Transfer Case Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
kartchcustoms.com
OK, the transfer case in my 79 FJ40 is shot. I purchased a case from the same year 40. I'm in the process of taking out the case in the rig right now. I started going through the case I purchased and have a few questions. Sorry if any are too basic, this is my first.

a. If you aren't running the PTO am I correct that under the PTO cover plate, there is one gear, spacer, stake, and lock? Would the second gear in that area be for the PTO? I'm looking at the factory chassis and body repair manual and am a little confused.

b. Against what everybody is saying on the forum, I'm going to attempt to pull the case only. Am I missing anything? This is what I am planning on:

- remove ebrake cable
- remove front and rear drive shafts
- take off shift linkage (haven't looked at what this involves yet)
- remove back up light switch.
- put jack under trans for support.
- remove bolts on PTO cover (cone looking deal)
- remove bracket supporting tcase
- remove five bolts holding case to trans.
- 3 bolts along top.
- 2 inside inspection plate.
- remove nut holding on large gear and remove gear off shaft.
- slide transfer case off shaft without smashing self to death or losing any appendages using jack or some other anti-gravity device.

I'm going to take a bunch of pictures to document the process. I haven't found a really good write-up on the removal process of the stock tcase. Probably because it's so basic. Oh-well, I'll list whatever I come across in hopes of helping other first timers.

Are there any other seals or other things I should replace while I have it apart?

Any other tips / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If you only need to address issues with the transfer case, and the clutch and transmission are operating fine, there is no need to remove the transmission.

In the pictures you are looking at about the gears in the case…the helical cut gear is your drive gear for the case, and the strait-cut gear is the PTO gear. If you do not have the PTO gear, you will have the spacer…no big deal.

Your ‘inspection plate’ is a PTO cover.

The only other thing that you might end up needing is a puller to persuade the transfer case off the transmission, as sometimes, if not more often than not, you will need the a puller…I will try and find or post a picture of this… I posted one a month ago or so, and do not think that I have it right now.

You should be fine with your game plan. Pictures and text are always good to help out the next guy, so write things up and post up pictures!

If you run into anything, post up. There are many people out here that can help!

Good luck!

Thanks so much. I was kind of thrown a bit when I got the new case and it was "missing" a gear under the inspection plate according to the manual. Just wanted to make sure. If you can find that pic, that would be great.

I'll take pics of the process and post them if it will help someone else.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
does it have a 2f ? If it does you might have to angle the rear of the driveline down to slide the case off the tranny output.(might hit the crossmember) It will also help presrerve the tranny transfer seal when you put it back together. If you do ,make sure you look in the engine compartment for anything which might bind, break or bend as you lower the rear. good luck .

too tall said:
does it have a 2f ? If it does you might have to angle the rear of the driveline down to slide the case off the tranny output.(might hit the crossmember) It will also help presrerve the tranny transfer seal when you put it back together. If you do ,make sure you look in the engine compartment for anything which might bind, break or bend as you lower the rear. good luck .

Nope, running a 350. Thanks though.

I will be watching this thread with great interest. I want to replace my 1974 t-case on my Chevy 350 (has a crack) myself and want to see your photos and write-up. I am one of those guys who would be greatly helped by your account fo how to do it, pitfalls, photos, etc. thanks.

Azrocks said:
...I haven't found a really good write-up on the removal process of the stock tcase. Probably because it's so basic. Oh-well, I'll list whatever I come across in hopes of helping other first timers.

Azrocks,

You may want to take a spin through my thread in which I pull the t-case to replace the seal btwn transfer and trans after discovering my t-case was over-filling the tranny.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=39442

When you pull the transfer, measure the tolerance on the idler shaft...

Azrocks said:
- slide transfer case off shaft without smashing self to death or losing any appendages using jack or some other anti-gravity device.

!

Plan on needing a puller for this as most of them do not slide off readily w/o persuasion as mentioned above. This is often more easily accomplished with the transmission out, but it is do-able with it in as well. Also check the transmission output shaft for wear on the splines where the transfer case input gear rides. If the splines are nearly worn through, you may want to replace it. Many times you can hear this wear as a clunk when you shift from forward to reverse.

I just put my trans/transfer case back in on saturday. With a V8 and a AA bellhousing thats pushed the whole deal forward, you should be able to pull just the case. On my 79, there was no way it was going to happen. There should actually be 2 spacers in you don't have a PTO gear. The back rounded cover comes off, and the staked nut for the tranny output is there. Then a washer, then a spacer, then the bearing, then another spacer, then the gear. Theres another spacer in front of the gear on the back of the tranny too, but you should be able to leave that one there.

Well, dug into the project. I am waiting for my silver star so I can start posting up some of the pictures of my progress. You are going to laugh when you see what I found when I took the cover off to remove the rear bracket! I can't believe my 40 even moved! :D

Here's what you don't want to find in your tcase!

Got my focus off so will get better pics soon.

sludge.jpg

sludge II.jpg

A whole glob fell off when I pulled the cover off. You are probably looking at about half of what was in there! It's nice and shiny with all sizes and shapes of metal. Can't wait to dig into this carnage and see where it all came from!
sludge.jpg
sludge II.jpg

I C K!!! :eek: :eek:

peterb said:
Might also want to consider adding a tranny brace from Poser when you do the reinstall. I did. I hope it will prevent a future failure.
Peter

Poser, do you have a link?

I ordered a tcase rebuilt kit from MAF today. I figure I only want to do all this one time so might as well do it right the first time. I'll try and integrate the write-up of the rebuild as well.

I'm not sure if you have you t-case out yet but thought i would point out that, treeroot(78cruiser 2F,sm465,orion), had to undo his rear motor mounts and tip his engin back in order to pull just his t-case. Your clearences may be better than

Just FYI

:beer:

Azrocks said:
Poser, do you have a link?

I ordered a tcase rebuilt kit from MAF today. I figure I only want to do all this one time so might as well do it right the first time. I'll try and integrate the write-up of the rebuild as well.

They were listed in the for-sale section, and were 45.00us shipped.

I currently am planning on having more to ship on or before the 15th of March.

I have a few people that have PM'ed me about these, and have told them that I would PM them back when I have them to ship.

Thank you for your interest!

-Steve

Anti Gravity device suggestion

This setup worked very well for me. The chain hoist was $40 from Harbor freight.
I set it a little forward of the desired position so the assembly would naturaly swing into place. (click pics for full size)

Pulling the hump will make seperating the t-case from the tranny much easier. I had to use a couple of pry bars and eventually 2X4's to get them apart after removal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom