Towing an FJ40 on a U-haul trailer. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If, for some reason, you can't do it with the u-haul, I'll do it for you for diesel and beer (afterwards).
Will you get a body tub from Riverside to Atlanta for me two:lol:

I towed my 40 one a flat bed U-Haul trailer from Knoxville, TN to Rome, GA when I first bought it. No problems. Had to wrap the axles with the straps instead of the tires since they were 35". It was all good.

Howdy! I recon that most vehicles would balance out better than a nose-heavy FJ40, especially with some extra bumper/winch weight. When I moved to Arizona from Wyoming, I cheated. I loaded my FJ40 in the front of a 40' semi trailer, choked the wheels with railroad ties, built a bulkhead of oak pallets, and then loaded my entire household, minus my family and one Oldsmobile station wagon. Now, loading and unloading the FJ40 was a different story! John

:flipoff2:I wish I had access to a 40' trailer(that must have been an awesome sight by the way) . Or even just my own car hualer for that matter. I have a dolly, but it only works for things that are more less driveable already. I have a '63 Catalina Star Chief I need to move down to AZ from Montana and I'm tired of giving UHAUL money for these trailers. It was $220 this last time I used them.:crybaby:

Reviving an old thread. These uhaul auto transport trailers have ratcheting straps that fit around 30 inch tires only. Am looking to tow a fj40 with 33 inch tires. I am looking for some advice how to secure. I bought some bulldog ratchet axle straps but don't see d rings to secure to. I also could get flat hook ratchet straps.

Take the basket straps off the front and use these:

B/A Straps 2" w/ Delta Rings

then use 2" axle straps and ratchet straps around the rear end. This will hold the front tires in place and pull it tight to the rear.

I’ve been able to get the uhaul straps around 33s before. But it’s about 50% of the time.

The other times I wrapped it carefully around the axle to secure it. Having an additional strap or two for good measure is a good idea though.

Also aired down seems to help also. Like 15 psi or so.

I found some good posts from @Elbert

As long as there are d rings on the trailer , it should be easy. Otherwise I may have to Jerry rig.

20180829_131540.jpg
I have towed mine several times with 32 inch tires with no issues. The straps dont fit perfectly but they ratchet down very securely. Plus the safety chains fit nicely around the axles. Wrap the safety chain at least once around the axle.

I don't think California has changed much in regards to stupid laws since the 70's.
I bought an unregistered car from my neighbor for the engine.
Our driveways were next to each other with a 3 foot high chain link fence between them.
I rolled the car out of his drive onto the street and into my driveway.
After I pulled the engine and trans I wanted to haul the rest the car off.
I went the DMV about a permit tow the car and seeing as how his corner lot showed his address on a different street the official right away wanted to know how I got the car on my property and started telling me about the deep yogurt I was in for putting an unregistered vehicle on a public road.
I told her about the parallel driveways and omitted the presents of the fence letting her believe we moved the car straight across property line.
I got the permit but it was for a 24 hour period only on a specific day.

I suggest letting a professional hauler do the job.

I just brought home my 71 FJ-40 on a u-haul dolly this afternoon. They did ask what I was towing with and what I would be towing, hooked it up, tested my lights and sent me on my way.

PC280006.JPG
What size wheels do you have on the fj40? I have 32” wheels and uhaul saying they can’t help me.

Reviving an old thread. These uhaul auto transport trailers have ratcheting straps that fit around 30 inch tires only. Am looking to tow a fj40 with 33 inch tires. I am looking for some advice how to secure. I bought some bulldog ratchet axle straps but don't see d rings to secure to. I also could get flat hook ratchet straps.
I’m in the same boat.. well kinda.. I have 33 inch tires as well on my fj40 and uhaul is saying they don’t have any trailer that will work! Is this true?

I’m in the same boat.. well kinda.. I have 33 inch tires as well on my fj40 and uhaul is saying they don’t have any trailer that will work! Is this true?
The trailer has straps that go around the front tires, they aren't large enough to fit around 32" tires though. The FJ40 will fit on the trailer, you just need a different way to tie it down.

Chain it down via the frame. Front and back, make sure it's secured from moving forward or backward.

View attachment 1794860 I have towed mine several times with 32 inch tires with no issues. The straps dont fit perfectly but they ratchet down very securely. Plus the safety chains fit nicely around the axles. Wrap the safety chain at least once around the axle.
As I mentioned in this thread in 2007, I strapped my 40 around the axles on a Uhaul trailer. Uhaul did not need to know. The truck had 35s.
Uhaul is saying it will not fit because of the fenders on it he trailer. They are recommending I purchase some cheap used smaller front wheels so it will fit.
I may just spend the $950 to have a professional company transport it back up north.

Uhaul is saying it will not fit because of the fenders on it he trailer. They are recommending I purchase some cheap used smaller front wheels so it will fit.
I may just spend the $950 to have a professional company transport it back up north.
Mine fit. Don't know if the uhaul trailer is a different design now. :meh:

It will fit...that is so weird they are saying it won't. I just towed my FJ40 with 34’s about a year ago, using a Uhaul trailer. Worked fine.

kJkRwn0gRNC1LGLRTayz2Q.jpg

Last edited:
An FJ40 will fit just fine. I purchased these straps on Amazon. Running 33’s, and just used the U-haul ratchets. Yea it’s an extra $55, but I have them for next time I need to transport.

US Cargo Control Extra Large Tow Dolly Basket Strap - Car Dolly Strap with Flat Hook End Fittings - for Wheel Sizes 17 Inches Or Larger - 3,333 Pound Working Load Limit - 2 Pack Amazon product ASIN B07W7XQXNR
5C9309D9-03CF-4C74-8604-C59647A27682.jpeg

I used the uhaul straps on mine.. 33 x 10.5’s.. probably should have bought some other straps but it worked for the 500 miles I towed it.. looking back I would definitely buy some other straps.

240E99CA-7C2F-4513-B8BA-C1E4C723FB54.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom