Auxillary Electric fan in front of radi as air pusher while crawling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before I begin, yes, I did a search and spent a good while reading a ton of posts on electric fans (diagrams, taurus, V8, mounting, FAQ links, etc), but still have some questions as most of the past topics seemed to cover electric replacements/upgrades behind the radi versus in front as an auxillary.

At slow crawling speeds the temp in my V8 will get up to 220 or so in the hot desert we have inland. SO, in preperation for the coming summer, I was thinking of running an auxillary electric fan (the PO claims he had one, but kept it) in front of the radi. This is just to cover the cooling issue when crawling as my daily driving temps are good to go.

1. what are your thoughts on a fan in front of the radi as an auxillary to the fan behind the radi

2. your thoughts on using a therma to control it, versus a manual switch to run it as you see fit. (I seem to tend towards a switch so I can run it as I want when I want.)

3. any side effects of having an Auxillary fan in front of radi that, when not in use, impinges/reduces air flow into radi when in general use and effect my daily driving?

4. your opinions on affordable fans for in front of radi as an auxillary

I read a post by Gumby that eludes to this setup and that Woody might be doing this setup?

i have one just for that reason, it get nice and warm when i crawl, i mounted it as a pusher see pics, it helps and no side effects, i run it on a manual switch, turn it on and off when i want, got it at autozone like 40-50 bucks dont recall, but very easy to do.

PO installed a pusher fan, it has a manual switch on the dash - on demand. It works well with my 2F, I don't have a theromostat but simply go by the temperature indicator in the gauge cluster. Only downside is that you have so little space to work with that you need to remove the grille screen and don't have a mount for the Toyota emblem anymore :frown:

DSRTRDR said:
PO installed a pusher fan, it has a manual switch on the dash - on demand. It works well with my 2F, I don't have a theromostat but simply go by the temperature indicator in the gauge cluster. Only downside is that you have so little space to work with that you need to remove the grille screen and don't have a mount for the Toyota emblem anymore :frown:

yeah, there must be a way around this. I now recall having to have the PO give me the grill and emblem seperate and I installed as he said there was no room b/c of the fan.

there must be nice low profile (under 2.5 inch thick) fans?

camcruiser13 said:
i have one just for that reason, it get nice and warm when i crawl, i mounted it as a pusher see pics, it helps and no side effects, i run it on a manual switch, turn it on and off when i want, got it at autozone like 40-50 bucks dont recall, but very easy to do.

hmmm... so I see you dont run the front grill either. is this because they just do not make fans thin enough to fit in that area bewteen grill and radi? or becuase you just bought what was fast and local?

BTW, can you post a few photos of a view looking down on the fan in front of radi setup so I can visualize the mount and setup?

thanks!

The one in my truck is the narrowest/slimmest the PO could find, he told me. It is held to the radiator by diagonal mounting strips that come with a pusher fan kit.

I am contemplating two options to solve the "emblem problem", either 1) fab a smaller grille that is held by the bezel, or 2) paint that newer Toyota logo (the roundish thing) onto the round motor of the pusher fan ;p . I haven't decided yet what to do. Just recently, I cannibalized the LandCruiser part from the IH8MUD sticker and put it on the Bezel so that the "nice Jeep" is going to stop. :flipoff2:

i just bought it, impulse. no grill and no emblem but i dont care it aint no street queen

i would say they look like CRAP, A Local guy has one that he cut the Heck out of his bezel and bib to make work.

I would say Get a better Radiator, or Inner Fan, rather than adding extra stuff..

But then again i DONT live down in AZ, so that may be needed.. (Ever think about moving??) lol

Its above 50 here and Feels like Summer Today!!

yeah ill get pice i need to get them for a few people tonigt.

isotel said:
i would say they look like CRAP, A Local guy has one that he cut the Heck out of his bezel and bib to make work.

I would say Get a better Radiator, or Inner Fan, rather than adding extra stuff..

But then again i DONT live down in AZ, so that may be needed.. (Ever think about moving??) lol

Its above 50 here and Feels like Summer Today!!

never had to cut a thing on mine.

yeah camcruiser13, I gotta have a grill and front emblem... that is not an option or open for debate.

DSRTRDR, I like the idea of a modified mini, tear down grill attached to the bezel. interesting thought. a foe grill as it were. but I am not sure that that would actually matter as that area is where the grill seems to bow in the most and where there are nuts sticking back for the emblem. also, what brand of fan and how thin did PO put in?

But, I would just think there must be some slim ass fan out there for situations with maybe 2-2.5" space to work with.

BTW, when looking at fans and considering the space you have to work with, are you measuring from grill to radi fins, or grill to the radi bracket (which is out much farther than the fins as the radi is recessed)? also, are these front mount auxillary fans designed to cover the entire radi or just a portion?

wantatlc said:
yeah camcruiser13, I gotta have a grill and front emblem... that is not an option or open for debate.

DSRTRDR, I like the idea of a modified mini, tear down grill attached to the bezel. interesting thought. a foe grill as it were. but I am not sure that that would actually matter as that area is where the grill seems to bow in the most and where there are nuts sticking back for the emblem. also, what brand of fan and how thin did PO put in?

But, I would just think there must be some slim ass fan out there for situations with maybe 2-2.5" space to work with.

BTW, when looking at fans and considering the space you have to work with, are you measuring from grill to radi fins, or grill to the radi bracket (which is out much farther than the fins as the radi is recessed)? also, are these front mount auxillary fans designed to cover the entire radi or just a portion?

for your needs i would just get a different radiator, or get a taurus fan. if you must have an emblem

Do you have a fan shroud on your rig?

yep.. custom fan shroud, new radiator (6 months old) and fluids, flushed, good therma and seals, big hoses, etc....

As I said, I have no DD issues or regular wheelin issues, just some slow heavy crawling issues in dead of summer, so just trying to plan ahead. It is just that V8 and no moving air when going real slow and working it.

anyway, it seems these guys are about as thin as they get http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/low-profile-electric.html at about 2 5/8 for 140 pusher.

Last edited:
If fan replacement is out...
Have you thought about an additional cooler instead of an additional fan?
Possibly wrap exhaust headers? (or manifolds, not sure which you have).
Maybe a ceramic coat to the exhaust areas?
My opinions on your questions
1) band aid solution to the problem. Either fix the initial fans limitations or up-size the radi (if possible).
2) Manual so can be turned off for water X-ing.
3) It may affect flow, but not noticeably, might be ugly looking though.
4) Junkyard electric ones from old Hondas, Nissans or Fords. Or you could go super ghetto and take like 6-8 fans out of old computer boxes and wire them up. They'd be quiet anyway!;p

FWIW, I have the same issues and will probably change to a Taurus fan this summer. But, just to throw out other ideas. I f it never freezes where you are, you could run distilled water with some Water Wetter or similar product in it. This should lower you about 20 degrees. You could also look at http://www.evanscooling.com/index2.html
I also "lean out" my coolant in the summer, by diluting w/ distilled water. This helps a little.

Taurus fan fixed mine...fit like a champ with only minor trimming. Really dig the amp needle being pegged when it kicks on too. Let's you know something is happening up there. That and the squirrels being sucked out of the trees and into your grill.
rutbeer 036.jpg

nice to finally see an install photo of the Taurus fan I've read a ton about.... but I am sticking to my story about just wanting an 'auxillary' fan setup (though I doubt it is going to happen given the lack of room).

wantatlc,

the only thing interfering with the grille is the motor of the pusher fan in my case. I doubt you can bend the grille to fit. I still like the idea of a faux grille and will go that route. I believe my fan has about 2.5 inches thickness, definitely no more, sorry have no pic.

And no, I am not running a shroud currently since my regular fan is from a later FJ40or FJ60 that had an A/C. I will have to fabricate a custom shroud (one of these days) since the 2F shroud does not fit (for sale, nicely rust bulleted, PM if interested).

Even in the summer heat in AZ wheeling, I rarely have to use the auxiliary fan (keeping motor oil close to full level helps); but then, I run a 2F not a V8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom