When replacing transfer to trans seal... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
...I am wondering what to do with my parking brake?

It doesn't look like I am leaking at the parking brake.

I am filling from t-case to tranny.

So I am all ready to replace the seal, but wondering what to do about my parking brake cable?

Will it reach to the ground if I leave it all connected and just place t-case on the ground?

I wouldn't mind pulling the t-case out from under the 40 to check the vent and clean the schmeg off of it...

But, if it means having to disassemble and then reassemble parking brake, then might be worth leaving it in tact.

This is my first time doing this job. I know a lot of others on here have done it many times...

TIA,

I'm trying to remember but I think I disconnected mine at the firewall and dropped the case. I want to say that was easier.

Pulling the brake isn't too hard . Leaving it hooked up and dropping the case sounds like more of a pain to me.

You should disconnect it, either at the firewall or at the drum. Not difficult either way.

i just unbolt it and wedge it up on the crossmember, then drop the tcase.

in case you don't know...the seal goes in "backwards". so the flat section faces the inner portion of the tcase. i did it wrong once before i learned....never forgot that one.

nuclearlemon said:
i just unbolt it and wedge it up on the crossmember, then drop the tcase.

in case you don't know...the seal goes in "backwards". so the flat section faces the inner portion of the tcase. i did it wrong once before i learned....never forgot that one.

So the spring faces the transmixer?

Once I pull the drum, I should replace that seal on the back as well, correct?

PabloCruise said:
...I am wondering what to do with my parking brake?
It doesn't look like I am leaking at the parking brake.
I am filling from t-case to tranny.
So I am all ready to replace the seal, but wondering what to do about my parking brake cable?
Will it reach to the ground if I leave it all connected and just place t-case on the ground?
I wouldn't mind pulling the t-case out from under the 40 to check the vent and clean the schmeg off of it...
But, if it means having to disassemble and then reassemble parking brake, then might be worth leaving it in tact.
This is my first time doing this job. I know a lot of others on here have done it many times...

TIA,

Get a box to put the case on while you work on it. One of those milk things works but so would most boxes. Or if you have a mechanic's roll-around seat it'll work too, and it's easy to turn under there. Don't let the case surprise you by losing it's balance.

PabloCruise said:
Thanks all...

I plan on handling the t-case by myself, or is that a mistake? How heavy are they?

Pretty awkward and the clutch is at risk.

Do you have the tunnel cover off? If so you can rig a sling type thing using either a cherrypicker or a-frame or something to take the weight and keep the assembly level as tou back it out and drop it down. i

t case is pretty easy...only problem is awkwardness when putting it back on...helps to have someone else to thread a couple of bolts on installation, but can be done by yourself

If the T case has never been seperated from the tranny you could be in for quite a bit of fun. I hear it's hit of miss but mine was an absolute bear to seperate.
I'm talking one piece case not the split.

nuclearlemon said:
t case is pretty easy...only problem is awkwardness when putting it back on...helps to have someone else to thread a couple of bolts on installation, but can be done by yourself

Once I get it on the tranny output, can't I support the pass side w/ the bottle jack while I start threading?

PabloCruise said:
Once I get it on the tranny output, can't I support the pass side w/ the bottle jack while I start threading?

Just be real careful not to let the weight of the case rest on the seal or you'll be doing this again soon. I rigged up a stand on a floor jack that would hold the case solid and steady while I got some bolts in it. Prolly easier to get someone to help.

PabloCruise said:
???

I am not pulling the tranny, just the t-case off the back of the transmission...

Oh, OK. I assumed that you'd take them together because that's what I do.

I have one on the bench right now in fact, a 4 speed tranny and transfer case that I took down together and spent the afternoon unsuccessfully trying to get them apart. Don't know why - the T/C comes about 1/2" back from the transmission and won't go any farther. I can see that the output gear and the spacer move on the splines but something has it solidly connected. No amount of pulling, prying, and cussing has helped so far and I'm wondering if someone might have put the seal in wrong or if there might have been some kind of damage to the output shaft. Has me stumped right now. Maybe I should have tried seperating them your way!

honk said:
Oh, OK. I assumed that you'd take them together because that's what I do.

I have one on the bench right now in fact, a 4 speed tranny and transfer case that I took down together and spent the afternoon unsuccessfully trying to get them apart. Don't know why - the T/C comes about 1/2" back from the transmission and won't go any farther. I can see that the output gear and the spacer move on the splines but something has it solidly connected. No amount of pulling, prying, and cussing has helped so far and I'm wondering if someone might have put the seal in wrong or if there might have been some kind of damage to the output shaft. Has me stumped right now. Maybe I should have tried seperating them your way!

You need a transfer case puller.

j/k :flipoff2:

B

You mean another puller. I tried mine, a big one with teeth but no holes. Thought it was gonna' work but it kept coming loose because it can't pull straight out. I need one with holes for the bolts to hold it on the case. Or I'll use a cutting torch. The input gear won't slide on the tranny output shaft.

yeah.. usually the gear is worn on the shaft a bit. In a pinch I've seen some 2x4 cut into wedges and hammered between the case's to seperate.
you probably don't need to do that if it's laying on the work bench :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom