Toyota Trails Literary Scholars Club (*Spoiler Alert!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back in the day there were separate tech sections, one for Cruisers and the other for mini trucks and 4Runners. After Mark Watley retired from the Cruiser tech section (Mark has a wealth of Cruiser knowledge and has a Cruiser shop in AK), all that's left is the mini/Taco/4Runner tech section.
That explains it! Thanks- I was beginning to wonder if y’all were correct about the absolute unrivaled superiority of an actual Land Cruiser as being unbreakable while this poor 4Runners were left with no other option but to write into TT magazine in hopes that Land Cruiser guru could get it running again :p

Dude.....Spoiler Alert! I haven't even got mine yet.
Maybe don’t join the literary scholar club meeting if you haven’t done the homework yet?!?

Do you still have that truck? How did the frame ultimately hold up?
No, unfortunately the old Creamsicle is gone. After I flopped it at Rausch Creek I wanted to put a roll cage in it but doing that in an enclosed truck is more than I wanted to tackle. The body mounts weren't the best and although I did get a guy to fix up the rear quarter good enough to fit back in a good side window, I was seriously concerned about the body structure. About that time the 40 I currently own came up for sale, and I ended up buying it in 2010. Turns out the engine in the 40 was VERY tired so I decided to swap in the engine from the 55, a Jim Chenowith performance rebuilt 2F. Sold the transmission and doubler setup along with the axles and (sob) scrapped the rest. I regret that decision every day.
Frame wise it was perfect. I've had more than 2 dozen 55's in my day and have never seen a rust problem with the frames. Never. The Creamsicle was sprung over on 35's with FJ60 power steering and was a joy to drive both on the road and on the trail. It also was the most remarkable looking land cruiser I've ever owned what with its' stance and the orange and white paint job. Never failed to turn heads with the jeep groups or whoever saw it and asked what the hell is that thing?????
To top it off for three years before it was sprung over I drove it on my daily commute to work (35 miles each way) in the winter whenever there was a threat of snow. It was a tremendous winter vehicle, comfortable with the SR5 4runner seats and very sure footed. A lot of the guys in the club saw it, rode in it, and wheeled with it and can attest to what I've said.

Do you still have that truck? How did the frame ultimately hold up?
Yep. Still have it. The frame is in good shape, but I have to do some work to the rest of it.

I remember this article !! Didn't someone fabricate this frame for you?
Matkins out in Montana had been making Jeep frames and started making Land Cruiser frames. They made the pickup frame for me.

Matkins out in Montana had been making Jeep frames and started making Land Cruiser frames. They made the pickup frame for me.
That’s amazing cool

She writes, she wheels, and she puts up with @Beno. She’s like a land cruiser goddess. 😂

As always it looks like a good issue and especially looking forward to reading the rausch creek article. @JohnVee @landwagon @bkfj40 @Pacer @jfz80 and others.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom