Towing an FJ40 on a U-haul trailer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll give Fast Eddy a call if the time comes. But there's a couple of people that owe me favors. I'll use those first.

Thanks for the replies folks

tow

This is being way over thought, people tow projects vehicles all the time. If you have the title there shouldn't be any problems even if you are stopped. As far as u-haul not renting for a FJ40, that is if the
FJ40 is going to be used as the tow vehicle.

I have been screwed (deliberately) by garages, etc that say they have a car transporter. I have made reservations and given cc# and no transporter. Call a U Stall store and ask the guy if he can actually see the trailer in the lot. A lot of them are scheduled to come back but they don't for various reasons. I have never towed a LC on one, but Jettas tow like a dream.

No problem as i have towed four times in last year on a trailer. Once on a uhaul and three times on a friends trailer. Just tie it down good and do not call CHP

When i towed mine I used the U-Haul transport. When I told them I was moving a Land Cruiser they didn't want to rent it to me . Told them I was mistaken and was actually moving a VW bug. That worked.

They also had questions about the tow vehicle. Fortunately I had access to a large Chevy pick up.

If it's smog exempt, why not just go register it? Last I heard, you don't have safety inspections in CA.

Not bashing you but that is why U-Haul gets a bad rap. People overload thier poorly maintained trucks and trailers.

The next poor guy who rents it will have problems with it and bash U-Haul about thier "Junk".

When i towed mine I used the U-Haul transport. When I told them I was moving a Land Cruiser they didn't want to rent it to me . Told them I was mistaken and was actually moving a VW bug. That worked.

They also had questions about the tow vehicle. Fortunately I had access to a large Chevy pick up.

Not bashing you but that is why U-Haul gets a bad rap. People overload thier poorly maintained trucks and trailers.

The next poor guy who rents it will have problems with it and bash U-Haul about thier "Junk".

The fj40 is approved and within weight limits for the uhaul auto transport.

I towed a 69 from vegas to so cal with front end mostly off. What was still on it I just ran straps over. First few miles I watched real close, got gas after about 20 miles and checked all straps and tie downs. Totally easy, no issues! I also towed a 72 about 600 miles with the hard top set on the body but no bolts. Just ran straps over that as well and had no issues. Behind the u haul truck you most likely won't have alot of air blowing due to height of truck, the only issue will be that you won't have a good view of the fj on the trailer. My experience has been no problems - just tie it all down good!

the issue with car haulers and landcruisers is the axle width. Tires arn't wide enough to fit the rails. It isn't a weight issue. A 2 axle flatbed is a better choice. As long as the cruiser is on a trailer no need for any paperwork. If an officer wants to question he will check the vin. Dollie or flat tow require current registration or a temperary permit to be moved on the street. If ramps are a problem with the flatbed, back it up to a curb. Use 2x4 layed sideways to make up the ground to trailer difference.

I just brought home my 71 FJ-40 on a u-haul dolly this afternoon. They did ask what I was towing with and what I would be towing, hooked it up, tested my lights and sent me on my way.

PC280006.JPG

Last edited:
They didn't give me any hassle and it fit fine. Same deal, they asked me what I was hauling and they said "ROCK ON!". My only complaint is that the wheels on their trailers are just a tad too far back which gives you extra tongue weight. I've used these transports for many different cars and it was like that every time. It worked out great hauling the 40 though. No problems going about 65mph or so. Stopped good, the whole 9...
P1010884.jpg

P1010880.jpg

Your probably right, but it was one of those big double axle trailers. Seemed to work just fine. I know the Cruiser is heavy for it's size but it's not that heavy.

those 40s fit on there great don't they! haha

glad it worked out for ya

The U-Haul trailers that I have seen are well built and appears to be one heck of a trailer, when it was new.

The big one I rented in Cedar Rapids Iowa had a weight limit of 5,000lbs. It was built heavier duty than my 7,500lb 16' H&H trailer.

I towed a 2006 Dodge Power Wagon all the way to the left coast with no problems.

Your probably right, but it was one of those big double axle trailers. Seemed to work just fine. I know the Cruiser is heavy for it's size but it's not that heavy.

They didn't give me any hassle and it fit fine. Same deal, they asked me what I was hauling and they said "ROCK ON!". My only complaint is that the wheels on their trailers are just a tad too far back which gives you extra tongue weight. I've used these transports for many different cars and it was like that every time. It worked out great hauling the 40 though. No problems going about 65mph or so. Stopped good, the whole 9...
P1010884.jpg

P1010880.jpg
Howdy! Try backing the FJ40 on the next time you use that size trailer. Then the heavier weight axle will be centered up on the trailer for better balanc. John

Howdy! Try backing the FJ40 on the next time you use that size trailer. Then the heavier weight axle will be centered up on the trailer for better balanc. John

The instructions on the trailer say "in bold letters" to always load the engine side of the vehicle to the front. I thought about it, but I got scurred.:princess:

I've moved mine twice with a U-Haul car carrier. As long as the towing rig is up to standards (class 3 or better hitch, wiring and able to pull) they don't care what the condition of the vehicle being towed is. As far as the legalities of towing, you can tow anything you want as long as it is secured (no parts loose or flapping around) and fits the under 8' wide criteria. Otherwise you do need a permit. The 40 you are describing is not illegal to tow.

The instructions on the trailer say "in bold letters" to always load the engine side of the vehicle to the front. I thought about it, but I got scurred.:princess:
Howdy! I recon that most vehicles would balance out better than a nose-heavy FJ40, especially with some extra bumper/winch weight. When I moved to Arizona from Wyoming, I cheated. I loaded my FJ40 in the front of a 40' semi trailer, choked the wheels with railroad ties, built a bulkhead of oak pallets, and then loaded my entire household, minus my family and one Oldsmobile station wagon. Now, loading and unloading the FJ40 was a different story! John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom