the oil pump. I did not have this problem at all - just stating it here in case someone does.

Installation complete.
IMG_1635 (Small).JPG

Pic 1: The base plate has two raised bumps (pointed out by the screwdriver), I am unsure as to their original purpose

Those two raised bumps are where you put one edge of a slot screwdriver to help you adjust the point gap...

Yep, nice write up, and good pictures!

In short, it works. The only significant modifications required, are 1)Drill a new hole for the wire exit and 2) Shave/sand down the base of the rotor lip about 1/16" as it will sit too high in the cap - although check yours to be sure as this may not be needed on others.

Pic 1: New distributor shown next to my early small cap distributor with Pertronix Kit Part Number 91665A already installed for reference (old distributor had a bad bearing):
Pic 2: Remove all points related parts. (Note to remove the vac advance it is necessary to remove the screw on the side and then remove the manual octane adjuster by unscrewing it all the way out. Now the vac advance assembly will slide out)
Pic 3: The felt wiper is held on by a screw located under the felt, pinch the felt wiper and lift it out to expose the screw beneath it.
View attachment 592418View attachment 592419View attachment 592420

In early 2013 I ordered a new Man-A-Fre 6-1 header and took advantage of the new distributor offer for $75. I installed the new distributor in my '70 F engine in February 2014 for the first time. Works fine. I installed this distributor in my '83 2F in June 2015, works fine. Want to convert to the Pertonix. My distributor looks like the one in your picture. It does not have a i.d. tag on it. I see references on Mud for Pertronix with three different numbers. I'm not sure which one to order. At first I thought it was 91662 but I think you have a 91665A, is that correct?

DSCN5364.JPG

Got it figured out! I called Pertronix as I was unable to attach a picture to their contact form. The fellow explained there are two units, the 91662 is used on the distributor for which the pivot pin comes with the points. The 91665 is for the distributor which has the pivot pin fixed on the distributor plate. This also explained why the MAF supplied points (I ordered an extra cap, rotor, points and condenser when I ordered the header and distributor) didn't fit. The extra points they sent me are for the fixed pin vs the pin coming with the points. So I will order the 91662 unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom