FJ62 Carpet Install Question - Rear Cargo Area (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I'm in the middle of test fitting and installing a carpet set from Factory Interiors and I had a question about the rear section for install (maybe more to follow once I install the front and middle sections. 1988-1990 Toyota Land Cruiser Carpet Replacement - FJ62 - Nylon Complete | Factory Interiors - https://www.factoryinteriors.com/wn-product/1988-1990-toyota-land-cruiser-carpet-replacement-fj62-nylon-complete-298153/

I have the rear piece uncut and screwed in at the beginning of the cargo area under the metal runner and at the seat backing held in with the brown framing around the seat back. I've seen a few approaches to this in my thread research and thought I would post here for clarity since none of the existing threads highlight this section for the install.

When I move the seat back, the carpet bunches up since it's not glued to the floorboards with adhesive. I also have the jute padding under the carpet, not glued in place, just in the spot. Before I do any gluing or cutting, what's the best way to complete this install? Cut and separate the rear carpet or keep the piece connected and glue it down to the floorboards to prevent bunching?

Does anyone have a factory OEM carpet set they could surface for reference? Image boards are all over the place with different approaches to this section and I'd just like to stick with the original method.

IMG_2378.JPG
IMG_2380.JPG
IMG_2381.JPG

I think I just fixed this actually, after more research and seeing a lot of folks with the single carpet piece intact, I decided to try to make that work. I got rid of the buckling when the seat was up by taking the tailgate edge of the carpet further back. I had mine run halfway through the metal bar and this time I took the carpet all the way to the rubber tailgate seal so it's running the full width of the metal end bar. This way, it prevents the carpet from bunching up and still leaves enough room to lay the seat down with no cutting or adhesive needed.

Feels silly to have a thread for this now, but oh well. Maybe someone will find this useful one day.

@TheElegantFox - Your post is valid - I fought this a little bit on some homemade carpet I installed on my rear floor and seat back. Good job on figuring out an elegant (no pun intended) solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom