Towing a trailer with an FJ40? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.birdothebird.com
I've been driving my fj40 for 6 months across the USA and Mexico and now I wanna drive across Canada.
I am contemplating getting a small trailer that has a bed and maybe a small kitchenette . Something like a Boler or any 13 +/- foot RV

What I'm wondering is, has anyone used their fj40 to tow a trailer? Tow capacity issues? Any tips or concerns? Do we have to have trailer breaks even if it's a small trailer?

Note: I've never towed anything in my life

Thank you!

Francisco
Insta: @LandCruiserDiaries

00Y0Y_aMYp68yT6W2_600x450.jpg

00h0h_aeU68pZgH7i_600x450.jpg

Pops used to pull a 25 foot boat with a 40 series (v8 swap). Anything is possible.

How reliable is your braking system ? Drums or discs ?

Is your original F motor running good ? No overheating issues ? Clutch in good nick ?

Lighter trailers generally dont require trailer brake systems, but those Canadiens (spelling?) might have laws requiring it ? Worth checking.

Short trailers i find harder to tow because they react/over-react quickly. Reversing is a PITA, and requires practice, and patience. Both of those trailers pictured look light and doable for a 40.

I need pics of your FJ40 to make a professional assessment. lol

I towed 19 Ft. fully self contained for three years to all wheeling runs. Small trailers like you are showing above would not be a problem, probably even without trailer brakes. I believe size/weight of trailer determines if it must have brakes or not??? Sooooo, here's the deal- - -you have a short wheel base vehicle. That means what ever the front tires do reaches the rear tires much sooner than with a long wheel base vehicle. This means any jerks/turns of your steering wheel react much quicker on the trailer, so you must make slower, more gradual moves of the steering wheel when towing- - -you'll get the feel for it fairly quickly. Also, with heavier trailers double axle trailers tow much smoother than single axle trailers. Single axle trailers just bob up and down on your trail hitch ball, jerking you up and down as well.

I've been driving my fj40 for 6 months across the USA and Mexico and now I wanna drive across Canada.

You must have butt cheeks made of steel. I would normally say 'no', but if you have been driving it for 6 mo., you're up for an adventure.

Safe towing involves having overhead in case things go wrong. This is why you don't tow a Tacoma with a Tacoma, ideally. You can also tow 'anything with anything' for 10 miles - but not 2000 miles. I had an idiot pull out in front of me last summer when I was towing a car hauler loaded with branches. I swerved and didn't roll the whole thing because I was driving an 8000# crew cab F350 diesel pickup. The right tow vehicle for the job. Had I been towing this with my '98 4Runner, it wouldn't have been pretty.

I think an FJ40 is technically rated to tow 2000#, but that would be on flat ground at sea level. Panic braking is no fun in an FJ40 - and less fun with a trailer. If you tow those kinds of trailers, you will need to drive at slower speeds and leave a lot more room in front of you.

Suggestion - go rent an empty car hauler and tow it around for a while. Or borrow your neighbor's utility trailer (single axle) and load it with bricks to simulate a camper. Learn how to back a trailer. Try braking hard. Learn the limits under safe conditions.

You must have butt cheeks made of steel. I would normally say 'no', but if you have been driving it for 6 mo., you're up for an adventure.

Safe towing involves having overhead in case things go wrong. This is why you don't tow a Tacoma with a Tacoma, ideally. You can also tow 'anything with anything' for 10 miles - but not 2000 miles. I had an idiot pull out in front of me last summer when I was towing a car hauler loaded with branches. I swerved and didn't roll the whole thing because I was driving an 8000# crew cab F350 diesel pickup. The right tow vehicle for the job. Had I been towing this with my '98 4Runner, it wouldn't have been pretty.

I think an FJ40 is technically rated to tow 2000#, but that would be on flat ground at sea level. Panic braking is no fun in an FJ40 - and less fun with a trailer. If you tow those kinds of trailers, you will need to drive at slower speeds and leave a lot more room in front of you.

Suggestion - go rent an empty car hauler and tow it around for a while. Or borrow your neighbor's utility trailer (single axle) and load it with bricks to simulate a camper. Learn how to back a trailer. Try braking hard. Learn the limits under safe conditions.

Yep, rent a uhaul trailer and test it out, it's cheap.

Yep, rent a uhaul trailer and test it out, it's cheap.

Just don't show up in the 40 when you go to rent it. Doubt seriously they would rent you anything to tow behind a FJ40. Then when it goes wrong and U-Haul throws you under the bus to relieve themselves of any responsibility how you insurance company covers you. The SWB FJ40 makes a poor tow vehicle. I adjust my driving habits when towing which is a good thing. Always amazed how some idiot will pull right out in front of me when towing a car hauler with a vehicle on it. Driving across Canada pulling trailer behind a 40 doesn't sound like fun.

Just don't show up in the 40 when you go to rent it. Doubt seriously they would rent you anything to tow behind a FJ40. Then when it goes wrong and U-Haul throws you under the bus to relieve themselves of any responsibility how you insurance company covers you. The SWB FJ40 makes a poor tow vehicle. I adjust my driving habits when towing which is a good thing. Always amazed how some idiot will pull right out in front of me when towing a car hauler with a vehicle on it. Driving across Canada pulling trailer behind a 40 doesn't sound like fun.
Not to argue, but to be clear. I tested out a little uhaul 5x8 enclosed with my 40 to see if it would work and suit my needs. Much smaller than what he's talking about but with me all they were concerned with was that the ratings in their book were above their trailer weight. They didn't look twice at the 40. Things may have been different if I had rented a 7x14 or whatnot.

edit: on side note, I'm even having brakes installed on that little 5x8 I ordered, because towing with a softly sprung, short wheelbase vehicle can get hairy quick.

Last edited:
Not to argue, but to be clear. I tested out a little uhaul 5x8 enclosed with my 40 to see if it would work and suit my needs. Much smaller than what he's talking about but with me all they were concerned with was that the ratings in their book were above their trailer weight. They didn't look twice at the 40. Things may have been different if I had rented a 7x14 or whatnot.

edit: on side note, I'm even having brakes installed on that little 5x8 I ordered, because towing with a softly sprung, short wheelbase vehicle can get hairy quick.

Did they look up the tow rating of a FJ40? I rented a trailer last year from U-Haul. Can't remember the size of the enclosed trailer but it was one size down from the largest size. Rented it with our 2010 Sequoia. They asked if I planned on towing it with any other vehicle.

Many years ago a friend convinced me to tow his tandem axle 18' travel trailer on a hunting trip. Foolishly agreed but insisted we wire in his brake controller. After a long hill the grade slowly started downhill. By the time I realized it the trailer was pushing the 40. It was a case of the tail wagging the dog. If I wasn't able to used the brake controller to slow the trailer I'm sure we would have rolled. A brake controller is a must but still wouldn't recommend anything that Large. Largest I've towed since then is my M101A1 a few times a mile down a country road to a slash pit but other than that only a 1/4 military with a 40.

Trailer brakes should be on every trailer.

Towing a trailer negatively impacts every aspect of vehicle dynamics, acceleration, braking and handling. None of these attributes are particularly strong in an old short wheelbase truck with leaf springs to begin with.

I’m all for an adventure but having been in the middle of some pretty sketchy towing situations, I would think towing cross country with an FJ40 as your first experience towing probably isn’t a great idea.

I would strongly second the idea of borrowing/renting some trailer of similar length and weight to what you want and going for some test drives...

The same trip can go from easy cruising to a stressful, nerve racking experience by adding a trailer if it’s not well matched to the tow vehicle. It can be mentally taxing and tire you out, making the situation even worse. High stress situations in the confines of a vehicle aren’t good when traveling with a significant other either. Ditto for asking them to spot you when you’re trying to back up into some tight spot in the dark of night during a downpour after a stressful day of driving. World War III.

Did they look up the tow rating of a FJ40? I rented a trailer last year from U-Haul. Can't remember the size of the enclosed trailer but it was one size down from the largest size. Rented it with our 2010 Sequoia. They asked if I planned on towing it with any other vehicle.

Many years ago a friend convinced me to tow his tandem axle 18' travel trailer on a hunting trip. Foolishly agreed but insisted we wire in his brake controller. After a long hill the grade slowly started downhill. By the time I realized it the trailer was pushing the 40. It was a case of the tail wagging the dog. If I wasn't able to used the brake controller to slow the trailer I'm sure we would have rolled. A brake controller is a must but still wouldn't recommend anything that Large. Largest I've towed since then is my M101A1 a few times a mile down a country road to a slash pit but other than that only a 1/4 military with a 40.

I agree with you buddy, sketchy towing with a 40. Like I said I'm even going to put brakes on my 5x8, which I'm pretty sure weighs even less than a M101. Yea, they looked up the tow rating of my FJ40 and apparently the 5x8 I rented came in under that rating. That's all I know dude.

Trailer brakes should be on every trailer.

Towing a trailer negatively impacts every aspect of vehicle dynamics, acceleration, braking and handling. None of these attributes are particularly strong in an old short wheelbase truck with leaf springs to begin with.

I’m all for an adventure but having been in the middle of some pretty sketchy towing situations, I would think towing cross country with an FJ40 as your first experience towing probably isn’t a great idea.

I would strongly second the idea of borrowing/renting some trailer of similar length and weight to what you want and going for some test drives...

The same trip can go from easy cruising to a stressful, nerve racking experience by adding a trailer if it’s not well matched to the tow vehicle. It can be mentally taxing and tire you out, making the situation even worse. High stress situations in the confines of a vehicle aren’t good when traveling with a significant other either. Ditto for asking them to spot you when you’re trying to back up into some tight spot in the dark of night during a downpour after a stressful day of driving. World War III.
Arma[ain't]gettin'iton

I used to tow my old 16ft rigid hull inflatable with 60hp outboard 800km trips one way no trailer brakes. Never had an issue.
Fuel consumption was an issue though, I never enjoyed pulling a trailer with the 40. Here are a couple old pics. For the fun of it

FA13A1A4-914D-48A9-BB12-B1B09E482460.jpeg
B8A97C42-41A0-45E5-9034-9764248CA71C.jpeg

38CE4690-BABF-4E35-BD58-825B3A4E037A.jpeg

Last edited:
If your travels include mountains and higher elevation in general, on long climbs be prepared to spend a lot of time in 3rd and 2nd gear. This is assuming you have the 2F engine. Even more so if you have tall tires.

I would counsel against towing but I am a wus; I can just imagine the long line of cars behind me on a two lane road wishing me and my beloved FJ into the eternal cornfield.

Wow! That's the 1st time I've seen that thread. Haven't read the entire thread...but those pictures are mind numbing!

I was going to give advice to the OP about towing with a 40. Think I will let those pictures do the talking.

Around here whether uhaul will rent a trailer to be towed behind an FJ40 seems to vary based on the people working there. There is a large 'corporate' store that also has storage units and I've rented a trailer from them no problem. Told them exactly what I was going to pull their trailer with, they looked it up and said all was good. They even hooked it up for me. There is also a small auto repair shop that rents as a uhaul agent, they told me they couldn't rent me anything to pull behind my 'jeep'. I do believe there is a policy somewhere that says not to rent to people planning to pull with an open top Jeep.

Man, what a devastation. A nice FJ40 and a 100 series. One thing I must admit, looking at that trailer , to me it is sketchy on the strength and quality. I ALWAYS use a UHAUL AUTO TRANSPORT, they are strong, well maintained and insurance can be added anyway.

Around here whether uhaul will rent a trailer to be towed behind an FJ40 seems to vary based on the people working there. There is a large 'corporate' store that also has storage units and I've rented a trailer from them no problem. Told them exactly what I was going to pull their trailer with, they looked it up and said all was good. They even hooked it up for me. There is also a small auto repair shop that rents as a uhaul agent, they told me they couldn't rent me anything to pull behind my 'jeep'. I do believe there is a policy somewhere that says not to rent to people planning to pull with an open top Jeep.

Uhaul has a software program that asks what is the towing vehicle AND what is being towed. It is based on vehicle, tongue weight, hitch weight rating, and some of that is subjective to customers responses. Also, I have seen people rent a trailer using one rig and then go home and swap it to another. All is ok I guess as long as there is no major issues. If so, the contract states the original combination will only be insured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom