man-a-fre auxillary tank question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so, I have one of the 22 gallon man-a-fre rear auxillary gas tanks under the rear tub on my FJ. works great.

BUT..... I cannot seem to find out the answer (man-a-fre website does not have it listed from what I can see), nor have I taken the tank off to see, but does that spare tank have the setup on it for a sending unit so I could hook up a gas level gauge? if so, I would like to get another generic sending unit (like on my front tank) and hook it up to a gauage in the truck.

just poking around, you cannot see above the tank so no way to tell.

Mine is empty and I am going to pull it in the next day or two. I can relay what I find then.

thanks lingo- that would be helpful.

BTW, why you pulling it? mine needs to be pulled and cleaned as it has rust.

if your talking about the tank under the rear or a 40... man a fre didnt make those.. they were from conferr... some have the place for a sending unit some dido not.. They were using them as a transfer tank that fills you stock tank.
HTH

wantatlc said:
thanks lingo- that would be helpful.

BTW, why you pulling it? mine needs to be pulled and cleaned as it has rust.

i am rebuilding the entire truck. So I thought that I would pull it and inspect it while everything else is apart. It was in the truck when I bought it so the condition is unknown. (truck didn't have an engine.)

wantatlc: It actually depends how long you have had the tank. The newer tanks we get out of Australia do come with a sending unit. If you do have the older Con-Ferr unit, I'm not sure if it will have one or not. Companies like autometer make universal ones you can add, but you have to know what your doing when modifying tanks.

Steve-O said:
wantatlc: It actually depends how long you have had the tank. The newer tanks we get out of Australia do come with a sending unit. If you do have the older Con-Ferr unit, I'm not sure if it will have one or not. Companies like autometer make universal ones you can add, but you have to know what your doing when modifying tanks.

well, I would only do it if it had a spot for it. if no hole there for it already, I would not alter it. need it to be easy on me :)

that being said, without pulling it, anyway of telling if it does? it came on the rig from the PO.

BTW, this thing looks pretty old.... outside is all rusted over and inside has rust so I need to pull it and get it cleaned and lined (are new ones aluminum)?

I need a skid plate for mine. does any one have they have made? I was thinking about bending some tube and forming a basket around the back half of the tank. sorry for the high jack.

lingo said:
I need a skid plate for mine. does any one have they have made? I was thinking about bending some tube and forming a basket around the back half of the tank. sorry for the high jack.

actually, now that you say that, mine is covered by a skid plate I believe. PO told me "that is a skid plate over that rear tank" I now recall. Maybe it is the skidplate that is so skanky looking when I look up under there. I will shoot a photo.

wantatlc said:
actually, now that you say that, mine is covered by a skid plate I believe. PO told me "that is a skid plate over that rear tank" I now recall. Maybe it is the skidplate that is so skanky looking when I look up under there. I will shoot a photo.

Mine has the same one. I meant a skid that would take a hit and not dent my tank. The stupid thing hang so low.

I just bought a universal sender, cut a hole and dropped it in. Works great, just had to bend the float arm so it didn't hit the sides or the bottom.

yeah, now when I go look, it is NOT a skid plate. it is the tank itself. 4 bolts hanging low AND I can see the gas outlet hose coming out of the tank versus coming out of a hole in a skid plate then going to the tank.

jhaha said:
I just bought a universal sender, cut a hole and dropped it in. Works great, just had to bend the float arm so it didn't hit the sides or the bottom.

I have a generic universal sender and gauge already for my main tank..... but did you do that for a man-a-fre auxillary tank.. and it had no hole?

Yes I took the aux tank, used a hole saw to cut a hole just big enough to fit the float and rod in, figured how the rod needed to be bent, drilled holes for the cap, cleaned the tank about a million times, RTV around the holes and screwed the cap down. Doesn't leak and works well.

That sounds like my old gas tank. It bolts to the body with four long bolts. That tank had a sender hole in it.

Greenfox,

When you say it bolts to the body, which part of the body? I think I might have the same kind, mine bolts to the floor with three very long bolts that go through the tank itself. There are tubes welded all the way through for the bolts to pass through. Mine does not have a hole for the sending unit though.

How is everyone's elses tanks attached to the body? Does it mount to the frame or the floor of the tub?

Jhaha. Did you hook the sender up to the stock fuel guage? Or, an aftermarket unit. If to the stock fuel guage, which sender did you use? Thanks.

Yes like you said. But not any more I welded three pieces of angle iron to the tank that bolts to the frame. I need to find some pics of that project. I have some good pics of the filler neck set up if you need some.

Mine is an aftermarket autometer gauge. From what I recall the resistance of the stock sender/gauge is either half or twice that of the universal one.

Shucks, thought you might have found a matching sender. You're correct and the stock is 1/2 most "universals".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom