Trailer hitch install questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found a hitch that fits. This one is a Draw Tite 75725. It bolts right up for the most part but I will need to drill. However, I have these small bumps on the frame that look like alignment pins for the frame. Any suggestions on what to do with them? They are preventing the hitch from laying flat on the frame and cause a bit of a space between the hitch and bumper.

Thanks
Brandon

F14E12A4-6438-41C5-8205-8E8398306721.jpeg

9004400E-6685-4AD2-A874-C927A05C6526.jpeg

F65589AF-F496-4B63-8EA7-529AB3514F7B.jpeg

The front holes have to be drilled with that class of hitch, correct. The rear pair of holes on each side should line up.

The small "bumps" are rivet heads. That's what's holding the frame together. Get solid spacers of some kind (preferably not a stack of washers) and bolt it up.

^^^ What he said...

Alternatively, mark where the rivet heads hit the mount, and use a 1/2" drill bit to make a recess (or complete hole) so it can sit flush.

- Brian

I used some superstrut thick washers as spacers for my hitch. Thick square washers that are about as wide as the frame rail. Just pulled my trailer some 1800 miles without issues. Superstrut is available at most home depot stores. HTH.

Use some thick metal as spacers to fill gap. Drilling out the rivets holding the frame together sounds sketchy.

Use some thick metal as spacers to fill gap. Drilling out the rivets holding the frame together sounds sketchy.

Pretty sure the idea was to drill out the hitch frame and not the rivets.

Edit: Never mind. I was a bit slow.

Nice. I’ll get one of these. Hadn’t found anything that would pretty much bolt on that wasn’t super pricey and was about to just make one but with what time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom