CLOSED --- TOUGH DOG SUSPENSIONS and TOUR FLEX SPRINGS---CLOSED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@1973Guppie @half k cruiser

Once I seem to remember reading the factory distance from the inner cone bumpstops to the strike surface and thought about using that to measure lift. I am thinking it is a better way to determine lift amounts now that so many are trimming fenders and not running flares. Anyone privy to this knowledge?

it's a mixed bag IMO, stock springs when they came from the factory are alot different than most of the stock springs now on these old trucks. IMO is best to do it individual for each truck and take a measurement before and after. Because of worn out springs most 3 inch lifts will give you more than 3 inch because the existing springs are worn out.

FWIW I just ordered a set of tourflex 3 inch springs, looking forward to getting them on and doing a review. I currently have some fairly new j springs and L shocks. I am hoping for better performance from just the spring swap. Others have reported good benefits from just swapping springs.

it's a mixed bag IMO, stock springs when they came from the factory are alot different than most of the stock springs now on these old trucks. IMO is best to do it individual for each truck and take a measurement before and after. Because of worn out springs most 3 inch lifts will give you more than 3 inch because the existing springs are worn out.

Clapped out factory springs and before numbers measured with them mean nothing in what i am talking about. I'm talking about a recorded measurement from way back in the day to compare with new springs that have been installed to find true lift, not what was gained from getting rid of 20+ year old coils.

For instance, my 2HF springs are giving me right at 4" of up travel before the center of the bumpstop makes contact. I'd guess before i had about an inch of uptravel before contact with the original springs, I know these arent 3+" lift springs yet i've gained 3" over my previous setup.

@mervo could you get a similar measurement from your passenger front?

IMG_20180122_142300.jpg

Definitely a step in the right direction for those wanting to get away from the taller lifts. Thanks for getting the numbers in guys. On a side note, how are you guys ensuring accuracy in your measurements ? When I do mine I put a magnetic stick right in the center of the hub, then measure from the fender, down to the stick. This keeps the bulge of the tire from interfering with the measurements.

am also wondering if measurements are skewed by those with flares or no flares....

@1973Guppie @half k cruiser

Once I seem to remember reading the factory distance from the inner cone bumpstops to the strike surface and thought about using that to measure lift. I am thinking it is a better way to determine lift amounts now that so many are trimming fenders and not running flares. Anyone privy to this knowledge?

All,

A few years back we put new Toyota springs on Andrea's 97 from the dealer. After the new springs, the front was at 20.375" and the rear at 21.125" I just measured it and my 92.

97- 3 year springs and 24,680 miles on them-- Front 20.00 Rear 20.625"
92- guaranteed these are original with 206K on them-- From 20.00 Rear 20.50"

Noah, IIRC a de-flared rig will have a 1" longer measurement from hub to fender well lip.

King and TD say their coils are based on lift over factory "showroom" heights.

Jason

meh

Last edited:
@NorCal97 came by the shop today and has the 3" TourFlex fully installed. He let me drive the rig and play a bit. I know he's happy with the kit, but I can say the feel on the street to the controlled flex of the rig is just incredible. No top heavy body roll even with a full basket ARB rack when hard braking and hard turning at 30mph. The rig just comes to a stop, no diving or roll.

I love happy customers and when the say "go ahead and hit that curb hard" just makes me smile when I'm driving their rig.,,. The 8"-10" curb felt like hitting a large crack in an asphalt road.

Was there a reason to not go with the 9 stage adjustable shocks on the front ?

Basically his load doesn't change up front and for what he will be using the rig for the 41mm up front makes the most sense. The 45mm are good for guys that range from a DD to a high speed rig. But the adj fronts tend to be set at 4-6 after a few weeks/months (basically same setting as the 41mm) and left there for the life of the shock.

The 45mm adj rears are ideal as the rig is loaded from 200-700# of gear/equipment.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom