Towing an FJ40 on a U-haul trailer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bww.com
This is not your regular question about towing. Here goes...

I'm moving from San Jose to Hollister real soon here. I was trying to figure out if it was fine to tow my project 40 behind the Uhaul truck with an auto transport? Project 40 meaning the front part is completely disassemled( no fenders, no hood, no front bib). I don't want to get pulled over by CHP because cruiser is not currently registered, but I do have title for it.

Has anyone towed their 40 with the front parts removed? Should I just hire a towing company to flat bed my truck to my new house?

Thanks for the help.

Within 100 miles? Get AAA membership with 100-mile towing and have them tow it. I know guys that have done it. I don't think AAA has a problem with it. This may not be cheaper than the tow itself, but you get the year's free towing and other services to boot.

not in CA but have towed a ford f150 with no frount clip or bed and my 40 from NC to PA through 3 states no problem. eccept the fiberglass top flow off going 70 mph hitting a honda.

The CHP does not really care what you have on a tow trailer as long as it is secured properly.

You do not want parts flying off it or for it to even look like parts could fall off it.

If it does not have a front end you may be better off having a tow company move it.

It sounds like it's just the sheet metal in the front that is off, and you still have the tires and axle, just wrap the front and tow away, If your using a tow dolly instead of a trailer take off the rear drive line, cheers, larry

The CHP does not really care what you have on a tow trailer as long as it is secured properly.

You do not want parts flying off it or for it to even look like parts could fall off it.
QUOTE]

x2 and just to add i have ALOT of experience trailoring my 40 on a uhaul auto transport. haha i literally have done it probably 20 or more times . i am doing a frame off and have trailored it lots of places with no fenders and once just a rolling chasis.

as far as i know its not illegal. i have NEVER had trouble with it in the past 2 years.

if you have a truck that can pull it i would think it would be your cheapest bet so you don't have to waist AAA tows.

good luck just make sure you measure from outside of wheel to wheel. a 40 is a tight fit. mine fits and the tires are 11.5 wide. good luck moving to hollister.

:cheers:

if you use a dolly i believe in california it needs to be registered, either up to date or non op. If none of the wheels will be on the road then it does not matter. This is only relevant if you get pulled over.

QUOTE]

x2 and just to add i have ALOT of experience trailoring my 40 on a uhaul auto transport. haha i literally have done it probably 20 or more times . i am doing a frame off and have trailored it lots of places with no fenders and once just a rolling chasis.

as far as i know its not illegal. i have NEVER had trouble with it in the past 2 years.

if you have a truck that can pull it i would think it would be your cheapest bet so you don't have to waist AAA tows.

good luck just make sure you measure from outside of wheel to wheel. a 40 is a tight fit. mine fits and the tires are 11.5 wide. good luck moving to hollister.

:cheers:

If it won't fit then my only option is to hire a towing company or use my triple A. My 40 is wearing 35's.

if you use a dolly i believe in california it needs to be registered, either up to date or non op. If none of the wheels will be on the road then it does not matter.

x2 Even if it's non op you need a moving permit to flat tow it or to use a two wheel dolly. I assume you mean full trailer when you say auto transport, so anything goes. Go slow and inspect the truck and trailer before you drive it. Uhaul is not known for keeping their gear in tip-top shape.

If, for some reason, you can't do it with the u-haul, I'll do it for you for diesel and beer (afterwards).

If it won't fit then my only option is to hire a towing company or use my triple A. My 40 is wearing 35's.

Uhaul trailer + 77 fj40, stock axles, 35 MTRs on 15x10s and had a couple inches to spare on each side. You need your own tie downs tho, the ones on the trailer won't work.

As long as no wheels are on the road, the cops shouldn't care. You should carry proof of ownership tho.

x2 Even if it's non op you need a moving permit to flat tow it or to use a two wheel dolly. I assume you mean full trailer when you say auto transport, so anything goes. Go slow and inspect the truck and trailer before you drive it. Uhaul is not known for keeping their gear in tip-top shape.

If, for some reason, you can't do it with the u-haul, I'll do it for you for diesel and beer (afterwards).

Wait, A moving permit? The truck runs and drives, the whole front and hardtop is missing( i should've mentioned the hardtop being off). I was in the middle of disassembly and painting the whole thing, but winter showed up.

Also it is a full trailer we're talking about. Maybe I should phone CHP and speak to them.

I would not bother. You will just confuse them.

You're right, I just got off the phone with them and they were totally confused. I told them all four wheels would be off the ground, but it seems like my questions just seem to piss them off more. Guy on the phone asked me "why would do you want to do that", like three times. That's when I said thank you for your time and hung up.

It seems like they were trying to confuse me.

As long as it's a full transport (full trailer, not a dolly), you can legally haul whatever you want on it as long as it's properly secured. I just towed mine on a UHAUL transport and it worked out great once I actually got it onto the trailer.

I would not bother. You will just confuse them.

You're right, I just got off the phone with them and they were totally confused.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
chairshot.gif

If this were me, I would try to get AAA to do it. I LOOOOVE AAA SOOOO MUUUUUCH! They have towed several of my vehicles that "Just wouldn't start". The drivers don't usually care that the engine/transmission are not in the vehicle by the time they get there... But you might have a problem being that it is not registered. For something like 70 bucks a year I get 3 tows up to 100 miles from AAA. Worth every penny just not having to put the thing on the trailer yourself. A U-Stall trailer is going to cost 70 bucks, and they will laugh if you "break down" twice more in the next year and call for them for help.

If you do use a trailor from U-Stall, I would not tell them you intend to tow an FJ40, or any Landcruiser for that matter. They are not "approved" vehicles for some reason (weight?). I have had several techs refuse to rent me the trailer for this reason. I usually come to my senses and decide I would much rather tow a Jeep or some kind of car that day, and everything is fine...

Looks like I'm calling a towing company. Anyone know a good one around the southbay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom