Toyocom OBD1 reader review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got one these a couple weeks ago and it works intermittently at best. There doesn’t seem to be a problem with toyocom unit or the connection to the android device. It’s like the signal just quits coming from the ecu. Is there a way to check if the ecu signal or is there a setting I’m missing on the device? The few minutes it works is awesome but it’s annoying that 10 minutes in to my drive all data goes away. Any help would be appreciated.

I’ve have the same experience. It will work initially and then the device will not pair up with android . I’ve tried different android devices and still encountering same issue. Hopefully issue gets resolved soon.

my first unit works great,the second one i bought i could not get to connect,the third unit i bought will not connect,i'm done.
not disparaging the reader or maker at all.i would not trade my first one for anything it has been great and helps me keep an eye on what my vehicle is doing.

my first unit works great,the second one i bought i could not get to connect,the third unit i bought will not connect,i'm done.
not disparaging the reader or maker at all.i would not trade my first one for anything it has been great and helps me keep an eye on what my vehicle is doing.
What did you do with the second two? I'll take one to tinker with if you're just going to throw them away.

What did you do with the second two? I'll take one to tinker with if you're just going to throw them away.
the second unit was sent back,i was sent number 3 in exchange.if i cannot get it to work on a second vehicle using a second android device then i will let you know,if i cannot get it to work after that its yours to tinker away with.
i used to live on perthshire in west memorial,went to spring branch elementary.

BTW, here is how Jean-françois Breton told me to wire up the toyocom to the 3FE ECU wires:

The existing diagnosis box should already have +B,E1,TE,VF

VF(1) as it already is , is an output from the ecu telling us how much the ECU thinks the engine is out of tune or not. there is custom sensor curve built into toyobd1 needed to be setuped.

:) terms used later on in this email:)

routed = "wired from the ECU matching pin to the designated space in the diagnosis box ,making a T junction on the existing wire coming out of the ECU"

repurposed = "wired from the ECU matching pin to the designated space in the diagnosis box ,we cut the wire reaching the diagnosis box and solder a new wire to feed the diagnosis box designated space,making the old wire coming from the ECU useless now"

one wire interface = "monitoring only the injector signal we get RPM and injector opening duration, in conjunction with the phone GPS we can compute fuel consumption and trip information as well as injector duty cycle for engine safety considerations"

#10 is the injector signal, this should be routed to TS in the diagnosis box,this is the one wire interface( that one requires tedious android app configuration but this is to be covered very soon by a blog post about it alone)

THW (coolant temp sensor signal) should be routed to AB in the diagnosis box, this will allow us to setup the toyobd1 overheat alarm and know how hot it runs depending on conditions.

VS (the air flow meter output signal) should be routed to TT in the diagnosis box, this will give us an indication of engine load, this directly influences how much fuel is injected.

W should be routed to W in diag box, so you can get ecu error codes displayed into the android app when you read them.(this is for a more convenient experience when pulling codes)

additionally I believe the VF2 space at the diagnosis box should be repurposed so some other signal comes into the diagnosis box at that space.

I would route VTA (throttle position sensor output) to the now empty VF2 space in the diagnosis box, this would tell us how well the engine responds when we input throttle.

Will this only work with an android phone or is it also compatible with an aftermarket double din running driod software?

I haven't been able to get this to work on my Android head unit. It see's the device and attempts to pair but then things go south.

There are so many variables with head unit OS versions it'll be hard to say for sure what will work for you or not. I may try to do some OS upgrades and roll up my sleeves on why it isn't working but for now my phone works just fine.

Please keep the updates coming, those who have gone this route.

I'm going to get something as soon as anything is proven...

I've been using mine since around December ish without issue (except when I bring the wrong phone with me)

I got a samsung tab s8 2017 at costco for $139.00 and it connects just fine. It also connected to my son phone no problem. I like it

BTW, here is how Jean-françois Breton told me to wire up the toyocom to the 3FE ECU wires:

The existing diagnosis box should already have +B,E1,TE,VF

VF(1) as it already is , is an output from the ecu telling us how much the ECU thinks the engine is out of tune or not. there is custom sensor curve built into toyobd1 needed to be setuped.

:) terms used later on in this email:)

routed = "wired from the ECU matching pin to the designated space in the diagnosis box ,making a T junction on the existing wire coming out of the ECU"

repurposed = "wired from the ECU matching pin to the designated space in the diagnosis box ,we cut the wire reaching the diagnosis box and solder a new wire to feed the diagnosis box designated space,making the old wire coming from the ECU useless now"

one wire interface = "monitoring only the injector signal we get RPM and injector opening duration, in conjunction with the phone GPS we can compute fuel consumption and trip information as well as injector duty cycle for engine safety considerations"

#10 is the injector signal, this should be routed to TS in the diagnosis box,this is the one wire interface( that one requires tedious android app configuration but this is to be covered very soon by a blog post about it alone)

THW (coolant temp sensor signal) should be routed to AB in the diagnosis box, this will allow us to setup the toyobd1 overheat alarm and know how hot it runs depending on conditions.

VS (the air flow meter output signal) should be routed to TT in the diagnosis box, this will give us an indication of engine load, this directly influences how much fuel is injected.

W should be routed to W in diag box, so you can get ecu error codes displayed into the android app when you read them.(this is for a more convenient experience when pulling codes)

additionally I believe the VF2 space at the diagnosis box should be repurposed so some other signal comes into the diagnosis box at that space.

I would route VTA (throttle position sensor output) to the now empty VF2 space in the diagnosis box, this would tell us how well the engine responds when we input throttle.

That's it?

That's it?
That is what he sent me as instructions when I sent him a pic of the available signals from the 3FE ecu. Only real challenge is how to best "tap" into those wires. Either solder at the circuit board like he did, or do a quality t-splice (not some crappy plastic tap). I bought some quality wire terminals, I was thinking of shaving a small portion of the insulation off the ecu input wires, then clamping on the toyocom lead wires and sealing it with heat shrink. The soldering on the ECU makes me a bit nervous

These show OUT OF STOCK. Any ideas on when new ones are coming?

I want to use a old android phone I have with this. Does anyone know how to get the app on to a old phone that is not activated?

2 more stupid questions. Anyone know the normal value for what the air idle valve should be open during normal driving?

Also anyone know how to adjust the mph reading for larger tires?
Edit: found this. It is at the very bottom of the screen where you select what fields you want displayed.

Last edited:
i will pull up some of my saved data and look at the values,if i remember correctly it was 15-17%,will fire it up and get more numbers today.

Any updates from those of you having no data showing up sometimes/all the time? Bad units? update to the app needed? other?
Mine said it was "paired" the other day, but zero data in the fields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom